'Malletoba Spank'--reference cut

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
MEP asked me to explain how i use 'Malletoba Spank' from Ellington's 'Jazz Party in Stereo' as a reference cut, and what i listen for here.

current available 33rpm pressing;

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/15512/Duke_Ellington-Jazz_Party_in_Stereo-200_Gram_Vinyl_Record

coming soon the ORG 2 disc 45rpm pressing;

http://www.originalrecordingsgroup.com/htm/comingsoon.htm

what i use (since 1997), the Classic 5 disc 45rpm pressing (a 33rpm two sided pressing, and a 4 disc 45rpm single sided pressing);

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Duke-Elling...3055188?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item231ef25c54

and i suppose one could always find an original pressing too.:)

there are few points i'd like to make about references; and specifically about vinyl references. i have plenty of digital references....some really good ones. and they are what i use mostly for system checks....particularly if i'm doing alot of back and forth. in the context of system checking, such as cables, or speaker placement, or amp or preamp investigation, i use many digital references, and then confirm things with vinyl references. digital references are predictable; i know how they will sound consistently. high level digital players have a small degree of variance, and even over years the digital has not appreciably changed.

OTOH we are still discovering just how much information can be discovered in the grooves of vinyl. so it does not surprise me when i hear not subtle improvements in a vinyl reference. this has really been brought home to me in the last few years first with all my different tt's, arms, cartridges, and phono stages.....and then with the Durand Tonearm development i've watched in my room. i have spent many hours in critical listening mode at the top of the vinyl foodchain. and identified certain records that tell me things.

i have found a few records which happen to be (1) great recordings (2) great music with phenominal musicianship (3) great software with low noise, high level dynamics, and seemingly unlimited detail there to be uncovered, and (4) the type of music which highlights precision and ultra detail. i might call these 'test pattern' cuts. it's like looking at a video test pattern. the most nuanced differences jump right out at you.

i am not a quick listener compared to some. i have a few 'golden ear'd' friends who can listen to almost any type of music and pick out things quickly. for me; it takes either much longer, or i need to have my mind quiet, and be in my seat, relaxed, and listen to my particular reference cuts. so understand that i don't claim any special skills other than i've been exposed to lots of high performance gear and taken alot of time to really listen closely. and whenever i do listen critically, i always try to step back and listen non-critically too, so the bigger picture musical message is not lost. sometimes the emotive force of music does not allow me to listen to the sound or detail as detail. fine. good. no probem. come back to the question later then.

so what do i listen for in 'Malletoba Spank'?

this is Ellington Big Band, recorded magnificently, and that ought to be enough. but on this date he also used a vibraphone, a xylophone, another vibraphone, another xylophone, a glockenspiel and a marimba.....surrounded on one side by the Ellington band and on the other side by an assortment of kettle drums, bongos, a tamborine, and a triangle.

i just listen and enjoy the degree of nuance that the vinyl playback system can deliver on the overwhelming amount of information that is on this recording. if you ever want to hear what digital cannot do; this is one of the cuts that will etch that into your skull. because all that percussion reveals what gear can make it sound real. what gear blunts the leading edge, what gear smears the decay of the xylophone, what gear can't resolve the triangle. then there is the tonal richness and vivid harmonics that come alive the more vivid and natural the presentation. i use the term 'image focus' to refer to the degree of precision that comes thru. this cut really demands excellence in precison and it is easy to hear smearing and lack of focus.

and lack of precison is distortion. there is nothing else to call it. naturalness comes from accuracy and the ability of gear to resolve nuance precisely. but precise is not edgy or rough. OTOH if the transients are blunted or lacking dynamic life that is also distortion. when this cut is done right it has all the energy and subtle detail, but remains natural.

listen once to this and you will 'get' it's value to separate different pieces of analog gear.

you think you've heard it the best it can possibly sound; and then something better reveals another level of nuance and expression. so far i've not found the limit of what is there to hear.

and make no mistake; this cut can sound perfectly precise, and natural. if it's a bit hashy and nasty, that just means your vinyl playback can get much better.....good news for you.....now go fix it!

another recording i view similarly is 'Snooky' off the Pablo 'Blues....and some others' by Count Basie. i use this cut as often as 'Mallatoba Spank' for similar reasons. i posted a description of how i used that at the Newport Beach show here if you want to read it;

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?6835-THE-Show-Report&p=114783&viewfull=1#post114783

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mike-Thanks! I appreciate you taking the time to write this up. I look forward to receiving my LP. Hopefully my system can do this LP justice. From what you have written, there is tons of stuff going on in this recording that should challenge any system.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Mike,

Which of the three pressings would you most strongly recommend? Thanks in advance.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I would get the oop Classic Records 45 rpm version on eBay....

Too late. I bought it. I will compare it to the 200G version I bought last night after they both arrive.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Suddenly, the SEC and Interpol noticed a huge spike in sales of an obscure vinyl record from the 1950's- :)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Too late. I bought it. I will compare it to the 200G version I bought last night after they both arrive.

yup, that be the one i would recommend. the ORG 2 disc 45 will likely be very good too, hard to know whether it will be as good as the Classic 45 set. generally i do prefer the Classic 'take' on these iconic Jazz titles. but we are talking degrees of very very good here so either 45 set is likely a great pressing.

the Classic 45 5-disc set includes the Classic 33 pressing; although i've never listened to it so i can't comment on how the 33 and 45 Classic pressings compare.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
My 200G copy of ‘Jazz Party in Stereo’ showed up last night via UPS. I decided to tweak and peak my system before last night’s listening session. I’m keeping a log of the bias readings on each pair of output tubes on the VS115 and it is remarkable how well matched each pair is. I recently installed another cartridge and I’m very happy with the way I have it dialed in now.

So how does this LP sound? It’s everything Mike said it is and more. This recording was originally a ‘6 eye’ Columbia recording which are legendary for being legendary. According to the liner notes, it was also a live studio recording with an audience of Duke Ellington admirers in attendance (there is applause throughout the songs). The recording is simply stunning and there is so much going on in the first cut that it is going to take many sessions to digest it all. After reading Mike’s description, I was very pleased with the way my setup sounded from top to bottom. There is a purity to the sound that brings you oh so close to the sound of tape.

I bought the sealed 5 LP version from Ebay and it should be here next week. It’s hard to imagine the 45 RPM version sounding better because what I have sounds so damn good (really quiet surfaces and just an excellent mastering job), but if it was cut right, the 45 RPM version has its advantages. It would also be interesting to hear a digital version of this to see how far or how close it comes to the analog version(s). My guess is that it won’t be that close because of all the high frequency information going on simultaneously that digital still seems to struggle with.

If you could listen to this LP on your stereo system and still feel the need to complain about 2 channel audio, you really just need to haul your system to the curb on trash day and be done with it because it’s hopeless.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Interesting MEP, thanks for your mini-review. I finally broke down and ordered the 200g version, although i had alot of bad experiences with Classic's 200g pressings. I also have a hunch that i actually have an original Columbia pressing somewhere in the stacks here, but so far, no luck in finding it (that doesn't mean i don't have one, i have this problem all the time- i look for a record and can't find it, and the next time I'm in the stacks, looking for something else, the first 'missing' record just pops into my hands). There is also apparently a japanese pressing that was done, and MFSL also issued it at one point (i think only on CD), but I've not been big on the sound of their records either.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Whart-I don’t think you will be disappointed. I don’t care for the slip cover they use for the LP because it fits too tight and ditto for the record sleeve. But man oh man, the sound quality and the musicianship on this LP is sure to bring a smile to your face.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Well, i found another copy of the 45 rpm set, sealed. But, I'm at a point in my life where paying 175 bucks for a record is crazy. (and i still think i have an original pressing somewhere in the house). So if anybody is interested, I'll be happy to send you the link. Just PM me. I have no affiliation with the seller, and I hope I'm not in violation of forum rules.
Well shortly after posting this, that one got sold too. I'm gonna buy futures on this, whaddya think? Sell short? Hedge? Hmmm...

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I paid $174.99 which is a bargain compared to $175.00! Is it worth it? I don't know how you really put a price on something if it brings a little joy in your life. Mike didn't steer me wrong on this LP being outstanding and if the limited edition version is even better than what I have, I won't regret spending the $174.99. The value on this LP will probably increase over time as well.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Mep, not arguing any of that, nor am i suggesting that the record is overpriced given what it is, i certainly spent big money on certain records back in the day, but for me, at this point in my life, and given my financial priorities, it is 'crazy' for me. I only brought it up for someone else to take advantage of the opportunity, which vanished shortly after i posted the message.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
It makes me wonder if someone on the forum bought it. Fess up if you did.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I had a feeling!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I bought my version last December. I'm sure more 45 copies will come up. The price keeps getting steeper. Here's what I paid from my ebay archive:

Audiophile Classic 45 RPM 5 LP Duke Ellington Jazz Party ...Sale date: 12/22/11
$149.99

Money well spent !

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Comparatively speaking, you got a bargain Christian. I'm sure this time next year it will be selling for $200 or more.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing