Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122
Results 211 to 217 of 217

Thread: What do you use for vibration isolation?

  1. #211
    [Industry Expert] ddk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,916
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    Why do you like the idea of thin layers of lead and steel rather than a thick slab of lead between two sheets of steel?

    and how do we know for sure that lead is a good vibration absorber?
    Ron, what we discussed with lead or steel is mass loading the rack to control vibration nothing to do with vibration absorption qualities of these materials. There's also Resonance control that one needs to think about, what and how you introduce other materials is based on the equipment sitting on this steel shelf. There's absolutely no reason to introduce layer or layers of lead into a this slab of steel, what is it supposed to accomplish?

    david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers,
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.
    VENTA Air Washers & Humidifiers

    Manufacture: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack.

    System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

  2. #212
    VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    13,094
    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Ron, what we discussed with lead or steel is mass loading the rack to control vibration nothing to do with vibration absorption qualities of these materials. There's also Resonance control that one needs to think about, what and how you introduce other materials is based on the equipment sitting on this steel shelf. There's absolutely no reason to introduce layer or layers of lead into a this slab of steel, what is it supposed to accomplish?

    david
    Good points. My multilayer dual material approach is mostly due to the fact that I can can have a local firm to cut layers up to a maximum thickness of around 3/8" and I want to have some vibration absorption in the table, as I am going to put it on Fabreeka pneumatic insulators - my turntables do not have any suspension. Remember that lead sheet makes an ideal sound barrier, it has excellent mechanical vibration absorption qualities.

    My approach is intuitive, I am not an expert in vibration control!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, SoundLab A1 Px, Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE, Parasound JC2 + JC1 monos, TA OPUS MM2 IC's and sp, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

  3. #213
    Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Posts
    4,172
    David, at 340 pounds I think my Frankenstein platform also satisfies a mass-loading objective.

    If, in fact, lead absorbs vibrations why not also have the table top dampen vibrations traveling through the table top from either direction?
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

    turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Herzan + Taiko Tana + Evo LPS for Io, custom for turntable, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel, JPS in-wall wire, Furutech NCF outlets, Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: SoundSense A.T.I. + Lumitex drapes + Vibramat, ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks, self-propelled sound-absorbing cocker-poo

  4. #214
    [Industry Expert] ddk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,916
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    David, at 340 pounds I think my Frankenstein platform also satisfies a mass-loading objective.

    If, in fact, lead absorbs vibrations why not also have the table top dampen vibrations traveling through the table top from either direction?
    Your rack isn't the problem it's the top shelf that we wanted to improve.

    Lead doesn't absorb vibration it's used for mass damping like steel. Because of it's density lead has more mass than steel so a sheet, bar or lead shot will weigh more but it doesn't matter when you're talking solid 3/4" steel plate.

    david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers,
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.
    VENTA Air Washers & Humidifiers

    Manufacture: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack.

    System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

  5. #215
    [Industry Expert] ddk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,916
    Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Good points. My multilayer dual material approach is mostly due to the fact that I can can have a local firm to cut layers up to a maximum thickness of around 3/8" and I want to have some vibration absorption in the table, as I am going to put it on Fabreeka pneumatic insulators - my turntables do not have any suspension. Remember that lead sheet makes an ideal sound barrier, it has excellent mechanical vibration absorption qualities.

    My approach is intuitive, I am not an expert in vibration control!
    I like the the Fabreeka insulators, I use thick o-rings under the steel shelves. 1/2" - 3/4" is pretty inert you can use it with or without the lead sheets.

    david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers,
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.
    VENTA Air Washers & Humidifiers

    Manufacture: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack.

    System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

  6. #216
    Addicted to Best!
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    10,287
    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Your rack isn't the problem it's the top shelf that we wanted to improve.

    Lead doesn't absorb vibration it's used for mass damping like steel. Because of it's density lead has more mass than steel so a sheet, bar or lead shot will weigh more but it doesn't matter when you're talking solid 3/4" steel plate.

    david
    Yes, in our case, we tried to find lead due to its significantly greater density (more compact, same weight) but no one will sell it here so we used brass which is the denser of the commonly available metals. It rings like any other metal, but on top of elastomers from HRS, or damping plates from Artesania, the ringing stops, and otherwise it works incredibly well to mass dampen amps, source equipment and especially the Velodyne...keeping away a good amount of vibration.
    Speaker: Wilson X1 + Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amp: CJ GAT2 + Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable: TA Opus Gen5&MM2 + PAD 25th Sablon GCUber
    Isolation Sandwiches: Under: HRS.Stillpoints.Auralex Top: HRS.Artesania.Entreq.EAT.90kg Mass Damping
    Power/Ground&Shield: 7 x 16A Furutech . Burmester948 . NordostQX4 / Tripoint Troy Sig+Thor . Entreq Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex.Mullard
    Headphone: Sennheiser 650 . Arcam rHead . ApogeeGroove

  7. #217
    Hello Happy New Year,

    Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Good points. My multilayer dual material approach is mostly due to the fact that I can can have a local firm to cut layers up to a maximum thickness of around 3/8" and I want to have some vibration absorption in the table, as I am going to put it on Fabreeka pneumatic insulators - my turntables do not have any suspension. Remember that lead sheet makes an ideal sound barrier, it has excellent mechanical vibration absorption qualities.

    My approach is intuitive, I am not an expert in vibration control!
    Three Feets from Fabreeka you need min. 95kg for 3-4 Hz Isolation...
    The Best Way is a Schiefer Slate no Metal or Layers of this it sounds no good.
    I have a 2 inch thick Slate 70cm x 55cm x 5,5cm weight 58kg.
    My Feets from here..you need 80% from Mass Loading for a good Setup

    http://cplusw.de/de/din_luftfeder.php
    http://cplusw.de/zoom.php?datei=reso...ftfeder_gr.jpg

    Name:  20170101_082623[1].jpg
Views: 253
Size:  1.74 MB


    Name:  20170101_082637[1].jpg
Views: 251
Size:  501.9 KB
    Last edited by DasguteOhr; 01-01-2017 at 01:27 AM.
    Best Regards,
    Stephan
    Customade Thorens 124 with Air Suspension
    TW-Acustic 10.5/Zyx Airy3x DIY 13"Arm Ortofon Vienna
    Phono DIY Tube Amp ECC808 SUT Silvercore 1:20

    Digital Foobar Kernelstreaming Aqvox IFI Purifer Low Noise USB Sonic Frontiers SFD 1 DAC
    for HiRes Files Soekris Dac
    Line Pre /Silvaweld SWC 450
    Power Amps/ Raphael Audio EL34 /Yamaha P3500S
    Speakersystem/Open Baffle 15"Coax Dipol Horndriver with active 15"
    Bass (30Hz-19Khz +-2dB) Signal Cable Pure Silver

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122

Similar Threads

  1. Turntable Isolation
    By MylesBAstor in forum Isolation Devices/ Stands
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 02-04-2018, 08:24 AM
  2. Best Isolation Systems for Amps
    By brianherlihy in forum Audio Tweaks Forum
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 08-01-2016, 05:53 PM
  3. Isolation materials
    By ack in forum Isolation Devices/ Stands
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-17-2016, 04:34 PM
  4. Vibration, isolation and electronics...
    By Phelonious Ponk in forum General Audio Forum
    Replies: 192
    Last Post: 07-11-2011, 03:11 PM
  5. Vibration isolation for my VPI Aries 3
    By ack in forum Isolation Devices/ Stands
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2010, 06:02 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •