The Miracle of Analog Sound

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
mep

Let's get this. If something is stated as an opinion there is no need for a proof when it is stated as a fact thee is a need for proofs to back-up the assertion.

My smiley is indeed that I find funny how the poster opinion of digital is what people would have said about LP 40 years ago... When the TT,arms and Cartridges of the day could not keep up with what was on the LP ...

If the forun is about people posting only opinions then we will not go anywhere and learn even less... Let'be happy that the exchanges are polite and let's continue to keep them that way but please let us not become a version of everything goes and all systems are great. If "everything is great" then great because a meaningless term .. Let's not debase our forum to that extent. Someone tells me a lathe has unlimited dynamics .. Prove it cause I can't see how.. Educate me on the mechanics of a lathe that would have allowed such to be true so far, I am reasonably certain that lathe dynamic range is not 120 dB not even 90 dB ...

I also understand the hyperbole about objectivists but it is that, an hyperbole. Most objectivists hold subjective views too: There are things they (we) like yet, they (we) can't explain why. I don't see for example anything special in Burmester measurements to explain why I find them sounding so good or so silent (aside from the superlative damping factor) ... even less the Magnepan and their very weird Frequency response. I llike them nonetheless ...etc... I do find myself liking a ot of Speakers with good FR: The Revel Salon for exemple but also the Magicos and the Rockports ... so ...

Frantz-I think that you and I are more in agreement than disagreement. I for one don’t think that everything sounds great-quite the contrary. As for cutting lathes, I have no idea what their true maximum dynamic range is capable of. I wish someone like Doug Sax was on this forum and could enlighten us. I won’t pretend that I’m smart enough to understand how the geometry relates to the dynamic range in terms of dBs.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Why not try to reach out to him? Sometimes, folks are more than willing to contribute to a forum like this as long as it doesn't get ugly. I think you'd have to put the question to him cogently, and invite him to look at the thread before responding, and of course, he may not, but if the question is earnest and you are asking for information based on his experience, he may be willing to post a response.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Frantz,

I have only one of the old Mercury LPs and I did not find it an exceptional recording - many of my classical LPs show, in my humble opinion and system, better sound. I also have more recent CDs of classical music that I consider better recorded.

But I will be very happy if you could suggest any CD of a big band recording easily available that has better quality that my The King James Version Sheffield Lab Direct Disc LP recording. I posted this challenge long ago and never got a suggestion.
Micro- I bought alot of the original Mercury's back in the 80's and early 90's and at that time, on the system i had, I found them too bright. After what is probably a 20 year hiatus, i pulled a couple of them out, and on my current system, they sounded absolutely spectacular. The Vienna recording in particular, although I'm not a big fan of atonal music.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I do agree that there is something magical about analog but I have come to think that it comes mostly from the care and knowledge of the Mastering and recording engineers of the old days. Those who took their craft seriously and respected the notion of Hi-Fi. Nowadays music recording is more about creating some kind of sonic landscape that often has no equivalent in real, live music (Please, note I said "often", not "never"). I have all the Mercury CDs and frankly between these and the LPs it is truly a toss-up. Preferences would have people sway one way or the other but there is no way if one want to remain objective not to take these CDs for what they are .. Sublime and a different version of the LPs .. Different not superior , not inerior. Both LPs and CDs were under the supervision of the late great Lady of recording: Wilma Cozart Fine.

Not in my system.

And I'll give you a major reason why the tapes can't sound the same. Not even better or worse. But not the same and that's because of effects of aging. You can really hear it in the upper octaves and loss of spaciality. So how can the CDs sound the same as the LPs that were cut within what a week of the recording. People like KOJ say the tapes change in a month.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Not in my system.

And I'll give you a major reason why the tapes can't sound the same. Not even better or worse. But not the same and that's because of effects of aging. You can really hear it in the upper octaves and loss of spaciality. So how can the CDs sound the same as the LPs that were cut within what a week of the recording. People like KOJ say the tapes change in a month.
Myles: would the 35mm film aspect have any different result in degradation?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Micro- I bought alot of the original Mercury's back in the 80's and early 90's and at that time, on the system i had, I found them too bright. After what is probably a 20 year hiatus, i pulled a couple of them out, and on my current system, they sounded absolutely spectacular. The Vienna recording in particular, although I'm not a big fan of atonal music.

The strings are still edgy on many Mercury recordings :( A function of the mikes they used. OTOH, they have great dynamics (George Piros was a magician with the lathe and as Tom Fine added, highly sought after by all the labels), sense of space and low end. Mercuries give a more up front, front row perspective than say the RCA Living Stereos of the day. Some of my favorite Mercuries include Dorati's Firebird, Resphigi's Ancient Airs and Dances, Hovhaness's Symphony #4, Gould's Fall River Legends, Piston's Incredible Flutist, Music of the Civil War, etc. In addition, the Dupre organ recordings are also exceptional. Of course, much of the magic lies in finding the earliest pressing. Forget the Phillips remastered Golden Imports. They are as HP termed the RCA 0.5 series, 1/2 the music.

Musically, who else championed American composers?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles: would the 35mm film aspect have any different result in degradation?

While I don't know definitively, I don't see why not. It's a function of the magnetic particles becoming demagnetized.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Record companies have limited the LP since Day 1. Just like digital recordings were mastered for boom boxes, LPs were mastered for the worst turntable. Of course everyone knows how RCA yanked Reiner's Pines of Rome off the shelves because the tables of the day couldn't handle it (that's why a 1S is the most desirable and rarest--and can play on today's tables!).

And those 20+ mins sides classical albums are pretty much always compressed sounding. In some cases, they were meant for two LPs; or in some remasterings, the LPs are now spread out over four sides :(

Yes indeed. Now if only he Classic single sided 45 series had a lower noise floor .....:(

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Just want to throw something into the discussion here. We see a lot of talk about Digital's higher dynamic range because the numbers seem to be oh so impressive over analog. There is a difference however between theoretical DR over usable DR, being the noise floor on one end and its nature and system capability to exploit the upper limits in the other. Taking this and human hearing sensitivity where the midrange comprises the biggest bulk of what's "important" since it carries the bulk of information, we will find that the difference is NOT actually all that great.

Now before you ask me for proof, I've got to go to Church so will be logging off. For those in search of truth on the form of proof, please let your fingers do the walking. Google, Yahoo and Bing are your friends. ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing