Calling Mahler or Bruckner fans

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I've been meaning to start this thread for more than two years. I'd like to hear your favorite symphonies and recordings.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I've had a preference for this recording, probably through sentimental channels. The performance is exciting and draws me in more than some competitors. I admittedly haven't heard all the competition, owning Mehta, Zinman, and a few others. The sound is obviously not the "ultimate", but there's something about the atmosphere here.

http://www.amazon.com/Bruckner-Symp...0757649&sr=1-5&keywords=bruckner+5+horenstein

My copy is the old Musical Heritage Society issue shown.

It's also available in a BB reissue CD on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Bruckner-Symp...0757761&sr=1-1&keywords=bruckner+5+horenstein

It's possible that the remastered new edition has better sound, but it's the performance that counts here.

I'd welcome any recommendations!

Lee

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Mahler's Symphony No.5 in C-Sharp Minor is one of my favorites. I like Ashkenazy cond. the Sydney Symphony

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I am a Mahler fan and my favorite Mahler Symphony s the #2 "Resurrection"

one a little out of the beaten path :

51hntXIrJVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Conducted by Pierre Boulez .. A very different forceful reading somewhat unusual but superb nnetheless IMHO

I also like this one by stokowski. The sound is noting special and frankly the recording is unusual but Powerful , I think Mahler would haveliked it :)

51GTQ6Z362L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

More later. I am Mahler fan...

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
No photos available right now, but I too am a big Mahler fan. I'm not as familiar with Bruckner but I like his symphonies a lot as well.

I just downloaded Tilson Thomas' recordings of Sym 3, 6, 7 & 9 from HD Tracks. I'll report back after I've had a chance to listen to them.

I can't say that Bernstein is consistenly my favorite Mahler conductor, but both of his cycles are rewarding. Although it's CD only, I really like the sound of his Columbia cycle in the most recent remastering using reconditioned/updated tape decks and electronics from the '60's.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I have been collecting Mahler recordings since I was blown away by the opening movement of the 2nd in the, then, new Bernstein/NYPO/Columbia set. Since then, I have collected Bernstein, Walter, Solti, Kubelik, Inbal, Klemperer, Horenstein, Mehta, etc. on LP, added more Bernstein, Abbado, Zander, Dohnanyi, Rattle, Sinopoli, Gielen, Cortese(!), Tennstedt, etc. on CD. Now, collecting many on SACD and Bluray including more Zander, Fischer, MTT, Abbado, Janssens, Boulez, Stenz, etc. And that's off the top of my head. Many more. All the ones named and many more interest me (even Kaplan). The only one I don't get at all (although I have tried) is Ozawa whom I find simply perverse.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Kal, you're supposed to post about your favorites and why they are your favorites :D:D

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Kal, you're supposed to post about your favorites and why they are your favorites :D:D

Indeed!:p Also, what do you mean by "perverse"?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The only one I don't get at all (although I have tried) is Ozawa whom I find simply perverse.

I have to admit I have the 2nd with the BSO/Ozawa on Philips, because I couldn't resist having my favorite symphony recorded in one of the top halls in the world.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Indeed!:p Also, what do you mean by "perverse"?
He does things with pacing and dynamics that are unique, jarring and, imho, uncalled for. Note that I did not say bad but the only time I could sit through an entire performance of his was some years back. I had rented a car for a long drive from Sarasota to Miami and the only classical station I could get was playing Ozawa's M2. It was interesting, to say the least, but not a performance I want to hear when I want to hear the M2.

In the interests of full and honest disclosure, I feel the same way about most of Ozawa's recordings.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
i'm always impresed with this performance by an all-star high school orchestra

61tnwv0BV5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am not a big listener of Bruckner...but i did get the Barenboim set of Bruckner symphonies and do enjoy them. I think (as usual) i consulted Penguin Guide and got this set.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Not a revelatory recommendation, but many revelatory performances at a great price

51ywQH9cNyL._SS400_.jpg

Reactions: johndoe21ro

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
A relatively new release, very worthwhile

519i4FRDvNL._SS400_.jpg

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I am interested in this thread too. Particularly interested in older recordings of great performances on vinyl since I have tons of period EMI, Decca, London, and many boxed sets that I have not waded through.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My heart balances between the Das Lied von der Erde and the Symphony No. 2. I attach the covers of my preferred and much listened versions.

Attachments

• aa1.jpg
    aa1.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 236
  • aa2.jpg
    aa2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 239

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing