Amplification options with TAD speakers

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
Yes. with wilson and with B&W800. They drove them quite well, especially the Wilsons. Personally thought they were good, but not excellent. Not the most musical amp Ive heard. Had good dynamics but not as good as others. Of all I have listened it would be one of my last choices, probably ony before krell. My dealer does not like them at all. He has them almost all the ime off out of the demo systems... And he sells them... I dont think they are bad at all. Just all the amps I tried were very top ones, and most of them had something that made me like them better.

Maybe the fact that I dont think they get that much playing time is not helping them in this case.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Just an update from my end, I have switched out the 911mk3 for a dartzeel nhb-108b.

My listening notes comparing the two amps (on the CR1's).

• The dart portrays music in an incredibly natural and un-electronic sounding fashion. There is zero form of listener fatigue.
  • The dart has a much less ‘aggressive’ presentation, much less bothered by lower quality recordings which on the 911 can sound harsh and fatiguing.
  • The 911 sounds more precise, however in doing so lowers the ability to engage with the music, particularly with lesser recordings. Hard to describe... maybe the 911 sounds more accurate to the recorded material, but the dart sounds more accurate to the recorded event... if that makes sense.
  • Micro-detail: dart extracts much more detail out of the recording. It is more resolving and far more extended into the treble.
  • Imaging: The dart conveys a very deep soundstage depth which results in an almost holographic presentation, 911 is flat and 2 dimensional in comparison; everything occurs on the plane between the speakers.
  • The 911 has its iron-first control over the bass driver, which the dart does not. The bass on the dart sounds (ever so slightly) thicker, slower and less dynamic. In my listening room which is not very large, this is essentially a non-issue, the bass on the dart is excellent, deep, detailed and dynamic. If I had twice or 3 time the air volume to cover I could see this becoming a relevant shortcoming.

To conclude, in terms of musical satisfaction, the dartzeel really outshines the 911 (on the CR1's). Very happy I decided to try out this amp in my system!

Last edited:

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Dartzeel gear is amazing. I am glad you are happy with the NHB-108. It is the finest amp I've had so far. Thank you for confirming what I was hearing. All of your points are a mirror of what I was experiencing and are spot on. Thanks for posting this.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Correct Joost. That is my gear. I listened to an all TAD system at dealer with CR1 and then to the system described at my house also with the CR1. TO my ears, my system sounded better...

No I do not intend to chance any other component. Actually just ended building up. The New Esoteric I bought it just a few months back. It is the best digital source I have ever hear and not by a small margin... The ARC 40th is also a great preamp. I have not listened to that many preamps though, but I really like it since it is a mix of best of tubes and solid estate actually. And the big Classe Omegas monos are fantastic amps. I do not think many people have listened to these. People are more familiar with the delta series or even the smaller omnicrom (which are great). The Omega Monos although they are expensive at a 30K aprox, they are still half the price of things like TAD or Momentum, and to my eras are more neutral, transparent and effortless. I did listen to lots of amps before buying these, including Pass labs, ARC, Momentum, Krell, (TAD I listened after I got the Classe) Boulder... Overall the Classe was by far the best price performance. And in terms of pure performance maybe cam in second after boulder but not even sure of that. If you can, listen to them.

At 600 at 8 omn going to 1200 at 4 omn, should be more than enough to drive the R1s.

Interesting read...thanks for posting. I have heard Krell (several incl Evo Ones), TAD M600 monos, Momentum (stereo and mono), ARC (210), and Boulder 2060. In the end, i probably would go for Boulder first with cautious system-matching, then Momentum stereo. I prefer my Gryphon to both, but i would say that of course. ;) "M"MMV!

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
I was able to spend a lot of time with the TAD reference line electronics on the R1 speaker over the past few weeks. I was in Bangkok and the dealer there had the system setup for permanent demo in a dedicated room. It was virtually empty so I was able to go 3 times for around an hour each time with my own music. The system included the R1 speakers with the M600 amps, C600 preamp and D600 CD player.

First thing I noticed is that the speakers were not setup anywhere near what I have found the CR1's to work best at (or even what's indicated in the manual). They were setup in close to an equilateral triangle, however they were pointed forward with almost no toe-in at all. I was sitting probably at around 40 degrees off axis. At home I have my CR1's pointed crossing directly at the listening position. I spoke to the dealer about this and according to him this what the best positioning they were able to obtain, they even brought in a number of experts to help out apparently. The room was on the small size and perhaps this may have given the flattest bass response, but this was definitely at the expense of the midrange and treble which was a disaster. The system also used Nordost Tyr cabling which would be far from my personal choice based on my experience with Nordost on TAD.

I would say the system was probably playing at 50% of its potential based on what I hear at home and from full TAD systems I have heard in the past at shows in much more crowded conditions. The resolution, clarity, finesse and tone I am so used to with TAD just was not there. Such a shame as this was a great opportunity to fully understand what the ref system is capable of.

p.s. To those in Bangkok, the dealer is selling these R1 demo speakers at 50% off - he wants to put the CR1's in the room instead. Great opportunity!

Eli08

Jul 19, 2012
50% off on demos???!!! I would not hesitate if I were there. I couldn't be more happy with these speakers. They are truly spectacular and giving me by far my best moments of listening to date. The more I listen to them the more I like them.

An if you want to experiment with the system great fun as well. They will pass through very clearly any changes upstream. And by any, I mean almost anything...

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
I asked if he would ship abroad but he said Thailand only :). I am sure anyone in Asia would be able to get their hands on them thought....

Alexis

Mar 3, 2013
I am a new TAD R1 owner, after hearing/possessing quite all...
but it was not an easy path.
at the beginning I did not find the r1 particularly attractive, as long as I listened to them with well-known brands in the solid state.
the spark is struck them as soon as I heard with amplifiers VIVA AUDIO,
single ended triode amplifiers with 845, and I decided ....
now I have this dream team at home, in my not particolary big room, I can not imagine a better sound...:)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am a new TAD R1 owner, after hearing/possessing quite all...
but it was not an easy path.
at the beginning I did not find the r1 particularly attractive, as long as I listened to them with well-known brands in the solid state.
the spark is struck them as soon as I heard with amplifiers VIVA AUDIO,
single ended triode amplifiers with 845, and I decided ....
now I have this dream team at home, in my not particolary big room, I can not imagine a better sound...:)
Congrats! I have heard an all TAD reference set up in Tokyo at Pioneer Plaza. Would love to hear your thoughts on Ref1s with SS s I can 'calibrate' here a bit. Even without your thoughts, I am inclined to agree with the direction you took...does it have enough power for dynamics? Not familiar with those amps but 845 like Zanden monos to deliver some pretty serious power. Thanks for your observations...and enjoy!

Alexis

Mar 3, 2013
Hi before deciding I heard the R1 many many times with a lot of amp's.. including full Soulution, MBL, Spectral, Boulder, Vitus, Tad own amps etc.
Very good, but not so emotional involving and resolving like the Viva.
If the room is not too big, the Aurora monos 845 a more then enough for power (eventually one can consider horizontaly bi-amping with a solista),
for the "little" Cr1 the integrated Solista is also an EXCELLENT match.
Alex

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi before deciding I heard the R1 many many times with a lot of amp's.. including full Soulution, MBL, Spectral, Boulder, Vitus, Tad own amps etc.
Very good, but not so emotional involving and resolving like the Viva.
If the room is not too big, the Aurora monos 845 a more then enough for power (eventually one can consider horizontaly bi-amping with a solista),
for the "little" Cr1 the integrated Solista is also an EXCELLENT match.
Alex

Good to know...my instincts told me when i heard the Ref Ones with an all TAD system...that i would have preferred a different amp in there...for example the Mephisto.
This was last year. I think i would have been looking for a sound that appears (on paper) to be more similar to the sound you are creating with your Viva.

Of course, we all found out here on WBF, that is what Ultimate Audio in Portugal has on their website including some recordings they made of that setup. Emm DAC2X, Gryphon Pandora, Gryphon Mephisto into TAD Ref Ones...those recordings were extremely promising and made want to hear that combination live.

Alexis

Mar 3, 2013
Good to know...my instincts told me when i heard the Ref Ones with an all TAD system...that i would have preferred a different amp in there...for example the Mephisto.
This was last year. I think i would have been looking for a sound that appears (on paper) to be more similar to the sound you are creating with your Viva.

Of course, we all found out here on WBF, that is what Ultimate Audio in Portugal has on their website including some recordings they made of that setup. Emm DAC2X, Gryphon Pandora, Gryphon Mephisto into TAD Ref Ones...those recordings were extremely promising and made want to hear that combination live.

Hi, i am also very interested to hear other combinations with Tad's.
Regarding the Gryphon, is a little "dark" sounding, imho.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi, i am also very interested to hear other combinations with Tad's.
Regarding the Gryphon, is a little "dark" sounding, imho.

If you do hear them, please post! If you wish for a beautifully illuminated treble, I have heard a Goldmund a while back that was the first SS i heard that in the treble was beautifully illuminated without stridency. The bigger (and newer) ones than the one I heard are also probably quite refined and powerful across the full spectrum. Out of curiosity, which Gryphons have you heard? I agree that Antileon is dark, and that, compared to some amps, Colosseums treble is rich and clear though perhaps not as fully lit as others...that said, i really felt it was a far far improvement over the Antileon. I have not [yet] heard the Mephisto.

Alexis

Mar 3, 2013
I often heard G amps in other systems, not with Tads.
I am of the opinion G (all models) have a tubish-like, little mellow coloration, I am not sure if this is ok associated with the absolute tranparency of the Tad's.
If we speak of SS, I prefere the combination with Boulder Amps, excellent match with Tad, imho

In the next days I'll report about R1 + big Vivas Aurora directly at my home, in a middle sized room.. Let's see..:)

Alexis

Mar 3, 2013
After 3 days of music in my not so big 35 m2 room, I can only confirm what I wrote above.
1) this is by far the best speaker I heard, incredible fast, involving and delicate.
Resolution is definitively better then various electrostat's I had, this speaker is terrific!
And I have to add this: alltought the cr1 is one of the best speaker, the r1 is...
a further step above, the soudstage bigger and more detailed, a more life size imagine, more "air" in the room..
The set up was very easy and fast, no boom or strange room interactions..
And the R1 has obviousely a light load for amps, and quite efficient.
2) as i reported, the combination with viva audio pre and viva audio aurora 845 is... incredible.
Seemless, delicate and thounderous, with holographic portrayal. Perfect for highres files of ecm,
Reference recording etc, but also for j. cash, lou reed, radiohead, glenn gould, keith jarret...
In one word: breathtaking.. Only the magico q7 impressed me equaly.
In my opinion way more involving than big tad amps, big soulutions ecc.
Cabling is mit ma-x for signal and (biwiring) kondo spz for the speakers.
I am incredible exited and happy with this combo!!!!
Best wishes to all Tad - lovers!

Reactions: Stef

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing