What's your Internet speed?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Here is mine. Reads faster than it feels:

Three years ago I had a friend test how fast their links were at home in Japan. He got 51 mbit/sec while accessing a local site and 43 mbit/sec when going for a *US* site! This is what you get when you have fiber to the home and much more compact cities than we have in US.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I average 25 down and 3 up.

Just for kicks I tried it with a proxy from a server in the Netherlands, and got .59 down and 1.11 up. I usually travel the Net with a proxy from some foreign server, so that probably reflects the speed I am used to having. Haiti's speed doesn't seem so bad! :D

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I average 25 down and 3 up.

Just for kicks I tried it with a proxy from a server in the Netherlands, and got .59 down and 1.11 up. I usually travel the Net with a proxy from some foreign server, so that probably reflects the speed I am used to having. Haiti's speed doesn't seem so bad! :D

:D :D Believe me at least this is better than it's been a few years ago ... I can work with the VPN to my office in Miami.

This will likely change as the country gets more and better fibers connections... I find it so interesting how 4 Meg/s is considered "bad" /// In my house in the USA regularly 12 Mb/s and 2 Mb/s on Comcast ... There seem to be some some routing problems between Comcast and some sites WBF in particular. They are not permanent, they come and go but from time to time it takes an inordinately long amount of time to open a WBF page from Comcast ... Almost same location (neighbor with DSL) and much better response to the site ...

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
AT&T U-Verse High Speed Internet Max (Download up to 12 Mbps)

2024928107.png

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
2025675766.png

I have 3G Verizon wireless here. I don't have any cable or DSL available where I live, so my three choices are wireless broadband, satellite, or dial up. Yes, there are people in my area still on dial up! My d/l speeds are typically 1-2 Mb/s depending on what time of day it is and upload is always the same. Supposedly we're going to be getting 4G by next year but I am going to keep my grandfathered unlimited 3G plan to save money.

SoundQcar

Oct 12, 2011
Half Moon Bay, Ca
I use my Razr Maxx as my modem and tether wirelessly to our PC's as the 4g is fairly quick here.

2026500250.png

Last edited:

bblue

Apr 26, 2011
San Diego, CA
2027824979.png

This is a lot higher than I see normally -- almost double. But it's a standard internet tier connection from Cox. I've always been pleased with their service, including four phone lines and HD cable. There are three dual interface computers in the house that have this connection on the second interface (prioritized for non-local traffic). All computers have a 3Mb bi-directional wireless microwave link as well which serves as the primary connection. The Cox connection is just on computers that also have higher download needs (audio, video or project files). The wireless link costs close to 10x what the cable connection does. Go figure.

--Bill

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Using Fios and paying for an intermediate residential tier, i average 24M down and much lower up. But it is more than sufficient to stream HDX movies on VuDu. When I had Cablevision as a service provider, I was paying for twice the bandwidth i have now and i had constant buffering problems, partly due to the fact that the bandwidth was 'shared' by others on the same street and partly because they claim bandwidth using static tests, and not consistent demands made by something like an 85 minute long movie. When I worked with the techs at the streaming service they could see bandwidth drops way below the norm which, while lasting briefly, were sufficient to throw the stream into a tizzy. So, I'd place stability of the signal pretty high on my list of priorities, apart from bandwidth claims made by providers. Nonetheless, some of the speedtest results here are pretty impressive. I hope they have fios in Austin.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Using Fios and paying for an intermediate residential tier, i average 24M down and much lower up. But it is more than sufficient to stream HDX movies on VuDu. When I had Cablevision as a service provider, I was paying for twice the bandwidth i have now and i had constant buffering problems, partly due to the fact that the bandwidth was 'shared' by others on the same street and partly because they claim bandwidth using static tests, and not consistent demands made by something like an 85 minute long movie. When I worked with the techs at the streaming service they could see bandwidth drops way below the norm which, while lasting briefly, were sufficient to throw the stream into a tizzy. So, I'd place stability of the signal pretty high on my list of priorities, apart from bandwidth claims made by providers. Nonetheless, some of the speedtest results here are pretty impressive. I hope they have fios in Austin.

No I think they still use smoke signals down there :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing