'Malletoba Spank'--reference cut

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
the mono kicks azz.Maybe the bass is better on the 45 reissue. The real deal 1st issue mono, the midrange reigns supreme. I cannot believe the EX visual rating plays NM for my copy. Mono carts are a must for mono records. They sound weak with even the very best stereo carts.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Funny you mention the mono- skateboarding home from a kale food festival last night (actually we walked and had lamburgers with arugula at the hipster diner next to Waterloo Records), I stopped into the record store and found a mono 6 eye that looked very clean.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
the mono kicks azz.Maybe the bass is better on the 45 reissue. The real deal 1st issue mono, the midrange reigns supreme. I cannot believe the EX visual rating plays NM for my copy. Mono carts are a must for mono records. They sound weak with even the very best stereo carts.

Christian, glad you think that the 1st issue mono kicks! Bruce got a v. clean copy of the Phillips mono that I thought was better than the Columbia 6-eye mono. May be I shouldn't have given it up. Now, I need to get a mono cart.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
where is Tom port on the reissue subject.

As long as there are re-issues and there are people who prefer the re-issues, I'm happy because then the prices on the original pressings go down to something reasonable!!!

stargate

Apr 27, 2011
yardley, pa.
As long as there are re-issues and there are people who prefer the re-issues, I'm happy because then the prices on the original pressings go down to something reasonable!!!

I'm all for re-issues- but I do find that the originals sound better-well in most cases-and in most cases you can't find the original so as a vinyl lover, I too am happy.I have some of the new ORG recording and I have to say they do compare.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
interesting.

as i recall (and Jazdoc can correct me if my memory is wrong); a few months back Jazdoc brought over a very nice OP 6-eye mono of Jazz Party in Stereo and we compared 'Malitoba Spank' to the 45rpm Classic reissue and we both preferred the 45 reissue pretty much top to bottom. the mono was very very good, just that the 45 was better.

this was with the Talea 2/Miyajima Premium Be Mono for the mono, and the Telos/Ortofon Anna for stereo both played thru the darTZeel preamp internal phono stages.

in a few weeks i'll have a second Telos for the mono (and maybe the Miyajima Zero mono) and i guess we could try it again. i would not anticipate the arm making enough difference to close the gap.

added note; as i sit here thinking about it; it's possible that the OP was a stereo pressing, and not the mono. now i'm confused.:confused:

Jazdoc??? what did we do?:eek:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Christian, glad you think that the 1st issue mono kicks! Bruce got a v. clean copy of the Phillips mono that I thought was better than the Columbia 6-eye mono. May be I shouldn't have given it up. Now, I need to get a mono cart.

:p

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
interesting.

as i recall (and Jazdoc can correct me if my memory is wrong); a few months back Jazdoc brought over a very nice OP 6-eye mono of Jazz Party in Stereo and we compared 'Malitoba Spank' to the 45rpm Classic reissue and we both preferred the 45 reissue pretty much top to bottom. the mono was very very good, just that the 45 was better.

I can bring over my copy and have a real "Jazz Party"!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
interesting.

this was with the Talea 2/Miyajima Premium Be Mono for the mono, and the Telos/Ortofon Anna for stereo both played thru the darTZeel preamp internal phono stages.

in a few weeks i'll have a second Telos for the mono (and maybe the Miyajima Zero mono) and i guess we could try it again. i would not anticipate the arm making enough difference to close the gap.

added note; as i sit here thinking about it; it's possible that the OP was a stereo pressing, and not the mono. now i'm confused.:confused:

Jazdoc??? what did we do?:eek:

We compared an original (promo copy) 6-eye mono, an original 6-eye stereo and your 45 rpm Classic single sided reissue...The copies are ranked from better to best sounding

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I think this thread stopped before the ORG 45 was released. Has anyone compared it to the Classic 45 version?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I was afraid you were going to say that, Christian. Congrats on the TT.

The org still sounds very good...Thanks. It's a beast and is a bit complex for a record spinner. Probably a couple weeks away till Bob Graham come out to set it up. I could do it myself, but I need to wait for the Graham tonearm to be made, hence the delay.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The org still sounds very good...Thanks. It's a beast and is a bit complex for a record spinner. Probably a couple weeks away till Bob Graham come out to set it up. I could do it myself, but I need to wait for the Graham tonearm to be made, hence the delay.

Christian-The wait for the AF1 is partially over. You now have possession of it and it's oh so close to being installed in your room. Congratulations and may it bring you many, many years of musical joy. I look forward to hearing your impressions.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Old thread but after a PM from ML reminding me of the title Malletoba Spank I located it on my server having burned it from a cd some time ago. I just ordered the 45rpm 2 LP from Elusive Disc on sale for $39.95 marked down from $54...thought someone may be interested...over and out!

Last edited:

theophile

Old thread but after a PM from ML reminding me of the title Malletoba Spunk I located it on my server having burned it from a cd some time ago. I just ordered the 45rpm 2 LP from Elusive Disc on sale for $39.95 marked down from $54...thought someone may be interested...over and out!

Thanks. I bought one at that price.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I've used this album as a reference disc ever since MikeL introduced it to me a couple of years ago. The track I like to use is Tymperturbably Blue. If you can find the Classic Records re-issue, that is almost (IMHP) as good as the first pressing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing