Amplification options with TAD speakers

PGA

Dec 29, 2013
I swapped Constellation Centaur mono for AHB2s in mono. Never looked back. More detail, less grain, same dynamic, 1/10th the cost

Reactions: shawnf and ozy

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
In my idea The Best/match Amplifier for TAD Loudspeakers is TAD M700 monoblock amplifier.
TAD M700 is great , minimal simple design low current feedback , over 5500VA PSU and ...

Without listening Going for other amplifiers is so risky

Stef

Jan 10, 2021
Paris / France
TAD Speakers and Power Amps are natural partners. I would push using TAD Preamp too in order to allow more flexibility playing with different sources and cables to fine-tune / achieve the sonic characters you are enjoying the most. This would also reduce the potential mismatches between too many different components within the chain.
Having said that TAD speakers are so "neutral" that any good system would be magnified, revealing all the strengths and weaknesses. I guess that if all the basics of a system are correct, this is just a matter of choice and preference at the end.

Reactions: Pokey77 and Amir

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
I am interested in purchasing the TAD ME1 to replace Avalon Idea and wondering if my Vitus RI-101 mkII would be a good match. The Vitus is an integrated and I am considering to add the CAT SL1 ultimate mkII as a preamp.

Any experience with this pairing?

Last edited:
Reactions: Stef

Stef

Jan 10, 2021
Paris / France
I am interested in purchasing the TAD ME1 to replace Avalon Idea and wondering if my Vitus RI-101 mkII would be a good match. The Vitus is an integrated and I am considering to add the CAT SL1 ultimate mkII as a preamp.

Any experience with this pairing?
I would say congrats if you purchase the TAD ME1 and try with your Vitus RI-101 mkII first, After few long weeks of pleasure have your audio dealer come to your home with some options (CAT SL1 / TAD M1000 or 2500 / ....) and then decide. Your ears, your money, your choice

Reactions: Ricco275

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
I would say congrats if you purchase the TAD ME1 and try with your Vitus RI-101 mkII first, After few long weeks of pleasure have your audio dealer come to your home with some options (CAT SL1 / TAD M1000 or 2500 / ....) and then decide. Your ears, your money, your choice
I have purchased the TAD ME1 a few days ago and the combination with the Vitus is just stellar.

I wonder if I need a preamp at all. The only partial room of improvement is how to listen at low volume (60 / 70db) and enjoying the same dynamics and micro details I here at 90db.

I have replaced the holo spring dac with a MSB Discrete and I couldn’t be happier.

Stef

Jan 10, 2021
Paris / France
I have purchased the TAD ME1 a few days ago and the combination with the Vitus is just stellar.

I wonder if I need a preamp at all. The only partial room of improvement is how to listen at low volume (60 / 70db) and enjoying the same dynamics and micro details I here at 90db.

I have replaced the holo spring dac with a MSB Discrete and I couldn’t be happier.
Congrats for your new purchase Ricco. You must be delighted with all your new top notch hifi components.
IMHO a dedicated preamp is a must, it acts as the "brain" of your system. Try the Vitus RL-102 preamp to match your stereo power amp... I'm sure you will quickly realise how important it is

Reactions: Ricco275

Olivier59

Feb 22, 2023
Hello I used like you can see a Pilium Iasonas with 500W in 4 ohms. My speakers are the CR1 TX and my speakers cables are Tiglon 2000 who are exactly the same than TAD one but at half the price. I used two per speakers and I am really happy of the result

Stef

Jan 10, 2021
Paris / France
Hello I used like you can see a Pilium Iasonas with 500W in 4 ohms. My speakers are the CR1 TX and my speakers cables are Tiglon 2000 who are exactly the same than TAD one but at half the price. I used two per speakers and I am really happy of the result
Pilium gears are indeed amazing ! Known to be powerful, detailed, liquid sounding, musical,... certainly a fantastic way to drive the CR1tx

Stef

Jan 10, 2021
Paris / France
Just tried at home the THRAX Mono Amps HEROS MK2 100W Class A to drive my CR1-tx. The THRAX were on loan for few days so I can share my experience.

Firstly connected between the TAD C600 and the CR1-tx, the THRAX couldn’t drive the speakers. The bass were rounded and the overall presentation was foggy. I was really disappointed and surprised that the THRAX Heros MK2 with 100W in class A couldn’t deliver a better presentation.

Having the feeling that something was going wrong in the chain I switched preamp and tried the Aries Cerat Incito-S. Suddenly the magic happened and it sounded perfectly fine! The Heros MK2 were delivering a clear and powerful soundstage through the CR1-tx. The bass were tight with a very dense midrange and delicate highs. Deep silence and wonderful density yet highly transparent with a lot of inner details. Beautiful 3D and a large / deep soundstage. They created a real sense of life and a natural flow for pure musical involvement.

THRAX has been a very nice discovery during those few days and also provided a good learning for me. I must have met Gain and Impedance issues between the C600 and the Heros MK2. With Aries Cerat the technical issues were gone and the mariage was perfect. Maybe they share the same philosophy with High Gain from the source / preamp and Lower Gain from the Amp? TAD has a quite high gain for their power amps at 29db while the Heros are at 18db so they may need a higher gain preamp (Incito has a fixed gain of 8db) to be able to drive the CR1-tx? Mystery of matching between components.

I think that the THRAX Heros MK2 with the right preamp can be an interesting alternative to drive the TAD speakers but they are class A and run very very hot….

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    752.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    913.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    400.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    520.8 KB · Views: 23

Olivier59

Feb 22, 2023
I just bought Kondo G700i with Kondo Melius and it's a wonderfull Combo with my CR1 TX. No lack of power at hall, plenty of musicality for only 32 real W.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Just tried at home the THRAX Mono Amps HEROS MK2 100W Class A to drive my CR1-tx. The THRAX were on loan for few days so I can share my experience.

Firstly connected between the TAD C600 and the CR1-tx, the THRAX couldn’t drive the speakers. The bass were rounded and the overall presentation was foggy. I was really disappointed and surprised that the THRAX Heros MK2 with 100W in class A couldn’t deliver a better presentation.

Having the feeling that something was going wrong in the chain I switched preamp and tried the Aries Cerat Incito-S. Suddenly the magic happened and it sounded perfectly fine! The Heros MK2 were delivering a clear and powerful soundstage through the CR1-tx. The bass were tight with a very dense midrange and delicate highs. Deep silence and wonderful density yet highly transparent with a lot of inner details. Beautiful 3D and a large / deep soundstage. They created a real sense of life and a natural flow for pure musical involvement.

THRAX has been a very nice discovery during those few days and also provided a good learning for me. I must have met Gain and Impedance issues between the C600 and the Heros MK2. With Aries Cerat the technical issues were gone and the mariage was perfect. Maybe they share the same philosophy with High Gain from the source / preamp and Lower Gain from the Amp? TAD has a quite high gain for their power amps at 29db while the Heros are at 18db so they may need a higher gain preamp (Incito has a fixed gain of 8db) to be able to drive the CR1-tx? Mystery of matching between components.

I think that the THRAX Heros MK2 with the right preamp can be an interesting alternative to drive the TAD speakers but they are class A and run very very hot….
First: Like all other TAD equipments the TAD C600 is double isolated class II electronic products so it means C600 does not connect to earth wire (via AC cable). Most audio equipments like Thrax are class I equipments and they connect to the earth for safety so You should not connect class I to Class II products.
My role is all audio equioments should be class I or all audio equipments should be class II so mixing class I with class II will degrade the sound by wide margin.

second: C600 output stage has a rising impedance around 3k so the input impedance of power amplifier should be over 100k ohm.

third: tubes/chokes have different THD pattern in comparison by solidstates and also the bass (I mean bass not midbass) is different so I do not recommend mixing tubes by solidstates.

forth: most pre and power amplifiers (specially tubes) are not fully balanced , I think it is better to not mix balanced and un-balanced equipments

olivier

VIP/Donor
Nov 27, 2016
Munich
First: Like all other TAD equipments the TAD C600 is double isolated class II electronic products so it means C600 does not connect to earth wire (via AC cable). Most audio equipments like Thrax are class I equipments and they connect to the earth for safety so You should not connect class I to Class II products.
My role is all audio equioments should be class I or all audio equipments should be class II so mixing class I with class II will degrade the sound by wide margin.

second: C600 output stage has a rising impedance around 3k so the input impedance of power amplifier should be over 100k ohm.

third: tubes/chokes have different THD pattern in comparison by solidstates and also the bass (I mean bass not midbass) is different so I do not recommend mixing tubes by solidstates.

forth: most pre and power amplifiers (specially tubes) are not fully balanced , I think it is better to not mix balanced and un-balanced equipments
I never had problems using my TAD 2500 II with Class I preamps. Real balanced sounds best but you can go unbalanced by switch...

Stef

Jan 10, 2021
Paris / France

Thanks Amir. I can relate to that - experiences are necessary to understand all those points. I have now sold my tubes preamp & power amps to stick to my original TAD pre / power combo. I just kept a tube DAC besides my TAD CD/DAC. While I'm usually using XLR connections for all my gears, for my tube DAC to my preamp I'm using RCA just because it sounds better to my ears...

Reactions: Amir

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing