TAD D600 SACD Player/DAC - Reference Line

TAD C2000 Preamp/DAC (Asynch USB) - Evolution Line

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks! good read.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Has anyone heard the D600 digital? I have read and re-read the article a few times and also tried to gather information elsewhere. Thanks for any guidance. Based for now on what i have read and some ancillary comments I may (repeat: may) be opening up a third lane here to compete against Zanden and Stahl-Tek.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd, what is the primary digital media you listen to? CD or music server (mac, PC, or other)?

I listen to CDs exclusively. I have bought remastered SACDs but listen to the CD layers on my Zanden...this is in case i end up with SACD someday, as i dont feel like buying another copy later. Plus, the remastered Analogue Production discs are usually SACD anyway.

Additionally, i have decided NOT to go server until i feel the technology is definitely established and there (and simple!). There is a lot of bits/pieces to optimize computer audio from what i am told. Too much for me anyway. However, i am curious about true hi-res...and i cannot do that now.

Some have advised to focus on my Zanden as my favorite 16/44 player...and leave hi-res as a separate thing. Any thoughts are welcome.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
My only suggestion would be to delay your dac purchase until you are ready to step over to a server based solution and get one that provides full server compatibility (meaning integrated asynch USB/FW, the three options you mentioned do not have this). In my opinion music server technology is fully mature and there are many extremely intuitive dedicated solutions available in addition to the macmini with iTunes/Pure Music which requires the most basic of computer skills to setup properly. I don't see why you would what is what I am saying, you will never look back.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My only suggestion would be to delay your dac purchase until you are ready to step over to a server based solution and get one that provides full server compatibility (meaning integrated asynch USB/FW, the three options you mentioned do not have this). In my opinion music server technology is fully mature and there are many extremely intuitive dedicated solutions available in addition to the macmini with iTunes/Pure Music which requires the most basic of computer skills to setup properly. I don't see why you would what is what I am saying, you will never look back.

Thanks AudioE. The Stahl-Tek comes with asynchronous usb input (as well as bnc, aes, i2s and rca). that would then work directly with a computer server, no?

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
I looked it up before posting, it comes with an "audiophile bridge" which means you would need to use a digital cable between it and the dac which will be prone to introducing jitter. Properly executed integrated asynch USB inputs typically will always outperform use of external USB->SPDIF converters as it is a much cleaner signal path.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I looked it up before posting, it comes with an "audiophile bridge" which means you would need to use a digital cable between it and the dac which will be prone to introducing jitter. Properly executed integrated asynch USB inputs typically will always outperform use of external USB->SPDIF converters as it is a much cleaner signal path.

Hi AudioE - thanks for taking the time to do that. I believe that the DAC itself has several digital inputs including USB. I believe the Bridge is a reclocker that is not necessary for computer usb hook-up...but apparently is better. Based on what you saw...am i correct?

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
I am not sure, I get the impression that there is only the bridge which has USB. The website is not very clear whether the units themselves have built in USB.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am not sure, I get the impression that there is only the bridge which has USB. The website is not very clear whether the units themselves have built in USB.

I think this is the back of the unit where the in-built USB is.

Vekian-Back.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I stand corrected :)

;) Thanks for taking the time to look into this...i am told the ABC bridge you read about is an improvement...another external clock i believe. My view is to listen to the DAC alone first...if i really dont like it at all...no sense in considering an external clock...my sense is clocks are important incremental improvements rather than wholesale changes.

ciamara

Dec 3, 2010
D600 and C2000

We are TAD dealer, so this is obviously biased, but we are big fans of the TAD electronics. The components are clearly not cheap, but if you open up any of them and have a look around, you can easily see where the money is going. Many of the internal parts are proprietary. Sonically, the results speak for themselves. The C2000 seems to be the perfect match for the M2500/4300 amplifier. The two balance each other out nicely. In isolation, I personally find the M2500/4300 to be good, but some people with smaller and/or reflective rooms find it to be a little bright. Adding the C2000 mellows it out in a really nice way. Together, they give a nice level of resolution and smoothness.

The D600, on the other hand, sounds amazing with and without the complementary C600 preamp and/or M600 mono blocks. The D600 sounds neutral and is very resolving. Some detractors argue that the D600 resamples DSD to PCM, so it is therefore not purist for the DSD crew. The design team felt it sounded better this way, though, which is why they chose to do things this way.

TAD electronics are extremely well constructed and deliver the goods after the break-in period (about 200-300 hours in my experience). I strongly recommend trying them out before drawing any conclusions, and ideally in the right combinations. We have most of the items in stock, so if anyone is interested, please contact me (sales AT ciamara DOT com). We'll help you make an informed decision.

Reactions: Amir

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing