Koetsu Coralstone

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Anyone use one ? I currently use either a Shelter Harmony or Ortofon A90. I am trying to figure out if I want to get one for my stable. There is a lightly used one on Agon I'm looking at. Also, is there a platinum version or is the very fact it's a coralstone model, it's also a platinum model. Any sound comparo's to the carts I currently have would be helpful. TIA.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/koetsu-coralstone-top-line-mc-cartridge--2

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Christian, I have just heard the Black and Rosewood (wooden bodies) and the Blue (Stoned body) - the wooden bodiess are very good cartridges with the typical Koetsu sound, very musical with slightly rolled-off extremes, the Blue is one of the best I have heard (open, dynamic, nuanced, great slam) and is in my wish list. I currently own a Blue Angel Mantis that is not there but has a Koetsu heart (for those who knows the story of Andre and Blue Angel).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Anyone use one ? I currently use either a Shelter Harmony or Ortofon A90. I am trying to figure out if I want to get one for my stable. There is a lightly used one on Agon I'm looking at. Also, is there a platinum version or is the very fact it's a coralstone model, it's also a platinum model. Any sound comparo's to the carts I currently have would be helpful. TIA.

You should speak to Albert Porter. The man has an immense collection of cartridges and last time we spoke the Coralstone was one of his fans. Also know he got his Atlas same time as me ;)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Beautiful audiophile jewelry , the best show analogue demonstration i heard , had a coralstone in the arm

As far as i know all the stonebodies have platinum magnets, if i recall correctly there was also a coralstone version with diamond cantilever

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

the Ortofon Anna should be released soon; and it is pretty amazing to my ears. it will take the good things about the A90 and improve them, and add more life and body.

no doubt the Lyra Atlas would be another consideration too.

if you can only add one 'expensive' cartridge these are two to consider.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thnx Mike. Do you have any experience with Koetsu stone bodies in your system at one time ? Can you explain their sound relative to an A90 to give me a baseline ? At $6k, the lightly used coralstone sounds like a great deal.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Thnx Mike. Do you have any experience with Koetsu stone bodies in your system at one time ? Can you explain their sound relative to an A90 to give me a baseline ? At $6k, the lightly used coralstone sounds like a great deal.

i owned a Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum for 10 years (it was my reference back in 1998-2000), which is part of the Platinum magnet upper section of Koetsu's, but never a Stoned Body Koetsu. i've only heard a Coralstone briefly once and really am not the right person to answer your question. any sort of attempt by me at trying to give you a sense of the differences would be mostly a guess on my part and would not be very useful.

i do understand the desire to scratch the Koetsu Stone Body itch as i've had it myself before. sorry i can't be more help.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thanks for your input Mike...

I decided to scratch my Koetsu itch and just purchased the Coralstone. I receive it on Friday. Will report my impressions once I get some listening time under my belt.

andi

Apr 9, 2012
Germany
Hi Christian,

I feel that this is a good decision.
It seems to be a reliable seller and the price was hot.

Have fun
Andreas

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thanks Andi,

Well I have had the cart now for a few days.

Compared to my Ortofon A90 (Which is fantastic, neutral and accurate) the Coralstone has all of those traits and more. The A90 sounds a bit on the lean side. The Coralstone does not. Much richer midrange and a more extended and articulated bass. The top end is sweet and never overbearing. I have been testing it with Duke Ellington's Jazz party Classic Records 45 rpm. I find this album to be excellent in evaluating a cart's performance. The Coralstone is crystal clear and undistorted in the reproduction and can handle the dynamic horn crescendo's with aplomb. I'm in love...

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Thanks Andi,

Well I have had the cart now for a few days.

Compared to my Ortofon A90 (Which is fantastic, neutral and accurate) the Coralstone has all of those traits and more. The A90 sounds a bit on the lean side. The Coralstone does not. Much richer midrange and a more extended and articulated bass. The top end is sweet and never overbearing. I have been testing it with Duke Ellington's Jazz party Classic Records 45 rpm. I find this album to be excellent in evaluating a cart's performance. The Coralstone is crystal clear and undistorted in the reproduction and can handle the dynamic horn crescendo's with aplomb. I'm in love...

Christian,

sounds like a wonderful cartridge. congrats. 'in love' is what it's all about. :)

i use 'Jazz Party In Stereo' Malletoba Spank as a test track all the time. it separates the men from the boys.

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Christian,

sounds like a wonderful cartridge. congrats. 'in love' is what it's all about. :)

i use 'Jazz Party In Stereo' Malletoba Spank as a test track all the time. it separates the men from the boys.

Mike-I just ordered the 200G version of this LP from Acoustic Sounds. Could you start another thread about this LP and go into more detail about why you consider Mattetoba Spank to be a reference cut and what we should listen for? Some of us might appreciate it. I know I would.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike-I just ordered the 200G version of this LP from Acoustic Sounds. Could you start another thread about this LP and go into more detail about why you consider Mattetoba Spank to be a reference cut and what we should listen for? Some of us might appreciate it. I know I would.

MEP, ok sure. i can do that. the only issue is that my MM3's are now sitting in 6 crates in the garage waiting to be shipped to a new home, and i've got a loaner set of new Von Schweikert Unifield 3's that are breaking in in their place for a couple of months while my MM7's are being built. the flags are at half staff. :(

The Unifield 3's are a fine speaker for their price range, and will get better as they break in, but Malletoba Spank will not be the same. i suppose i can do this from memory. i did play it this past weekend 3 times (comparing phono stages).

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks Mike, I appreciate it. Your memories are very recent so I'm sure you can do it justice.

Mark

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
How long till the MM7s Mike? Yes the U3s are good speakers but it must feel like going from a Corvette to a Sonic.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
How long till the MM7s Mike? Yes the U3s are good speakers but it must feel like going from a Corvette to a Sonic.

'if the creek don't rise'....late August....2...whole...months. ugggh!!

and tonight i spoke to jtinn who is helping set up MM7 pair numero uno in an un-named location and he was going nuts. double-ugggh!!

the second set of MM7's is going to a neighbor of yours there where you live. mine is number 3.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing