Calling Mahler or Bruckner fans

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I love playing Mahler but don't actually own many recordings... Just one, I think, probably Mahler 5. I need to pick up some of the CSO series and other greats.

There are great bargains these days on classical CD's both new and used; I usually find Amazon Marketplace items to be cheaper than Amazon, even for new items.

NMMark1962

Jun 29, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
Very hard core Mahler fan here......between SACD and redbook, I have over 100 recordings of Mahler symphonies. His 5th is my favorite (the old trumpet jock in me still gets a thrill with the opening solo) though I like #2, #3, #6, #7 and #9.....I am a veteran of the massive Telarc Mahler 8 with Robert Shaw/Atlanta (I was in one of the two choirs from Ohio State)....there were over 700 people on that stage and as such, I now despise any Mahler 8 when they use a choir with less than 200 singers....Mahler 7 is a tough one, seemingly, for people to pull off. There is an obscure RCA CD with MTT and the London SO that is superb but MTT's SFSO leaves me slightly chill. My absolute favorite Mahler 7 is actually an old RCA Red Seal with Levine and CSO (recorded in Medina Temple). That was an old Soundstream recording and I wish it could be turned into a killer high rez recording (hey, Telarc did that with some of their old Soundstream recordings)....

Symphonies #3 and #6 can be seriously affected by the conductor. The most dreadful Mahler was Sym #6 in Chicago with Gielen.....I have never heard such slow tempos.....that performance took 1hr 48 minutes....

The one killer for me in Mahler is how a conductor plays the Adagietto from the 5th Symphony. Poor Bernstein....he played it at the memorial concert for Bobby Kennedy and never was able to disassociate that.....sorry Lenny, the Adagietto was a love letter to Mahler's young wife, not a funeral dirge. ANY composer who takes the Adagietto beyond 11 minutes looses me....if Bruno Walter (Mahler's protege) kept the Adagietto under 8:30 who needs it at over 13 minutes????

Anyway, I will always keep buying Mahler symphonies.....too many interpretations, so much emotion and passion....why stop??? LOL

Cheers,

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
For complete sets, my two favorites are Solti/CSO and Sinopoli/PO. Different, but equally satisfying. (Solti is a bit more intense.)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
For me so far as a neophyte to Mahler Symphonies:

- 1: Klaus Tennstedt, Chicago Symphony Orchestra ESOTERIC SACD/CD Hybrid ESSE-90068 JAPAN
- 2: Rattle, Simon, CBSO Chorus, Janet Baker, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra
- 4: George Szell, Andrew Davis, Cleveland Orchestra, London Philharmonic Orchestra, Judith Raskin, et al.
- 5: Sir John Barbirolli, New Philharmonia Orchestra ESOTERIC SACD/CD Hybrid ESSE-90058 JAPAN
- 8: Tennstedt & London Po (24bit - Japanese Remaster)
10: Mahler, Gustav, Rattle, Simon, EMI CLASSICS

Still trying to figure out which ones to start with on 3, 6, 7, 9...

...what i can say is that the 5th, which i bought first, is stunning and i have played that one far and away more than any of the others. And a remarkable recording to boot...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This recording of Mahler 2 is great, on both 2ch and MCH, and the explosion and bass after around 3 minute mark is an awesome system breaker.

41KWxNaG5qL.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks! I went with the following new Mahler Symphony selections and should hopefully receive them shortly:

3: Rattle, City of Birmingham
6: Karajan, Berlin Philharmoniker
7: Abbado, Berlin Philharmoniker
9: Karajan, Berlin Philharmoniker

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
When Karajan's 9th on DG first came out, it was one of the few CDs that showed me that the CD format was not completely inferior! It's still not a warm, rich sound, but it sounded less "freeze-dried" than did most early CDs!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I.heard the ninth live conducted by Daniel Harding with LSO at Barbican, the fifth by Dudamel at the royal festival hall, and the second by Rattle with Berlin Philharmonic at the festival hall

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
This recording of Mahler 2 is great, on both 2ch and MCH, and the explosion and bass after around 3 minute mark is an awesome system breaker.

View attachment 20303

SPOT - ON!!! Much preferred to Rattle which was my first CD of 2nd which i just got a few weeks ago. The Fischer just arrived tonite and for some reason i am enjoying it much more than the Rattle...not sure why. Just am. Thanks!!!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
SPOT - ON!!! Much preferred to Rattle which was my first CD of 2nd which i just got a few weeks ago. The Fischer just arrived tonite and for some reason i am enjoying it much more than the Rattle...not sure why. Just am. Thanks!!!

I saw Rattle live but prefer this one. I guess with your Vel subs the explosion must be quite awesome. The start is quiet, then the violins give a nice soundstage, suddenly it starts getting loud, then the bass starts reaching into the depths of the earth, and then kaboom they hurl the room at you. That's how I visualize it in a good system. I did break a few systems at Munich.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I saw Rattle live but prefer this one. I guess with your Vel subs the explosion must be quite awesome. The start is quiet, then the violins give a nice soundstage, suddenly it starts getting loud, then the bass starts reaching into the depths of the earth, and then kaboom they hurl the room at you. That's how I visualize it in a good system. I did break a few systems at Munich.

yes! the kaboom is awesomely fun...thanks for that recommendation! I have Abbado 7th yet to play, Karajan 9th on the way as well...

...but i am still debating on Barbirolli 6th or Karajan

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
yes! the kaboom is awesomely fun...thanks for that recommendation! I have Abbado 7th yet to play, Karajan 9th on the way as well...

...but i am still debating on Barbirolli 6th or Karajan

just picked up Mahler 4th Ivan Fischer as well...i appreciated the Szell but i liked the 2nd Fischer so much and enjoyed the snips of his 4th as well...i thought i'd give it a go.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Presto shipped my SACD of Mahler 9 by Fischer/BFO; apparently it fits on one SACD so I'm curious to hear his approach. I expect the sound to be spectacular as usual.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
just picked up Mahler 4th Ivan Fischer as well...i appreciated the Szell but i liked the 2nd Fischer so much and enjoyed the snips of his 4th as well...i thought i'd give it a go.

Okay...its a personal preference, but so far, i prefer Ivan Fischer's Mahler 4th to Szell's...i will of course go back at some point to listen to Szell again. But when i listened to Szell's Mahler 4th, i originally thought "Really? I was blown away by the 5th Barbirolli, and THIS is the 4th? Maybe i dont like Mahler as much as i was hoping i would..."

...but this 4th by Fischer i really am enjoying.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Picked up Fischer's Mahler 1 (to compare with Tennstedt's recording of legend) and Fischer's Mahler 9 (to compare with Karajan). Still trying to figure out which 6th to get...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Picked up Fischer's Mahler 1 (to compare with Tennstedt's recording of legend) and Fischer's Mahler 9 (to compare with Karajan). Still trying to figure out which 6th to get...

so i figured out after listening to snips of a dozen different Mahler 6s which one i am going to get: Sanderling. And course, its out of print on CD and insanely expensive! Stay tuned while i try to find a 2nd hand set somewhere in the internet ether...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
So after a mini-exploration of listening, here is my fav list of the various Mahlers but its a superficial exploration. I own these other than 6 which i intend to order (Sanderling)

- 1: Ivan Fischer, Channel Classics (2nd: Klaus Tennstedt, Chicago Symphony Orchestra ESOTERIC SACD/CD Hybrid ESSE-90068 JAPAN)
- 2: Ivan Fischer, Channel Classics (2nd: Rattle, Simon, CBSO Chorus, Janet Baker, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra)
- 3: Barbirolli - BBC, 2nd: Rattle
- 4: Ivan Fischer, Channel Classic (2nd: George Szell, Andrew Davis, Cleveland Orchestra, London Philharmonic Orchestra, Judith Raskin, et al.)
- 5: Sir John Barbirolli, New Philharmonia Orchestra ESOTERIC SACD/CD Hybrid ESSE-90058 JAPAN
- 6: Sanderling, St Petersburg Philharmonic...exceedingly rare!!! (2nd: Barbirolli, NPO)
- 7: Abbado: Berlin Philharmoniker
- 8: Abbado (DG), 2nd: Tennstedt & London Po (24bit - Japanese Remaster)
- 9: Ivan Fischer, Channel Classics (2nd: Karajan)
10: Mahler, Gustav, Rattle, Simon, EMI CLASSICS

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
so i figured out after listening to snips of a dozen different Mahler 6s which one i am going to get: Sanderling. And course, its out of print on CD and insanely expensive! Stay tuned while i try to find a 2nd hand set somewhere in the internet ether...

Got it! phew! Still crazy expensive but not SO crazy expensive.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I will bet your list of preferred versions will continue to change over time ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing