Finally get a dedicated listening room but it is small, suggestions?

Randall Smith

May 30, 2010
NC
Hey guys

I have finally made the decision to buy a new home and finding a dedicated listening room was a top priority in finding a new home. However, finding a big room to dedicate as a dual purpose audio room is tough. After searching for many months, I finally found a house that suits our needs. The listening room will be above the garage and unfortunately will be a bit small. From side to side, the room will be only 13'8" wide. Because it is a FROG, the side walls/"knee walls" only go up a bit over 4 ft. Then they slope up to an 8 ft ceiling that only leaves 5 ft for a flat ceiling. The room is 22'6" long giving me about 2000 cubic ft of space in the room. I am disappointed in the overall size of the room, but the house is a good investment and ultimately better for my family. I had to compromise a bit, but it is a fair compromise.

My issues are....

will my Rockport Mira's overload the room? I believe they will, but until I move in (August 1st) I will not know for sure
my current room treatments are made by real traps. Because of the low knee walls, my 50" mondo traps will not be able to snugly fit into the corners as they should be. I was going to use a few 36" tall wicker baskets in those corners and fill them with R-19 insulation.
I am going to install a projector in the room and have settled on Anthems rebadged JVC projector. I have also considered buying the SI Black Diamond Screen. Anyone have experience with this screen?

Anyway, I am sure there is more to consider, but I have 2 months to figure it all out. Right now, its just fun to plan.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
13'8" wide x 22'6" long
That is a good footprint, but the height of the side walls bothers me. I don't know the architectural style of your house, but a double sided shed dormer could be a solution. It's not free, but should be reasonable to do.

http://getsatisfaction.com/rickandersonarchitects/topics/garage_with_loft_and_shed_dormer

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/industry-news.asp?sectionID=1537&articleID=501486

http://www.free-ed.net/sweethaven/BldgConst/Building01/default.asp?iNum=0903

Need to mirror image this:
http://www.plan-itconstruction.co.uk/dormer_loft_conversion.htm

An alternate plan may involve acoustic panels on the sloped part of the ceiling to mitigate reflections (no dormers).

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/bass...iling-studio-project-acoustic-treatments.html

Randall Smith

May 30, 2010
NC
Thanks, unfortunately- changing the structure at this point isn't cost effective nor desirable. Plus, my homeowners association probably wouldn't approve it. :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Randall

congratulations on the new home purchase. With speakers as good as yours I would obviously recommend making no decision until you've moved in and set the room up. Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised

Randall Smith

May 30, 2010
NC
I will definitely hear my Mira's in the room before I make a decision, but based on my experience with these speakers- they will overload the room. I am currently reviewing a pair of KEF floorstanders that sound great and may energize the room enough to do the job. In my current room, which has twice as much volume as my next room, the Mira's are beasts in the bass.

I am planning on writing a couple of articles on the room and hopefully I can talk to a couple of experts to get their two cents on the room.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Dang Kach. You's Gooooooooood!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The good news is you have plenty of length to fire down. Your room is similar to my brother's room and his room sounds great.

Mark

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Those are just hot-links of other people's work posted on the Internet. Follow the links, I just found them using Google image search.

I agree with Steve, listen to them in the room before treating or raising the roof.

And here I was thinking that you did all these on CAD in 30 minutes!!!! Well, I've seen your web site and you're still good....if not quick :lol:

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
And here I was thinking that you did all these on CAD in 30 minutes!!!! Well, I've seen your web site and you're still good....if not quick :lol:
I'd rather sketch stuff like that up freehand, and I'd rather get paid to do it as well. The idea it's self was free if not original.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Randall,

Good luck with the new room. My room isn't really that much larger than yours in volume. My room is 19' 4" L X 14' 7" W X 9' H. I was forced to place the speakers on the long wall due to the number of components in the rack which would have interfered with the speakers and the fact that the room is used as both a Listening Room/Home Theater. I am not trying to undermine your thread, but I am posting the photo of the rack system to add to my experience.

In any case, at this point, I am still using my totally rebuilt (all replaced drivers- Dynaudio, Peerless, Proprietary and totally new crossover design) Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers for my front channel speakers. Jonathan Weiss of Oswald's Mill Audio has listened in my room and demoed his OMA Mini Horns in my listening room. Jonathan is building some new Horn Speakers for me that I hope to have in the next number of weeks. Both Jonathan and I have found the room to still produces very good sound. Once we get the new speakers into the room, Jonathan will measure the room performance and we will then build and install Acoustic Room Treatments. Jonathan has indicated that my room does not have any real problems and that we can deal with the "problems" relatively inexpensively.

Rich

Last edited:

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Hi Randall,

Congrats on the new home purchase! With 22.5 feet to work with you should be able to easily find a solution that will work for you. Question: does the flooring in that room permit some sound deading material being installed, or are they finished floors at his point.?

Randall Smith

May 30, 2010
NC
Thanks!

No, the carpet is already down and it is a thick modified shag that is new. While up in the room I clapped my hands to see how much of an echo I got and it is already pretty minimal. Once I put all of my sound treatments in and move the speakers around a bit, I imagine that I will be able to great really good sound. Speaker placement will finally be the top priority in the room!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing