The Tape Project

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I ordered 6 albums back in January for $1800.00. They asked for payment roughly 1 month ago and said they were going to use a new studio dubber. I have emailed Eileen twice asking for a status on my order. I have yet to receive a response. I have not called yet (Final step). Questions:

1) Are they still in business ?
2) Are they normally this slow ? I have ordered series 1 & 2 selections only
3) Should I just hang tight ?

TIA

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I wouldn't "hang tight." I would call them and find out what is going on. They may have misplaced your order and/or forgotten all about it. You have waited far too long.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
My last email was:

Hi Eileen,

Just checking on the status of my order. I know you charged my card so I was expecting them relatively soon. Do you have any idea how much longer until my order is shipped ? Thanks.

Chris Moynihan

Order:

TP-001
TP-004
TP-010
TP-013
TP-015
TP-016

If I don't hear anything by next week, I will call. Probably my last tape project order ever, unfortunately. There is something wrong with their delivery biz model...:(

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
My last email was:

Hi Eileen,

Just checking on the status of my order. I know you charged my card so I was expecting them relatively soon. Do you have any idea how much longer until my order is shipped ? Thanks.

Chris Moynihan

Order:

TP-001
TP-004
TP-010
TP-013
TP-015
TP-016

If I don't hear anything by next week, I will call. Probably my last tape project order ever, unfortunately. There is something wrong with their delivery biz model...:(

Christian, here's the deal. TTP is not known as Speedy Gonzalez in large part being the tapes are duped in real time. Number two, the first of series three has shipped as evidenced by a few people talking about it on TTP.com. But when you get your tape depends upon what number subscriber you are on the list. If you're late to the party, you'll wait a bit for the current releases. I'm around 105-115 and usually get the tapes three months or so after the first people get theirs. I know MikeL (when he got 1/4") and Steve have higher numbers than I do. Finally, if you're ordering a tape from Series 1 or 2, you may have to wait a while unless they ran off extras. (and some are out of print such as the Deccas because their license ran out a while back.) That's because back orders are run off in between runs of current tape project releases.

I know Dan occassionally reads our forum and maybe he can add something! Alternatively, post something over on www.thetapeproject.com forum.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
How many people could be ordering tapes ? I suspect not many. In any event, I hope they live up to their order promise.

I don't know a number but I'd guess they have about 150 subscribers and at least 50 that order single copies.

Christian, patience is a virtue when dealing with the tape project. I understand it can be frustrating but they are doing the best they can :)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I would still call them because 6 months is a long time to wait and they at least owe Christian an update status on when he might expect to see some tapes rolling his way.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I would still call them because 6 months is a long time to wait and they at least owe Christian an update status on when he might expect to see some tapes rolling his way.

Agreed.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I ordered 6 albums back in January for $1800.00. They asked for payment roughly 1 month ago and said they were going to use a new studio dubber. I have emailed Eileen twice asking for a status on my order. I have yet to receive a response. I have not called yet (Final step). Questions:

1) Are they still in business ?
2) Are they normally this slow ? I have ordered series 1 & 2 selections only
3) Should I just hang tight ?

TIA

Christian,

I am subscriber 94 and I had to wait much longer than one month after payment before I got the first tapes of the subscription. But you can be assured that the long wait is worth it - these tapes are really something special!

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
I was about to order some TP tapes so this concerns me greatly. I await your delivery before I move.

Bruce

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
My order was Jan 20th....I will give them till the end of next week, before I call them. I guess there will be no wine, until it's time...I know Gallo sux...lol.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I am 45 on the TP subscriber list and normally get my tapes as they are released. Helps to be on the West Coast where UPS ground only takes a day or two from Seattle. As I understand the production cycle, they do one tape title at a time to four slave machines. Given two tapes per issue, I would guess it takes about 2 hours (including loading, checking, testing, etc) to make 4 copies. So a full run (150 copies) of a new issue would take around 75 hours, not including all the steps involved in packing and shipping. Since the cost of inventory is extremely high (think about the cost of tape, reels, the very nice packaging, etc) I don't think they keep any inventory. So if you are ordering old titles, I think you have to wait until they have a break in the production schedule and there are sufficient orders to justify a special production run (I am guessing this may be 4 orders). Since I have a subscription, I don't have to wait.

Also, none of the principals have the TP as their main job, so for them I know it is primarily a labor of love and secondarily a business. Unlike most current business models, there are few economies of scale - I think it is closer to the old crafts, where each item is hand made.

A parallel example was my order with Quinton in Germany for their Sabina Hanks album. Their reel to reel reproduction is even smaller than the TP. It took over a year for me to get the tapes (a two volume set, like the TP). I even had to send a Euro denominated payment (no credit cards were accepted) at the beginning of the order process. Many emails later, I finally found that there was one person, working part time, who did all the real time duplications. My order was not on his top 100 things to do.

Larry

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks Larry. I guess patience is a virtue...

Which I don't have any of (patience that is). I was born without any patience and it has gotten worse since I have grown older. I'm now into negative patience. When someone dorks me over and takes time away from me that I will never get back again (think airlines) and then 'thanks" me for my patience that I don't have in the first place, it doesn't make me feel any better.

And really, the TP should have enough professionalism in running their business at this stage of the game to communicate with their customers and let them know when they can expect their order to be shipped. It's really not much to ask. Not responding to customers' emails who have entrusted you with their cash isn't real cool either. We all understand the process of how long it takes the TP to deliver tapes, but that doesn't excuse their lack of communication.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I see he registered here to promote his "open house". Nothing from him since.

Thread

That's pretty typical though. Someone will register here to defend themself or promote something they are selling and not participate in any other discussions. I see he has 32 posts though.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
My last email was:

Hi Eileen,

Chris Moynihan

Order:

TP-001
TP-004
TP-010
TP-013
TP-015
TP-016

TP-010 is Saxophone Colossus right? So "out of print" doesn't mean that it is no longer available?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
TP-010 is Saxophone Colossus right? So "out of print" doesn't mean that it is no longer available?

Yes, their license probably expired as I know happened in the case of the the two excellent Decca releases, esp. the Hindemith/Bruch!!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing