Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122

Thread: What do you use for vibration isolation?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    Why do you like the idea of thin layers of lead and steel rather than a thick slab of lead between two sheets of steel?

and how do we know for sure that lead is a good vibration absorber?
    Ron, what we discussed with lead or steel is mass loading the rack to control vibration nothing to do with vibration absorption qualities of these materials. There's also Resonance control that one needs to think about, what and how you introduce other materials is based on the equipment sitting on this steel shelf. There's absolutely no reason to introduce layer or layers of lead into a this slab of steel, what is it supposed to accomplish?

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Ron, what we discussed with lead or steel is mass loading the rack to control vibration nothing to do with vibration absorption qualities of these materials. There's also Resonance control that one needs to think about, what and how you introduce other materials is based on the equipment sitting on this steel shelf. There's absolutely no reason to introduce layer or layers of lead into a this slab of steel, what is it supposed to accomplish?

david
    Good points. My multilayer dual material approach is mostly due to the fact that I can can have a local firm to cut layers up to a maximum thickness of around 3/8" and I want to have some vibration absorption in the table, as I am going to put it on Fabreeka pneumatic insulators - my turntables do not have any suspension. Remember that lead sheet makes an ideal sound barrier, it has excellent mechanical vibration absorption qualities.

My approach is intuitive, I am not an expert in vibration control!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's and a DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack.

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    David, at 340 pounds I think my Frankenstein platform also satisfies a mass-loading objective.

If, in fact, lead absorbs vibrations why not also have the table top dampen vibrations traveling through the table top from either direction?
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: Thorens Reference (to come); tonearm: SME 3012R (to come); cartridge: ZYX Universe Premium X-SB2 (to come)
    tape: Studer A820 Mk II
    preamp: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies (ordered); amplifier: VTL MB-750s
    speakers: Gryphon Pendragons (ordered)
    cables: MasterBuilt (not yet ordered); power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 20' wide X 25' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Tower Slims

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    David, at 340 pounds I think my Frankenstein platform also satisfies a mass-loading objective.

If, in fact, lead absorbs vibrations why not also have the table top dampen vibrations traveling through the table top from either direction?
    Your rack isn't the problem it's the top shelf that we wanted to improve.

Lead doesn't absorb vibration it's used for mass damping like steel. Because of it's density lead has more mass than steel so a sheet, bar or lead shot will weigh more but it doesn't matter when you're talking solid 3/4" steel plate.

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Good points. My multilayer dual material approach is mostly due to the fact that I can can have a local firm to cut layers up to a maximum thickness of around 3/8" and I want to have some vibration absorption in the table, as I am going to put it on Fabreeka pneumatic insulators - my turntables do not have any suspension. Remember that lead sheet makes an ideal sound barrier, it has excellent mechanical vibration absorption qualities.

I like the the Fabreeka insulators, I use thick o-rings under the steel shelves. 1/2" - 3/4" is pretty inert you can use it with or without the lead sheets.

david

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Your rack isn't the problem it's the top shelf that we wanted to improve.

Lead doesn't absorb vibration it's used for mass damping like steel. Because of it's density lead has more mass than steel so a sheet, bar or lead shot will weigh more but it doesn't matter when you're talking solid 3/4" steel plate.

david
    Yes, in our case, we tried to find lead due to its significantly greater density (more compact, same weight) but no one will sell it here so we used brass which is the denser of the commonly available metals. It rings like any other metal, but on top of elastomers from HRS, or damping plates from Artesania, the ringing stops, and otherwise it works incredibly well to mass dampen amps, source equipment and especially the Velodyne...keeping away a good amount of vibration.
    Speaker: Wilson X1/Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amps: CJ GAT/Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable: SC:TA Opus 5 IC:TA RefMM2 PC:PAD25th/Sablon GCUber
    16 Isolation 'Sandwiches': Under: HRS/Stillpoints/Auralex Top: HRS/Artesania/Entreq/FiniteElemente/EAT/90kg
    Power/Ground/Shield: Dedicated 16A Lines/Furutech Outlet/Burmester948/NordostQX4 / Tripoint (TroySig+Thor) Entreq (Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap)
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Aperture / Amperex7308 Mullard(6922 6CA4 6X4) TeleE88CC

Hello Happy New Year,

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post

Three Feets from Fabreeka you need min. 95kg for 3-4 Hz Isolation...
    The Best Way is a Schiefer Slate no Metal or Layers of this it sounds no good.
    I have a 2 inch thick Slate 70cm x 55cm x 5,5cm weight 58kg.
    My Feets from here..you need 80% from Mass Loading for a good Setup

http://cplusw.de/de/din_luftfeder.php
    http://cplusw.de/zoom.php?datei=reso...ftfeder_gr.jpg

Name:  20170101_082623[1].jpg
Views: 89
Size:  1.74 MB

Name:  20170101_082637[1].jpg
Views: 87
Size:  501.9 KB
    Last edited by DasguteOhr; 01-01-2017 at 01:27 AM.
    Best Regards,
    Stephan
    Customade Thorens 124 with Air Suspension
    TW-Acustic 10.5/Zyx Airy3x DIY 13"Arm Ortofon Vienna
    Phono DIY Tube Amp ECC808 SUT Silvercore 1:20

Digital Foobar Kernelstreaming Aqvox IFI Purifer Low Noise USB Sonic Frontiers SFD 1 DAC
    for HiRes Files Soekris Dac
    Line Pre /Silvaweld SWC 450
    Power Amps/ Raphael Audio EL34 /Yamaha P3500S
    Speakersystem/Open Baffle 15"Coax Dipol Horndriver with active 15"
    Bass (30Hz-19Khz +-2dB) Signal Cable Pure Silver

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122