Frugal, with pride

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Even though I have a high end system, I am often asked - what frugal/cheap/economy/budget component do I use that I don't have to make excuses for. Something that to me is ridiculously cheap, and yet can proudly co-exist in mega-buck systems.

I'm sure that many members have their favorite component in this category, and I hope that many will post.

For me, it's the Denon A100 (and also the Denon 103) cartridge. I think that this cartridge appropriately set-up (as the compliance is a little low for most arms) can hold it's own against cartridges that cost many times more.

DL-A100.jpg

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Vintage Sony TA 4650 integrated VFET amp. I am using it as a high current phono amp through the headphone output, which is tapped off the VFET amp stage.

Sound quality is up there with the modern sub 5K components. $230 delivered, $20 for misc parts to stabilize electronics.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I used a Denon 103 for many years

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Great idea .. Great Forum . I fervently wish it generates many posts. I will post first about one of my favorite brand and about a much lesser known brand

Magnepan 3.7. $5495
To match this speaker in overall excellence one must be prepared to spend at least 6 times its price and even there, it is unlikely that you will equal the treble and midrange, let alone the sense of scale and bloom.. Magnepan make it very difficult for past owner to frget their excellence and value.

Again a transducer:

Seaton Sound Submersible subwoofer. ~ $2500 with shipping in the US.
Most audiophiles have no idea of this subwoofer .. Likely one of the best around. O stupendous, potent and clean subwoofer... I mean as clean as they get the equal of subwoofer costing even 10 times as much.. Oh Yes people .. House-shaking bass but delicacy and to use an audiophile cliche quickness: it stops on a dime.. Don;t let the price fool you, it will run circles around many celebrated subwoofers costing up to times its price.
Subwoofer integration is and for good reason, a matter of concern for many audiophiles. Myths, legends and inaccuracies are legion .. "Fast" subwoofers, "slow", etc are part of the audiophile vocabulary all inaccurate terms ... The Submersive can integrate with anything under the sun but and that could be a big "but" for many, it requires an external controller. It doesn't come with one I think... It is just a sub with an amp for crossover you need an external box. I like the Brutally cheap but user-unfriendly Behringer DCX-2496.. As flexible as you can think of and since I am proponent of multiple subs a godsend to control multiple subs in a Geddes or an Harman configuration.

More to come ...

Last edited:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Hi

Great idea .. Great Forum . zi fervently wish it generates many posts. I will ost firsy about one of my favorite brand andabout a much leser known rand

Magnepan 3.7. $5495
To match this speaker in overall excellence one must be prepared to spend at least 6 times its price and even there, it is unlikely that you will equal the treble and midrange, let alone the sense of scale and bloom.. Magnepan make it very difficult for past owner to frget their excellence and value.

+1 - my system in Singapore had the MG3.5QR with FM Acoustics 122, 266 and a pair of bridged Classe CA401's! That's a mis-match with price, but it sounded glorious. I still have a pair of MG3.6's in the factory.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I agree wit Frantz. the whole Magnepan line is an undeniable bargain. It competes regardless of the competitors price point.

If you don't want a dipole you should consider the Gershman Sonogram. A three way box speaker. It is cable, amp and digital friendly. It does what an audiophile speaker should without being fussy or finicky.
Here is a suggestion for an under $10k system. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=269762

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Reactions: Scott Naylor

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Denon 103r cartridge, kimber 8PR speaker cable and the Sony XA5400es SACD player - all punch way above their weight class.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sonos into Paradigm Atoms. If I were a student with a crimped budget and living in a dorm, I'd use this.

Laptop - Apogee One - Adam Artist 3s - If I were willing to live off Ramen for a semester, I'd do this.

Von Schweikert Audio VR-33 - for those that want big sound without the frills (Factory Direct, USA only)

Linkwitz Orions and GR Research Vs- more big sound alternatives if you have the amps for them, most cost efficient if you have woodworking skills and assemble yourself

Emerald Physics - an alternative to Orions for less

This list could go on and on!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
No one has mentioned the Magnepan 1.7 at $1999

Big time...that is a steal. At the price, so were the Apogee Stages...$2500? The Forte 4 50-watt class A amp ($1200). The Celestion SL6si ($600). CJ MV60SE ($2000). I am told the Sumiko Blue Point Special ($250). Today? The Oppo Blu-Ray players. Magnepan 1.7. On a lesser scale, but still impressive value for money speaker, Thiel 3.6.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Bel Canto S300iu - Small form factor, can drive pretty much anything, USB input

Dali Ikon 6 - best highs for the least cash IMO

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Big time...that is a steal. At the price, so were the Apogee Stages...$2500? The Forte 4 50-watt class A amp ($1200). The Celestion SL6si ($600). CJ MV60SE ($2000). I am told the Sumiko Blue Point Special ($250). Today? The Oppo Blu-Ray players. Magnepan 1.7. On a lesser scale, but still impressive value for money speaker, Thiel 3.6.

I'll second that wholeheartedly. Amazing value for what it delivered!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Dynavector 20XL

REGA P5 with Rega Elys

Vincent SV-236

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I had a great time with a Nait3/CD3 set-up, also the entry-level Missions were (and are) a steal, I second the Oppo pick as well as including the Rega 3/Goldring combo. Too British some may say :)

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I would submit my humble Magnepan 1.7s. Wonderful sound top to bottom even if limited at 40 hz. Pretty amazing for $2k. I will move up to the 3.7s at some point.

http://www.magnepan.com/model_MG_16

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I had a great time with a Nait3/CD3 set-up, also the entry-level Missions were (and are) a steal, I second the Oppo pick as well as including the Rega 3/Goldring combo. Too British some may say :)

I regret having to sell my Oppo DV-981...Im like their products!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Denon 103r cartridge, kimber 8PR speaker cable and the Sony XA5400es SACD player - all punch way above their weight class.

- The Denon cartridge, check. ...And if I may add, the Audio-Technica AT120E for less than $99 (street).

- Kimber Kable, check. Plus the 4TC, 8TC speaker wires, and Hero interconnects.

- And in addition to that Sony CD/SACD player, a Universal SACD/CD player (plus Blu-ray & DVD Video/Audio playback, HDCD decoder, Internet streaming, etc.);
the Oppo BDP-95 ($999) for Analog, and the Oppo BDP-93 ($499) for Digital (HDMI).

>>> This thread is goin' to be very good. :b

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing