Amplification options with TAD speakers

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My Constellation Centaur Mono’s just came back from the factory, refurbished and updated to latest spec. Berkeley Reference DAC also updated to Series 2 MQA. Combination with the R1s is outstanding. Very detailed, incredible texture/color to the sound. No harshness at all. Micro dynamics and scale.

Congratulations - the latest Centaur's are really impressive amplifiers, the improvements were considerable. I was not aware that old models can be upgraded - great news for users.

PGA

Dec 29, 2013
To be clear, these are still Centaur amps, not Centaur 2s. I was told there were some changes over the years to the Centaur, and this is what was updated. The 2s are in a larger case.

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
I've recently listened the system Tad/Burmester of my dearest friend in Italy. The system is the following:

- TAD Evolution One
- Burmester 911 Mk3 power amp
- Burmester 077 preamp (integrated version)
- Burmester 948 power conditioner
- Burmester 089 cd player
- Burmester 100 phono preamp
- Turntable Delphi V
- Cables: Cardas Beyond/Nordost Valhalla
- Rack Burmester
- Fine Tuning: Taoc

The sound was superbly amazing. Particularly the precise soundstage, linearity, phase-coherence with a totally natural reproduction, highly powerful resolution, tonal correctness. Great sinergy.

22050054_10210772918899431_8816870487124684271_n.jpg

Reactions: CKKeung

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
The BHK 300 Mono blocks from ps audio are excellent on my Cr-1's. The best I have ever heard any TAD's sound, especially with NOS tubes in the front end of this hybrid amp. I imagine the BHK 250 stereo would also work extremely well for a more budget conscious set up. The tube input stage really allows this amp to sing and sounded better than the solid state input stage they prototyped.

Having owned these speakers for over 6 years I feel like they were ahead of their time in a sense, while electronics (at least on the amplifier and digital front) had to evolve to allow the CR1'S to perform closer to their potential.

Incidentally I am extending the range of my CR1'S with a pair of servo subs on the bottom and stat super tweeters.

I know common wisdom says that the R 1 is better, but I wonder if anyone has compared an R1 with a Cr1 and an excellent pair of subs?

I love having the ability to tailor how much bass and what slope it comes in at via remote control. It seems bass is highly variable in mix and mastering suites and taste of course. Mine come in at 40 hz and below, with the CR1'S being driven full range.

Last edited:

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Incidentally I am extending the range of my CR1'S with a pair of servo subs on the bottom and stat super tweeters.

I know common wisdom says that the R 1 is better, but I wonder if anyone has compared an R1 with a Cr1 and an excellent pair of subs?

I love having the ability to tailor how much bass and what slope it comes in at via remote control. It seems bass is highly variable in mix and mastering suites and taste of course. Mine come in at 40 hz and below, with the CR1'S being driven full range.

I have had TAD CR1's with 2 subs for 2 years. The CR1's played full range and the 2 subs with dsp till 38hz@60db/oct. I have tried the Ref One's for 3 week asside but couldn't get the sound right, to much bass in me room. And mids and highs were not better in my situation.
IMG_0006.JPG

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
The BHK 300 Mono blocks from ps audio are excellent on my Cr-1's. The best I have ever heard any TAD's sound, especially with NOS tubes in the front end of this hybrid amp. I imagine the BHK 250 stereo would also work extremely well for a more budget conscious set up. The tube input stage really allows this amp to sing and sounded better than the solid state input stage they prototyped.

Having owned these speakers for over 6 years I feel like they were ahead of their time in a sense, while electronics (at least on the amplifier and digital front) had to evolve to allow the CR1'S to perform closer to their potential.

Very nice setup and room! What is the material/those panels on the side and rear-side walls?

What sub(s) were you trying to blend in with the R1s?

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
As I mentioned some time ago on this thread, the Esoteric A-02 Stereo amp has the power into 8, 4 and 2 ohms and the damping factor (a very impressive 1000) to
both drive and control with a rock-solid grip, the TAD R1 Mk2s here in my system. I recently heard the Esoteric S1 stereo amp and had extended listening with the
Grandioso M1 mono-blocks and they also clearly drive the R1s (and CR1s) as they need to be driving without harsh edges or lack of dynamics or control. I also
had the good fortune to hear the latest Bryston top of the line mono-blocks also in-person drive a pair of R1s with extremely impressive results. Add all these
amps to the list capable of proper pairing with the TAD R1 or CR1s. From past listening experience Burmester 911 stereo amps and of course their big 909
monos also accomplish the task easily....

SSystemAfterReassemble-Dec2017-Speakers-from-left3-11Nov20171111_082008.jpg20171111_081957.jpg

Podeschi

Dec 28, 2013
Portland OR
Has anyone paired their ref1s with tube amplifiersto a great degree of musical satisfaction?
Yes I have the Air Tight ATM 3011R monos (220 watts per channel) driving them and they have never sounded better. A spacious and textured quality that wasn’t there before.

ozy

Nov 13, 2012
Atlanta ,Ga.
"Yes I have the Air Tight ATM 3011R monos (220 watts per channel) driving them and they have never sounded better. A spacious and textured quality that wasn’t there before."
thank you ,that's what I thought.... are you also using Air Tight 's preamp?

olivier

VIP/Donor
Nov 27, 2016
Munich
Last week i got a CAT JL5 and it is perfect for my TAD CR1! It performs much better than my TAD 2500 mk 2 !
I was already about to sell my TADs but with the CAT it is heaven: explosive dynamics, really nice mids and pleasent treble

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
CAT is high quality amplification for sure; great suggestion! I've said it before but will again (to the OP); if you can find one the Esoteric A-02 is also a perfect mate for the TAD R1s (and CR-1s)...

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
Hi Audioquattr,
I’m new here and came across this post. I was actually triggered by the posted photo and the Momentum amps on the TAD CR-1s.

l have read a lot on this site and forum(s) (Thank all, great site! Not sure why I came not an active member earlier...). Although I have happily lived with my ARC Ref 150SE for some while now, I am wondering if moving to a solid state amplifies would not bring me to the next level. I heard a lot of good things about the NBH-108, which is on my short list. But so are the Soulution 511 amps and Dan‘s Momentum or Progression Amps. Wondering if you were happy with the Momentums on the CR-1?

Thanks.
[/QUOTE]

PGA

Dec 29, 2013
Recently had Mitch Barnett set up convolution filters for my R1s. HiFi is vía Roon, with Roon running the DSP, TV via a PC Also running DSP. The improvement is immense. Everything else I’ve done is marginal by comparison. Amps are Constellation Centaur mono, DAC is Berkeley Reference 2 MQA.

olivier

VIP/Donor
Nov 27, 2016
Munich
In my experience CR1s bass needs a lot of power-my TAD 2500 mkII do have a lot of watt but biamping with 700 wpc Class D moved it to another level. A CAT JL5 and Hypex Class D fur LF is a really nice combination

PGA

Dec 29, 2013
In my experience CR1s bass needs a lot of power-my TAD 2500 mkII do have a lot of watt but biamping with 700 wpc Class D moved it to another level. A CAT JL5 and Hypex Class D fur LF is a really nice combination

The CR1s are somewhat less efficient than the M1 or R1, so it’s no surprise that they like big amps. Over the years I used several monoblocks with my M1s and then R1s, including Spectral, MSB, Pass and now Constellation. All sounded very good. Best combination, however, was when Andrew Jones came to my home and modified my M1s so the woofers were directly driven by Bel Canto Ref 1000 monoblocks with a custom crossover built by Andrew’s brother. I believe by then I had either MSB or Pass on the top. That sounded fantastic. Unfortunately the M1 cabinets kept falling apart and Pioneer eventually bought them back.

Reactions: Panas

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Why not go for the TAD option .
I heard the M600 extensively on magico Q 5 s which they controlled quite well .
Okay at 80 K a bit expensive but quit good solid state

PGA

Dec 29, 2013
Why not go for the TAD option .
I heard the M600 extensively on magico Q 5 s which they controlled quite well .
Okay at 80 K a bit expensive but quit good solid state
In between the TAD M1 and R1 I had Q5s. In my room the Q5 sounded very dry/sterile with several different amps. And I’d much rather deal with Andrew than Alon. Too bad Andrew is no longer at TAD ... I’ve never tried the TAD electronics, but I can say the Berkeley/Constellation combo is quite good. The Constellation amps have the transparency you get from Spectral, but with the timbre of a Pass amp. Still the most significant improvement for me was measuring the room and having a professional (Mitch Barnett) design convolution filters. Other changes to amps, DACs, cables... are rather minor by comparison. The TADs are very low distortion, high output speakers, but they do benefit greatly from a little EQ and every room needs EQ. My room is now within spec for a studio. The realism post EQ is quite impressive.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing