Most unusual foods

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I've tried them - didn't care for the taste.

About the most unusual thing I've ever heard of is for women who have just given birth to eat their own placenta - my wife had a group of friends who gather to cook and eat each other's placenta in the belief that it is good for the complexion. What lengths women will go to for beauty!!

actually placentas work best when emulsified and planted in rose gardens. I promise you the best roses you have ever seen

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
The best strange thing I've eaten (and would eat again) are sago worms. They are the grub of a beetle that live in the trunk of the sago tree in Malaysia. The brave ones eat them alive - bite the head off and spit it out before it can bite you. Pop the squirming body in your mouth and chew. YUMMY! Like a cross between avocado and shrimp. You can also fry them up, but then the skins get a bit tough.

http://eatingasia.typepad.com/eatingasia/2008/03/the-tree-of-l-2.html

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Natto: Breakfast of champions!

Well, if there is one unusual food I eat that I am very proud of is Natto. This is fermented soybeans eaten in Japan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nattō

Why proud? As you can tell, I have a pretty wide pallet especially when it comes to Japanese food. But natto.... For years, Japanese friends would tease me if I would eat it and I ask them how they like and many would say they don't eat it themselves! So I avoided it. I mean who wants to eat slimy, smelly beans when you can eat Sea Urchin! :D

Fast forward to about three years ago. I am in Japan with a friend at breakfast as a remote area (Hokkaido), with a set breakfast. They serve up an amazing meal and in the corner, there is natto. My Japanese friend asks me to try it. I ask how. He shows me how you mix it with rice, raw egg yoke, soy sauce, and mustard. I must say, I liked it! I can't explain why. It is not delicious. But somehow, it feels nice to eat it.

If you read the wiki, you see that it is a pretty healthy thing to eat. In US, we save leftover Japanese rice and I warm it up in the morning, add the natto, soy sauce, mustard, and broken up nori (toasted seaweed). It is warm, filling and devoid of bad fats.

So if you have the occasion to try it, go for it. Be sure to put all the condiments on it. It is necessary to make it edible.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Oh, I had not tried it with Wasabi. Will do that tomorrow!

If you cut back some on bug/warm eating bit, you and I could be friends Gary! :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I love Uni, but let's just say I have not acquired the taste for Natto yet. The grub thing is something I don't think I can handle either.

Boy Gary, you're one adventurous eater, I gotta tell ya.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing