Requesting Suggestions From Members Re New Dedicated Fora

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John

how great an interest would there be to a Grant Fidelity Forum

A dedicated cable forum also gives me some pause for concern due to strong feeling on both sides of the cable camp

Not a lot, but I couldn't resist after Bob's Female members' suggestion. Sorry to derail slightly.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I know that this is the "What's Best" forum, but how about an area dedicated to best value for money? There are a number of members here who have excellent set-ups that are great value for what they have spent. With the growing membership here, we should not make it too elitist.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
I know that this is the "What's Best" forum, but how about an area dedicated to best value for money? There are a number of members here who have excellent set-ups that are great value for what they have spent. With the growing membership here, we should not make it too elitist.
Amen, Gary.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

I think it is a great idea Gary.

In fact when we opened we had 2 fora called "Entry Level Audio Systems For Under $5000" and "Entry Level Home Theater Systems For Under $5000"

Unfortunately in trying to update and streamline the forum last year for whatever reasons both those fora and all of their data was lost.

I would be pleased to reinstitute such a forum if everyone feels it to be a good idea. If so, shall it be named as I suggested or other name suggestions are welcome

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I think it is a great idea Gary.

In fact when we opened we had 2 fora called "Entry Level Audio Systems For Under $5000" and "Entry Level Home Theater Systems For Under $5000"

Unfortunately in trying to update and streamline the forum last year for whatever reasons both those fora and all of their data was lost.

I would be pleased to reinstitute such a forum if everyone feels it to be a good idea. If so, shall it be named as I suggested or other name suggestions are welcome

Of course everyone uses Bang for the Buck. Or how about Sound on a String (shoe)?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Not a lot, but I couldn't resist after Bob's Female members' suggestion. Sorry to derail slightly.

Yes John, I was simply being humoristic.

* But I am a member at Harley Davidson Forum,
and they do have a forum section reserved to female members strictly.
{Of course, they have way more female members over there than here.}

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I like this as well, but then you knew I would. Here's one suggestion: The Frugal Audiophile!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
---Regarding Budget Systems; yes that's nice, but I don't know how much interest from the member's caliber here could be induced.

For loudspeakers, monitors; much better chance. But for A/V Receivers, no chance;
as my own thread on this is totally stagnant.

BUT! If it says Budget Systems as the thread's title; then it might shake things up a little.
...And attract the right crowds. :b ...The right clientele.

Or a title like Best Value For Your Buck.

* As an example of great Value of an audio/video quality component:
... both the Oppo BDP-93 ($499), and Oppo BDP-95 ($999).
And I know so many more ...

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Let's not call it "Entry Level" - some of us may never go beyond a $5,000 system because our budgets don't allow for it. Even "Budget Systems" has the connotation that if you had more money, you would spend more. Both could be construed to sound elitist and condescending.

I like "Frugal Audiophile" because there are Billionaires who are frugal, and wouldn't spend more even if they had the money. Also, "Frugal" has the connotation of not being wasteful and being careful with spending. It also does not put a $$$ mark on the product. A $499 Oppo BDP-93 may be "frugal", but a $499 digital cable may not be "frugal" to those who don't believe in cables.

thestewman

Feb 4, 2011

+1

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
I too like this idea.

How about a new forum in the section "What's Best In Audio" called "The Frugal Audiophile". There could be different threads within this named "Complete systems under $1k', 'Complete systems under $2k', etc, also for $5k and $10k.

Members could provide perspective which components are best and even recommend complete systems in the relevant price classes.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
--- Why not; Frank has a system costing well below one grand. ...And it does the trick admirably.

...Tim, John, I, and other members here have modest systems as well (frugal).

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
shall we keep it to "under $5K?"

If possible I'd like to stay away from imposing a $ figure on this, as I'd like members to post within it on situations whereby they've imposed their own set of frugal means in acquiring a piece of gear. Maybe they picked up a $10,000 amp for $6,000/$4,000 or whatever. Just a thought.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Pass Labs heading
+1

As much as I love carts, it would be too unwieldly to cover all great Mfg. carts in individual forums. (Ala Jack's request), imho

That said...Pass is more than well deserving to have it's own forum....just my 2 cents.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Now that is smart

For me I like that one as well as The Frugal Audiophile

Any comments from people

Yes...i like both ideas a lot (Best for Less and Frugal Audiophile), and live that myself everyday. I'll defer to others on the names...but i'll definitely be there.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing