FM Acoustics 268 preamp - the debate around its Linearizer

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Do you believe in equalization? Frankly, I do; at the speaker level, and in the bass to be precise; a la Wilson, higher-end MartinLogan, and some others; so I have built my own. So would you trust the 268's "Linearizer"? What if your phono only supports RIAA and you want to tweak the slightly different high frequency equalization of Decca's FFSS? How transparent is this... equalizer? I assume that, if you consider equalization an anathema, you are no vinyl lover :D Why would anyone risk their reputation by putting an equalizer in a high end component? Or are we missing something?

Last edited:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks, corrected. That's what happens when you post 11:30pm on a Sunday night

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Steve, I am not sure how to update the Thread title... can you please fix?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve, I am not sure how to update the Thread title... can you please fix?

It seems to me that what you said in the OP is what Wizard is also saying. What would you like it to say

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks for the corrections. With the new vBulletin version, I can change my posts' titles but not the thread's... or it's not obvious.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I have not owned the 268 with linearizer, but the RIAA adjustment on the FM Acoustics phonostages are quite essential to the vinyl lover. That's what I miss most in the Burmester Ph100 I use now. And I have a number of albums that still need the RIAA adjustment....

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
From the description of the 233 Linearizer, which is built in the 268.

The FM 233 Harmonic Linearizer allow precise correction and linearization of non-optimal recordings. They do this in an absolutely unique way.
For the first time bad resonances, colouration, noise, obnoxious sound and other limitations are improved without affecting the balance of the audio signal.
While the characteristics and transparency of the original signal is kept pristine, attenuated parts of the music spectrum can be strengthened.

The method of operation is rather intriguing as the entire audio signal takes a direct path from input to output.
The improvement is achieved by a unique additive/subtractive Linearizer bank that corrects aberrations.
Using just five controls, any frequency (or group of frequencies) in the entire audio band can be optimized without negative influence inflicted on the original audio signal.
Furthermore, the signal always remains purely in the analogue domain.

When looking at the front panel one could be reminded of an equalizer. However, the Harmonic Linearizer's mode of operation is different and avoids all limitations.
The FM 233 are not used like an equalizer as every control is dynamically interacting with the others in a unique linear multi-parameter process.
There is no ripple in the pass band and no phase shift/discontinuity, both of which are unsolved problems of equalizers.

Massive improvements in the reproduction quality of CD, DVD, Tape, LP and any other source are now reality. The improvements are described anywhere from "truly amazing" to "incredible".
While some near perfect recordings will not need much linearization, good recordings will become great, mediocre recordings will become rather nice and some downright unlistenable recordings will become listenable.
The improvements are rather intriguing and must be experienced to be fully realized.

Adjustment - 50Hz, 200Hz, 800Hz, 3,2Khz, 12,8Khz.

Wow, this is a piece of gear I bet Frank (fas42) would love to have

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Can you take close-ups, and comment on the sound?

wgerman

Jul 4, 2012
I am curious, if one does need the lineariezer (or EQ,since I read elsewhere its not meant to used casually),then what separates the 268 from the 266? Since I have on Audiogon from an owner that the 268 is much better than the 266.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I was told that the 266 is a 268 without the linearizer. But in my experience, the added creaminest and extra ordinarily engaging nature of the 268 must be from the added circuitry of the linearizer. I concur that the 268 is much better than the 266.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
A bit overpriced don't you think ? Iwould say FM is not a good hi-end value price wise, but that's a different discussion.

Are there some comparison between the FM Acoustics preamp with linearizers and other preamps? One review? A customer evaluation comared to some highly regarded preamp? lamm, Burmester, Pass, ARC Ref, Conrad Johnson? Balaboo? Soulution, etc? The thing has to be a tone control, to compensate for recordings according to listener taste, what do they do that is different from using a PEQ? How different would this "linearizer" be from the tone control of a Cello Palette (High ENd accepted Tone control)???

I hate to be harsh but the threads about FM Acoustics seem like we are avoiding all discussions about their performance thus their worth. There is an implied assumption that they are so superior that their performance, thus their worth can't be discussed or debated . We are talking after all close to $125,000 for a preamplifier for God sake!! Is it superior to all preamps out there if yes in what way? What is that "linearizer" if not a tone control? Please do tell me.. The OP invited us ,to debate all I see is close to a genuflexion to the altar of price .. I am not speaking for others but I believe a few of us need more ... The same goes for their amps, not crapping on them have only heard an ancient amp and it was good but not enough to have me forgot everything I have ever heard. To further our knowledge we, I, need more than simple marketing blurbs about how different or "unique" they are and frankly finish-wise give me Burmester, Ayre, Dar Tzeel, Goldmund, Gryphon, Balaboo, Spectral and a slew of other manufacturers, FMA products, at least on the pictures shown, don't strike me as being anything superlative in mechanical built ...

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Totally agree..it reminds me of tracking my Porsche 911 GT3 at Limerock Raceway Park. I drove my car there 2 hours, thrashed it on th track and drove it home...I see guys in nice shiny red ferrari's and at the end of the day, you see them leaving the track on flatbeds...looks pretty, goes fast, but doesn't last. Porsche, great value, fast and dependable, Ferrari...not so much. I don't buy the FM mystique...

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
That's one of the rooms I'm planning to visit (a lot) in RMAF :D

My understanding is that FMA preferes to sell 1 piece at 120k than 10 at 12k. And to lure that 1 person, they employ this "exclusivity" schtick.
This whole "by invitation", "you can't have it", it smells like BS. There's no (practical) reason for that. Apple does a lot of that, on a much larger scale of course. Planned scarcity.

I'm also a bit weary of Goldmund too, for they kind of walk the same path. High prices, nobody talks about their products, but they must be selling, otherwise they just wouldn't be around anymore... The small Goldmund amps I heard were very unimpressive, cold, clinical, and hollow, like the Halcro of old. And we all know about that Goldmund BD (or was it DVD) that was an Oppo stuck inside a fancy case...

alexandre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing