How to tell a good speaker

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
How to tell a good speaker, well this one is VERY EASY , if you can spend more than a couple of hours listening then you have a good speaker, normaly the EARS will let you know pretty quick if it's good or not.

Agreed, long-term listening enjoyment is what you want.

But if you don't have the time to adequately audition multiple speakers for several hours each, here's an alternative to help you decide between your final few front-runners:

Make sure the room isn't overdamped. Turn the volume level up a bit louder than normal and walk out of the room. Listen through the open doorway, with no line-of-sight to the speakers.

From outside the room like that, all you can possibly hear is the reverberant field - something that live instruments inherently get right, but few loudspeakers do. If it sounds like live music is happening back in the room, imo that bodes very well for long-term listening enjoyment.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

But if you don't have the time to adequately audition multiple speakers for several hours each, here's an alternative to help you decide between your final few front-runners:

Make sure the room isn't overdamped. Turn the volume level up a bit louder than normal and walk out of the room. Listen through the open doorway, with no line-of-sight to the speakers.

From outside the room like that, all you can possibly hear is the reverberant field - something that live instruments inherently get right, but few loudspeakers do. If it sounds like live music is happening back in the room, imo that bodes very well for long-term listening enjoyment.

Interesting observation. I don't know how many times I've walked past a room, stopped and went inside as the sounds I heard were very captivating.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Interesting...I do that all the time and thought I was crazy. I still do it at home from time to time. I use it as a sanity check because it distils down for me my main priorities (which are not soundstaging, etc)...but basically whether the tone of the note feels right, the human voice feels human-like and whether the overall balance of bass feels realistic enough. Thanks for the advice!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
To take this a step further and maybe it doesn't apply, but I have an L-shaped room that is partially divided. When I'm in the alcove on my PC and have the system playing in the background I sometimes have to stop because the music sounds really, really good. I'm not in the sweet spot (obviously) or anywhere close to listening critically, but when this occurs I just have to stop and listen properly. I've have friends do the same thing. The music sounds good not because of what I'm playing, but simply the overall smile it brings to my face when something pleasing reaches my ears.

Duke LeJeune

Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
To take this a step further and maybe it doesn't apply, but I have an L-shaped room that is partially divided. When I'm in the alcove on my PC and have the system playing in the background I sometimes have to stop because the music sounds really, really good. I'm not in the sweet spot (obviously) or anywhere close to listening critically, but when this occurs I just have to stop and listen properly. I've have friends do the same thing. The music sounds good not because of what I'm playing, but simply the overall smile it brings to my face when something pleasing reaches my ears.

Yup, that's it! What speakers do you have, if you don't mind my asking?

I've heard of this auditioning technique being called "Listening In Another Room". Gotta love the acronym.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Didn't someone coin the phrase "LIAR test"? (Listening In Another Room)

Edit: Guess you beat me to it.

Duke LeJeune

Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Didn't someone coin the phrase "LIAR test"? (Listening In Another Room)

Edit: Guess you beat me to it.

Ha! Yes, beat you by a whole four minutes!!

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Von Schweikert on the nameplate :cool:

+1 es347 As for me if you see this label on the base of the speaker - - - m7TNy-MXdsPP0tyf4cHGnmg.jpg LOOK NO FURTHER YOU HAVE FOUND IT.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Yup, that's it! What speakers do you have, if you don't mind my asking?

I've heard of this auditioning technique being called "Listening In Another Room". Gotta love the acronym.

Sorry for the late response...on vacation. To answer your question I have a pair of Genesis G7.1f's.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
It has to disappear.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
How to tell a good speaker, well this one is VERY EASY , if you can spend more than a couple of hours listening then you have a good speaker, normaly the EARS will let you know pretty quick if it's good or not.

And I totally disagree and think this path is the surest way to disaster.

What the ear initially picks up often seems to be quite primal in nature and in listening terms, detail, detail, detail. A couple of hours of listening is nothing.

There is no substitute for long term listening. In my experience, equipment/speakers that often sound initially good sound like dreck in the long run; conversely, what often seems boring, unexciting at first, sounds more like music with long term listening (I also find this especially true of capacitors).

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
And I totally disagree and think this path is the surest way to disaster.

What the ear initially picks up often seems to be quite primal in nature and in listening terms, detail, detail, detail. A couple of hours of listening is nothing.

There is no substitute for long term listening. In my experience, equipment/speakers that often sound initially good sound like dreck in the long run; conversely, what often seems boring, unexciting at first, sounds more like music with long term listening (I also find this especially true of capacitors).

Sorry i should have said MY ears instead of THE ears will let you know pretty quick, because i for one would rather have LESS detail than to much because i'm very sensible to high frequencies, that is what i ment, because to ME to much DETAIL is the surest way to disaster.:)

theguesswho

Feb 25, 2012
Connecticut
Mr Acoustat said, Sorry i should have said MY ears instead of THE ears will let you know pretty quick, because i for one would rather have LESS detail than to much because i'm very sensible to high frequencies, that is what i ment, because to ME to much DETAIL is the surest way to disaster."

Perhaps thats why you like Acoustats?

Wendell

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Mr Acoustat said, Sorry i should have said MY ears instead of THE ears will let you know pretty quick, because i for one would rather have LESS detail than to much because i'm very sensible to high frequencies, that is what i ment, because to ME to much DETAIL is the surest way to disaster."

Perhaps thats why you like Acoustats?

Wendell

No Wendell i don't like Acoustats, I love Acoustats. :)

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Mr Acoustat, Then do you think that the Acoustats are rolled off in the low and high freq and perhaps thats why you love them?

Wendell

No sir what i'm saying is that they sound just right to ME and that's what counts.:)

PS: 30 years of satisfaction, that's a pretty good sign.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing