Anyone else using Odyssey Kismet monoblocks?

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
The low-cost, but very high quality products (www.odysseyaudio.com) are built by one Klaus Bunge in Indiapolis. After 90 days of constant use, their conditioning phase is over, and the results are rather amazing. They run $4-5K depending upon the case and options, and provide about 180 watts, 60 amps, into 8 Ohms.

Anyone using them yet? Apparently Klaus licenses designs from the Symphonic Line in Germany and builds everything here.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The low-cost, but very high quality products (www.odysseyaudio.com) are built by one Klaus Bunge in Indiapolis. After 90 days of constant use, their conditioning phase is over, and the results are rather amazing. They run $4-5K depending upon the case and options, and provide about 180 watts, 60 amps, into 8 Ohms.

Anyone using them yet? Apparently Klaus licenses designs from the Symphonic Line in Germany and builds everything here.

The link to the Kismet products doesn't seem to be working tonight :(

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Interesting. I have contacted Klaus twice to arrange an audition here in Indy but nothing came of it. I had asked him if we could tour his mfr. area since it's nearby but he said there was nothing much here to see. I would bet that the amps are assembled in China.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Here is a link to some information about the assembly of Odyssey amps. It looks like everything is built in the U.S.

http://www.avguide.com/review/tas-195-odyssey-audio-khartago-stereo-amplifier?page=3

Hi

JV has lost his credibility with many audiophiles. I would however say that comparing the Odyssey to the Solution and concluding that it they are very close is noteworthy... At the price this needs to be researched further... I for one am very interested.. Will report ...
Frantz

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
Klaus assembles everything in Indianapolis with local labor. Some of the parts are sourced overseas, but the circuit boards, sheet metal, etc., is fabricated in the U.S.

The particular model mentioned by JV was the entry-level Khartago, and basically it's a lot of fun for the price. Of course the Stratos (various forms) and Kismet series run from $2500 to $5000 roughly, and are in a completely different league. Mine took almost exactly 90 days to break in, being operated continuously. Power cost is about $25 a month here in Hawaii, where the power is quite expensive, so that's acceptable.

What I noticed immediately between the Stratos stereo Extreme amp (extra transformer, extra power caps) and the Kismet monoblocks was a smoother, more continous sound. The Kismets are 8 power transistors per side; the Strato has 4. The Kismet is clearly a truly high-end product, and an exceptional value. Selling factory-direct helps keep the price reasonable.

The voicing is just ever so slightly to the warm, which makes for fatigue-free listening. It is extremely detailed, miles of depth and width to the soundstage (and this is mid-range DACs), and really easy on the ears all at the same time. They're on to something here.

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
@Myles The Kismet link has never worked :). Sometimes you call them up at 11 pm local time, and the whole company is at work, getting a shipment out the door for an overseas distributor... fixing up the Web site is not high on their list of priorities.

@es347 Based upon recent photographic evidence :) the amps are assembled in a rather un-deluxe facility dominated by sheet metal fabrication gear. Definitely not assembled in China, unless Indiana has relocated recently. The boards are stuffed by hand, and the fellow does the work told me it takes a good 8 hours each to do. I doubt they have a demo area.

Klaus' ear, on the other hand, is very good, and he is the exact opposite of the bluff and bluster marketing types. He has clear opinions about which amps are better than his, and which ones are inferior.

Given that the amps are essentially hand-built in small batches, to some degree they can be matched to particular speakers.

Bigfish8

Apr 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I owned two Odyssey Mono SE Amps until earlier this spring. They were purchased new from Klaus of Odyssey in May, 2007 and were his top of the line amps at the time. The Mono SEs are still available but the Kismet's are the current top of the line products. Klaus produces every amp in Indiana and if you are interested in Odyssey Products I recommend you give him a call. He is one heck of a nice guy and has a reputation for taking care of his customers.

Ken

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing