AudioQuest Sorbothane Record Mat Issue

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
My brother owns an Audioquest sorbothane record mat, and has had some record damage from using the mat! Here is his correspondence with Audioquest and their response. Hopefully, any member here who has an issue will have this as a precedent:

Yesterday while I was off an LP popped into my head I wanted to hear. Pulled it out and it had the dreaded damage from that Sorbogel matt. I said a few words and I emailed Audioquest.

I told him the first one I purchased about 15 years ago had no damaging effects, but the one 3 years was the culprit.

I just wanted to let you know seeing as your invloved in hi-end forums. Nice to see them step up to the plate here for me, even though I threw the matt in the trash and have no proof of purchase.

I will take a picture of them and list the ones I send for my records. Seems half are audiophile pressings so far. Ruff job sitting in the closet...one by one checking is the only way.

Here is thier reply.

Dear David,

Unfortunately we are well aware of the problem with the record mat. Sorbothane Inc., who made the mat as well as other products made from Sorbothane or Sorbogel for us over the last 25 years or so, changed the formula of the mat causing the problem. The mat has been discontinued now for over a year but Sorbothane Inc. will still not divulge the changes they made.

If you return the affected records to us we will have them professionally cleaned. The cleaning may not remove all the marks but the records will play like new again. If a record cannot be cleaned satisfactorily we will make every attempt to find a replacement.

Best regards,

Alasdair Patrick – Customer Service
AudioQuest
2621 White Rd., Irvine, CA 92614
AQ Main: 949-585-0111
apatrick@audioquest.com
www.audioquest.com

Lee

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing