'Malletoba Spank'--reference cut

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Thanks, Mark. At least you can sell it back on eBay for more than you paid for it :) The prices on this title have been going up since MikeL put this thread on! When I saw his post, I bought off eBay 3 copies of the 6-eye, the 180gm, the Phillips pressing, the Canadian pressing, the Columbia re-issue, and the Columbia Special Products re-issue.

I was holding off on the 45rpm because it was too expensive.

Gary, the only 6 eye copies i saw on e-bay were graded VG+, i think. did you find ones there in better graded condition?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
You can add MO's Tubular Bells to that list.

Even the original, at least mine, is messed up and there's definite groove distortion going on. :(

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Mark, did you wash/clean the lp's (45's) ?

rockit- if it is the same problem i've experienced with other of their 200 g 45's, it won't wash out- it is a defect in how the records were pressed, and creates that mistracking (or what i referred to as a 'stitching') noise earlier in this thread.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Even the original, at least mine, is messed up and there's definite groove distortion going on. :(

I have a half speed masterr copy, it may be a CBS? and i listened to it a couple weeks ago, i don't remember groove distortion, but parts of it were really bright sounding and nasty.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Mark, did you wash/clean the lp's (45's) ?

Christian-Yes, I cleaned the LPs before I played them. I clean every LP every time before I play it. It's just a habit I formed. And. I agree with Whart, I think it's pressed in and it isn't coming out.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Interesting Whart. My copy does not exhibit these issues. I love the sound of Classic Records in general. Too bad there were definite QC problem from time to time...pressed out of center, occassional loud pops, ect. I also find the dead space in between tracks to be quite noisy at times, but that issue really doesn't bother me that much as it is gone once the music starts.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Interesting Whart. My copy does not exhibit these issues. I love the sound of Classic Records in general. Too bad there were definite QC problem from time to time...pressed out of center, occassional loud pops, ect. I also find the dead space in between tracks to be quite noisy at times, but that issue really doesn't bother me that much as it is gone once the music starts.

Just to clarify....it's only the 200g reissues that seem to have problems. CR's 180-gram discs exhibit none of these. At least not the ones I own.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
After reading ML's original post, I went to Amazon to see what was available both on vinyl and cd. Very high prices so I thought so much for that. Went to my cd collection under "Ellngton" and low and behold, there it was. The first cut is pretty cool and actually quite well recorded. The cd sounds very good.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary, the only 6 eye copies i saw on e-bay were graded VG+, i think. did you find ones there in better graded condition?

There was one NM on eBay.co.uk (I have a Singapore credit card, so I also buy from other eBay sites) that I got, and I also got a NM from the US site.

However, the way I think is that since I get so many of my LPs from the Goodwill store, I regard it as my monthly charity donation. I buy $20 - $50 from the local Goodwill, and the ones that I don't like plus the bad ones I get from eBay, I donate it back to them. It fuels my hobby, and a good cause as well. I don't have space to keep thousands of LPs that I'll never play. My wife shops at a Chinese supermarket next door to a Goodwill store in Bellevue.... so, you'll see me browsing the racks on the weekends.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
There was one NM on eBay.co.uk (I have a Singapore credit card, so I also buy from other eBay sites) that I got, and I also got a NM from the US site.

However, the way I think is that since I get so many of my LPs from the Goodwill store, I regard it as my monthly charity donation. I buy $20 - $50 from the local Goodwill, and the ones that I don't like plus the bad ones I get from eBay, I donate it back to them. It fuels my hobby, and a good cause as well. I don't have space to keep thousands of LPs that I'll never play. My wife shops at a Chinese supermarket next door to a Goodwill store in Bellevue.... so, you'll see me browsing the racks on the weekends.
Nice gesture. There is a very old black church down the road from me- I make it a point to go everytime they have BBQ dinners as a fundraiser. Food is home cooked by the brothers and is killer. One time, the local paper was there- I was the only white dude in the place (other than the reporter who was a sorta clueless woman)- and after asking me if I was a member of the congregation, she asked why I came. I told her that the food brought me closer to God. She quoted me in her article. I'm not really a religious type, but if I were ever gonna join an organized religious place (and I was raised a Jew) it would be that AME Church in Sparkill, NY. :)

Last edited:

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I bought a used M- 180 gram Classic Records pressing yesterday from Acoustic Sounds because of this thread. I'm sure the 45rpm is better but did not want to spend that much.

Sean

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I bought a used M- 180 gram Classic Records pressing yesterday from Acoustic Sounds because of this thread. I'm sure the 45rpm is better but did not want to spend that much.

Sean

Theoretically maybe, but I wouldn't put a wager on it. I bought the 1975 re-issued Fleetwood Mac (self-titled) 45RPM and it didn't have me shouting from the rooftops!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Theoretically maybe, but I wouldn't put a wager on it. I bought the 1975 re-issued Fleetwood Mac (self-titled) 45RPM and it didn't have me shouting from the rooftops!

i have the Classic 33rpm pressing of this recording but have not compared it to the 45 (they are both part of the same set). however; i have played a number of Classic 33's and compared them to the 45's. the Classic 33's are all quite good, but you get your money's worth with the 45's.....although when you factor in scarcity and demand it's hard to put a number on whether the benefit is still worth the difference.:)

i think Sean will be able to enjoy this cut completely on the 33. he is welcome to come over to compare if he wants (that is when i get some speakers, and a preamp, back).

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area

True. If you're comparing a reissue to an original. If you compare a reissue done by the same company between 33 and 45 the 45 should win as long as the pressing quality is the same.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
i have the Classic 33rpm pressing of this recording but have not compared it to the 45 (they are both part of the same set). however; i have played a number of Classic 33's and compared them to the 45's. the Classic 33's are all quite good, but you get your money's worth with the 45's.....although when you factor in scarcity and demand it's hard to put a number on whether the benefit is still worth the difference.:)

i think Sean will be able to enjoy this cut completely on the 33. he is welcome to come over to compare if he wants (that is when i get some speakers, and a preamp, back).

Hi Mike,

I would love to make the comparison when you are ready.

What happened to your pre? Are you getting an upgrade?:)

Sean

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
True. If you're comparing a reissue to an original. If you compare a reissue done by the same company between 33 and 45 the 45 should win as long as the pressing quality is the same.

I would agree with that. Unfortunately I am not in a postion to buy both and make a comparison, so I took a chance on the 45RPM. I'm in no way dissing this 45RPM pressing, and it could very well be better than the 33.3RPM version, I just wasn't "wowed" by it.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

there are many threads accross multiple forums about the 'Rumors' 45rpm reissue....which was nowhere close to my original pressing.

i did buy this 'Self Titled' 45 too, but have not yet listened. i won't be surprised if it too is marginal. i just 'have-to' own all the 45's.

it is unusual for the 45 to not be 'great'; but sometimes that does happen. in the case of Rumors, the OP was simply magnificent, although i did need to go thru 15+ pressings to find the right one.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike,

I would love to make the comparison when you are ready.

What happened to your pre? Are you getting an upgrade?:)

Sean

i crated my MM3's last week and they were picked up yesterday and are on the way to a new home in Georgia.

yes; my batteries (after 6 years) are beyond dead, so the dart pre is winging it's way to Switzerland as we speak for a complete inspection, new batteries, and an upgrade to the charging system. since i'm between speaker systems i figured i should do it now. i'll have it back in a few weeks. so no Lp listening until then unless i move my King Cello over and use that into a headphone amp. which i may try as the new Lps are stacking up.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
there are many threads accross multiple forums about the 'Rumors' 45rpm reissue....which was nowhere close to my original pressing.

i did buy this 'Self Titled' 45 too, but have not yet listened. i won't be surprised if it too is marginal. i just 'have-to' own all the 45's.

It would be nice if I could own them all, because I love comparing different pressings. I skipped on the 45 Rumours because my orginal copy is in fine, fine condition.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing