Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you use for vibration isolation?

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
    I can't afford the Herzan's or even Stillpoints, so I've had to improvise. I've been using butcher block with hockey pucks/felt pad coverings for years. Recently I changed to a butcher block that has feet and added the bottom portion of some Vibrapods (inverted) with very pleasant results. So if you're like me and my situation I would definitely recommend you give this a try.

Name:  IMG_0469.JPG
Views: 849
Size:  154.5 KB
    I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
    John Adrian Spijkers - "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
    Dynavector DV20x2L - Genesis G7.1f - Marantz Reference PM KI Pearl - Nitty Gritty 2.5Fi - Oracle Paris Mk.V

I use three Vibraplanes. Two for my amps and one for my turntable. Each is preloaded with a 136 lbs. steel ballast plate and hooked up to a compressor.

Name:  DSC_1711.JPG
Views: 767
Size:  1.35 MB

Name:  DSC_2351.JPG
Views: 777
Size:  2.66 MB
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Quote Originally Posted by Reid.Whitney View Post
    Hello All,

I work for a company whose expertise is in environmental isolation (i.e. acoustic, vibration and electromagnetic isolation). We primarily support the nanotechnology community achieve maximum resolution for their research data, however, I have found more people who own high-end audio equipment contact me lately inquiring about our types of vibration isolation systems.

This thread is not a solicitation for business by any means, but I am interested in what users of high-end audio equipment currently use to solve their vibration noise problems. I understand popular methods to mitigate vibrations from affecting audio clarity are: decoupling equipment from the vibration source, utilizing some form of dampening material (i.e. sorbathane or other rubber material), or suspended bunjee set up. Are there other, more effective alternatives to increasing the audible quality of high-end equipment?

If you are interested in learning more about my company (Herzan) and what we do, I will be glad to discuss.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing your feedback.

Best,

Reid Whitney
    Hi, Reid. Since the vast majority of distortions plaguing our sensitive instruments are induced by mechanical energy (vibrations) I figured this unwanted mechanical energy is best addressed by a mechanical solution. Especially since isolation methods most always trap the vast majority of unwanted mechanical energy inside our sensitive components forcing them to release their full energy and wreaking havoc within. Below is my mechanical solution to a mechanical problem.
    Name:  Green Thing.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  96.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by stehno View Post
    Hi, Reid. Since the vast majority of distortions plaguing our sensitive instruments are induced by mechanical energy (vibrations) I figured this unwanted mechanical energy is best addressed by a mechanical solution. Especially since isolation methods most always trap the vast majority of unwanted mechanical energy inside our sensitive components forcing them to release their full energy and wreaking havoc within. Below is my mechanical solution to a mechanical problem.
    Name:  Green Thing.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  96.1 KB
    Interesting support device. Could you clarify your statement in bold?

I was not aware that the vast majority of distortions are induced my mechanical energy as opposed to distortions from circuit designs or metalurgy in cables, etc. Are you saying environmental distortions, such as floor and air born, cause much more distortion and degradation to the signal than does the mechanical energy created from the components themselves, say a transformer in an amp or the rotation of a turntable platter? Do you mean the speaker drivers' movement as mechanical energy that is causing the distortions in speakers?

Have you measured distortion levels in, say a tube amp or source component, and then measured the same tube amp or source while it is placed on your rack device? If so, is there a measured difference in the amount of distortion?

I assume that my Vibraplanes lower distortion because I notice an improvement in clarity and definition in the sound through listening tests. I have never actually measured the distortion levels with and without the Vibraplanes. I would not know how to do these type of measurements.

If this device addresses the vast majority of distortions in a system, does it essentially rid the typical system of distortion, thus dramatically improving the sound? If it does indeed solve these issues, what then do you consider to be the next major unaddressed problem in the typical system?
    Last edited by PeterA; 08-16-2015 at 06:28 PM.
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Interesting support device. Could you clarify your statement in bold?
    Hi, Peter. I could clarify but let's wait until one day perhaps when there's a consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by stehno View Post
    Hi, Reid. Since the vast majority of distortions plaguing our sensitive instruments are induced by mechanical energy (vibrations) I figured this unwanted mechanical energy is best addressed by a mechanical solution. Especially since isolation methods most always trap the vast majority of unwanted mechanical energy inside our sensitive components forcing them to release their full energy and wreaking havoc within.
    I wonder if there is a consensus on this topic. Do audiophiles and others in the industry agree that the vast majority of distortions plaguing components are induced by mechanical energy?

The statement seems to imply that there is a consensus.

I think that there is a view that distortions are the primary reason that audio systems do not sound more like live music. If that is indeed the case, then in the current thread about system priorities, vibration control or now distortion control, should rank as number one on the list, if these mechanical vibrations are the leading cause of distortions. I placed it near the middle of my priority list, and the subject seems to be completely missing on other posters lists of priorities in that thread, unless they are including it in "tweaks" and rank it at the bottom of their list.

So I am curious about just how important the subject of this particular thread is to people and their ideas about system performance.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I wonder if there is a consensus on this topic. Do audiophiles and others in the industry agree that the vast majority of distortions plaguing components are induced by mechanical energy?

The statement seems to imply that there is a consensus.

I think that there is a view that distortions are the primary reason that audio systems do not sound more like live music. If that is indeed the case, then in the current thread about system priorities, vibration control or now distortion control, should rank as number one on the list, if these mechanical vibrations are the leading cause of distortions. I placed it near the middle of my priority list, and the subject seems to be completely missing on other posters lists of priorities in that thread, unless they are including it in "tweaks" and rank it at the bottom of their list.

So I am curious about just how important the subject of this particular thread is to people and their ideas about system performance.
    I've done as much as anyone related to mechanical isolation......

I've just spent the last 2 weeks completing my acoustical tuning of my room. some weeks/months back I posted about 2 (fabric treatments and closing a ceiling bass trap) other (acoustical) steps I had taken. in the last 2 weeks I made 4 significant changes acoustically to the room performance, and 1 significant speaker adjustment.

as much as I respect what my isolation solutions do (2 Herzan's, dozens of A10-U8 footers, 16 2NS speaker footers, and a mag lev shelf); the effects of those things pale in comparison to what I've done acoustically. orders of magnitude difference. acoustical distortions are what is in the way of musical truth to our ears. period. the gear is fully capable.

I will fully admit to being under the spell of the results of my recent work, so maybe I'm a bit too close to my apparent changes for proper perspective. YMMV.
    Last edited by Mike Lavigne; 08-17-2015 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post

I've just spent the last 2 weeks completing my acoustical tuning of my room. I had posted earlier about some other 2 other (acoustical) steps I had taken. in the last 2 weeks I made 4 significant changes acoustically to the room performance, and 1 significant speaker adjustment.

as much as I respect what my isolation solutions do (2 Herzan's, dozens of A10-U8 footers, 16 2NS speaker footers, and a mag lev shelf); the effects of those things pale in comparison to what I've done acoustically. orders of magnitude difference.
    I'd have to say the room is on top also of my list of priorities. I found with my Rive's acoustic package everything significantly benefitted. With my isolation...it was primarily in the areas of noise reduction, allowing more details, dynamics and effortlessness. The room changed all parameters...tonality, soundstage height width depth, balance across frequency spectrum...and the area of quietness, transparency, dynamics and effortlessness.

Don't get me wrong...Isolation is a crucial element...but I do agree with Mike's main point...the room is #1.
    Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
    Preamp: Robert Koda K10
    Amp: Nagra HD Amps
    Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus on sources, Opus Gen 5 Pre to amps & speaker
    Power Transparent Opus, Opus Source Power Cords & Opus Power Isolators
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
    Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnHam View Post
    I use Stillpoints thorough-out my system. They have provided an amazing, jaw dropping improvement in the sound. I started the process on a limited basis, and expanded their use as the improvement was not subtle. Each addition has achieved more, as impressive as a component upgrade, while not changing the basic nature of the system.
    I believe this is mainly due, not so much from external vibrations, but to the dissipation of internally generated vibration in transformers, etc.
    Agreed.
    I have found the range of Stillpoints very effective under components and speakers, particularly the Ultra 5s for speakers and heavier components.
    The rack is a Naim Fraim for practical and aesthetic reasons but the Stillpoints really made a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post

I've just spent the last 2 weeks completing my acoustical tuning of my room. some weeks/months back I posted about 2 (fabric treatments and closing a ceiling bass trap) other (acoustical) steps I had taken. in the last 2 weeks I made 4 significant changes acoustically to the room performance, and 1 significant speaker adjustment.

as much as I respect what my isolation solutions do (2 Herzan's, dozens of A10-U8 footers, 16 2NS speaker footers, and a mag lev shelf); the effects of those things pale in comparison to what I've done acoustically. orders of magnitude difference. acoustical distortions are what is in the way of musical truth to our ears. period. the gear is fully capable.

I will fully admit to being under the spell of the results of my recent work, so maybe I'm a bit too close to my apparent changes for proper perspective. YMMV.
    Hi MikeL,

Nice...quick question for you, did you find that linen or silk, tight weave or loose, absorbtive or relective, high or low count fabrics worked better for your acoustical wall coverings?

In the past I used randomly arranged kitty toys, cotten mice and feathers worked the best. However, the results were not repeatable...every listening session, they would always be rearranged.

Cheers!
    Alan

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast