Frugal, with pride

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Bell Canto DAC3, with some power treatment and perhaps a new fuse, it's competitive maybe at any range when supported. I still use my Bel Canto CD1, and the only DACs that compete with it once it's on power treatment are very expensive thus far. I think Bel Canto's weakness were their class D amps (they're good amps, but they hold back how good the digital stuff happens to be).

I enjoy that this started out with the Denon 103. I think everyone on here would be shocked if they found out what cartridge I'm using right now, after hearing it. It came on a TT I bought and I was about to swap it but after setup I dont really feel the need. The truth is that while better cartridges offer more performance, the absolute bulk is in everything else, especially the setup.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
The favorites I have run across include:

Dayens Ampino Integrated - $560
Dayens Ampino Preamp - $900
Dayens Ampino Monoblocks- $1600 per pair

The integrated can start to sound outclassed with some high end gear, but the Pre/mono combination steps the game up considerably.

Another is the Marantz HD-DAC1. If you don't need the disk-spinner, this $800 DAC offers almost identical performance when compared to the $2500 SA-14s1.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing