'Malletoba Spank'--reference cut

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Is anyone interested in starting a "Reference Cut/LP" thread. Folks could explain why they use the particular piece of software. Could lead to a reference library that would make equipment comparisons more easily understood by the WBF community...

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think i am going Long malletoba spank, i ll call my broker :D

more serious, if i see a copy i ll buy it also
Comparatively speaking, you got a bargain Christian. I'm sure this time next year it will be selling for $200 or more.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
While everyone's bemoaning the cost of the OOP 45 rpm, I seem to remember them going for $75-100 when new and IP. Only sorry I didn't pick more of them up when released :(

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Is anyone interested in starting a "Reference Cut/LP" thread. Folks could explain why they use the particular piece of software. Could lead to a reference library that would make equipment comparisons more easily understood by the WBF community...
I think this is an excellent idea
Speaking of which, I think it was you, doc, who had posted about a phenomenonal sounding percussion record and I remember seeing a response from Myles that said good copies were scarce at $300 today.
Do either of you remember this record, or is my Nam era stuff kicking in again?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
While everyone's bemoaning the cost of the OOP 45 rpm, I seem to remember them going for $75-100 when new and IP. Only sorry I didn't pick more of them up when released :(
I had consistent quality problems with Classic 200 g records. I quit buying them for that reason - a sort of "stitching" noise that sounded like mistracking - probably something to do with how it was pressed and cleaning it made zero difference. I think several Diana Krall records fell into this category.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Was it Joe Cain "Latin Explosion"?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Can 't remember- if I am right and you posted about how good the recording was Myles then said that clean copies were now around 300 bucks. And I may be mistaken about the Diana Krall records I had problems with I think those were on ORG but it was the same kind of stitching noise.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I had consistent quality problems with Classic 200 g records. I quit buying them for that reason - a sort of "stitching" noise that sounded like mistracking - probably something to do with how it was pressed and cleaning it made zero difference. I think several Diana Krall records fell into this category.

That among many things :( 200 gm LPs were esp. problematic because it's said they never got the handle on pressing these LPs. I one remember placing and order and having 7/10 LPs arrive with an assortment of issues (and just to clear the air, I'm far from the type who will return a record if it has one or two pops :) ). Warps, being cut terribly off center, records not being 12 inches so the rim clamps just slipped totally down (out of my whole collection, there are a handful of LPs that won't clamp and almost all of them are CR), etc. So CR came up with the idea of making more money by charging you for their "select" service.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Can 't remember- if I am right and you posted about how good the recording was Myles then said that clean copies were now around 300 bucks. And I may be mistaken about the Diana Krall records I had problems with I think those were on ORG but it was the same kind of stitching noise.

Yup, Natalie Cole too. Stitching noise....great descriptor. I didn't know what to call it until now.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
That among many things :( 200 gm LPs were esp. problematic because it's said they never got the handle on pressing these LPs. I one remember placing and order and having 7/10 LPs arrive with an assortment of issues (and just to clear the air, I'm far from the type who will return a record if it has one or two pops :) ). Warps, being cut terribly off center, records not being 12 inches so the rim clamps just slipped totally down (out of my whole collection, there are a handful of LPs that won't clamp and almost all of them are CR), etc. So CR came up with the idea of making more money by charging you for their "select" service.

"Oh, sorry, we don't offer that service in first class, you have to pay for the VIP level of service." It isn't even the money, although that's certainly a factor- it's also the delta between the hype and the reality. Somebody wrote a book about that 15 or 20 years ago.
I bought the Shellby Lynne 'Just a Little Lovin' Lost Highway pressing after reading that they had fixed their problems, it was entirely unlistenable- not just noise, i mean listening to your stylus scraping, music sorta in the background. Another thing I learned, because as Chad has gotten big, his service seems to be worse (although kudos to him for all that he has done for a long time in the reissue business and now, i gather, record manufacture)-- I buy the stuff through Amazon. Never an issue. I call them- actually the help thing is set-up so you type your number in, and they call you in two nanoseconds and you are never put on hold or forced through voice gates, and they immediately refund your money. If Amazon has inventoried the record, sometimes they don't even make me ship it back. And when it is a third party vendor, and they do want the defective one returned, they prepay the shipping. They may not know much about high end audio, but they know more than just about any company on the planet about customer service.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Yup, Natalie Cole too. Stitching noise....great descriptor. I didn't know what to call it until now.

I've heard of the term 'no fill' which i gather means that the vinyl doesn't make it out to the edges evenly and the pressing is grotty- but that problem is supposedly limited to the beginning of the record. I think it may be the same noise, though. Dunno.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My 45 RPM five record version of Ellington just showed up at my door.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Wish I could tell you how great it is and it was worth every penny over the $60 version you can buy from Chad, but mine is not. The Spank my Monkey cut is fine on the 45 RPM version, after that, the vinyl gets very noisy in spots and it’s the kind of noise that sends some people running for the digital hills. My $60 version has no noise on either side. And, I don’t think the noise I’m hearing is going to be eliminated with further cleanings, even if you had the RCM that likes to froth at the mouth like a mad dog. I was all smiles on the first cut and thought it was more involving and more relaxing at the same time than the standard $60 version, but it went downhill after that.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

You can add MO's Tubular Bells to that list.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Wish I could tell you how great it is and it was worth every penny over the $60 version you can buy from Chad, but mine is not. The Spank my Monkey cut is fine on the 45 RPM version, after that, the vinyl gets very noisy in spots and it’s the kind of noise that sends some people running for the digital hills. My $60 version has no noise on either side. And, I don’t think the noise I’m hearing is going to be eliminated with further cleanings, even if you had the RCM that likes to froth at the mouth like a mad dog. I was all smiles on the first cut and thought it was more involving and more relaxing at the same time than the standard $60 version, but it went downhill after that.
Well, that sorta sucks. As i posted earlier, i had that problem with Classic 200 g releases and just quit buying their stuff (although i did order the 33.3 version which is 200 grams, hopefully it will be quiet like the first one you bought). Since it was sealed, do you have recourse? Otherwise, just rationalize it- it's less than a bad dinner for two in a mediocre restaurant- and you don't even get to keep a memento. I have an unplayable copy of Hoodoo Man Blues that I bought- not the 45 rpm reissue- but a standard reissue, and it is now art in my office. The 45 rpm version, particularly the cut 'wee wee hours' is killer.

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Although we have Gary's "Hot Pressings" thread, I think this would make for a nice compliment to it.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

Thanks, Mark. At least you can sell it back on eBay for more than you paid for it :) The prices on this title have been going up since MikeL put this thread on! When I saw his post, I bought off eBay 3 copies of the 6-eye, the 180gm, the Phillips pressing, the Canadian pressing, the Columbia re-issue, and the Columbia Special Products re-issue.

I was holding off on the 45rpm because it was too expensive.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing