What is the best speaker you have ever owned ?????

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Of all the speakers you have owned wich MAKE & MODEL did you like the most.?????

Since 1984 to 2013 i have owned 1 pair of Magnepan and 6 pairs of Acoustat's and by far my preference is my 1984 Acoustat 1+1s that i presently own now.

Keep It Simple 1600 X 1200.jpg

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
It is a hard question since you are asking for ONE pick :) runner-ups are Sonus Faber Guarneri, Eaglestone Rosas and Avalon Ascent -> I pick the later as the best I have had for several reasons, i) frequency response, ii) driver integration and iii) soundstage recreation. Summing all this up brings the Avalon as a very musical and engaging speaker.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I probably had the most enjoyment from a pair of Cerwin Vega S-2's. Damn they could play loud and would allow me to take them to parties and DJ from around '79 - '83.

andi

Apr 9, 2012
Germany
Hi,

the best speaker I ever had, is completly unknown in the US, I think.
It was an Intonation Terzian standmount speaker.
http://www.terzian.de/fr_lautsp.html Sorry, in german only.

By an accident my JR Coherence, Spectral monos and the speakers were blown.
After this frustration I never went back to this setup.

Andreas

Reactions: rpk

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
The ones I currently own: VSA VR5 Anniversaries

Robin Hood

Mar 21, 2011
Of all the speakers you have owned wich MAKE & MODEL did you like the most.?????

since 1984 to 2012 i have owned 1 pair of Magnepan's and 6 pairs of Acoustat's and by far my preference was my (1984 ) Acoustat 1+1s that i presently have right now

Since you owned the Acoustat 1+1s since 1984, what are its weaknesses that prompted you to look for and buy other speakers? Are you through looking for other speakers? Have you considered buying a better amp or CD player?

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Little misunderstanding here i am not looking for new speakers i'm very happy with what i have and they will probably be my last speakers i'm 99.9% sure.:)

PS: The .1% is in case i win the lotery, then it would be much bigger Acoustat's.

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, MrAcoustat. To answer your question, my current speakers. A set of Tyler Acoustics Lynbrook Signature Series towers in the Ribbon Mahogany finish. Best "all around" speaker I have found to date that costs less than my house. Incredible imaging. Very precise and musical. I find myself dancing and tapping my toes often. I guess that's a good sign, eh?

Tom

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
What's important is that you are happy with what you have and yes that is a good sign

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What I have now is the best I've owned, Von Schweikert Audio VR-9 SE Mk.2. It is a chameleon that will drastically change the presentation depending on what comes in front of it in the chain. When dialed in, it does the same for whatever recording is being played. I love how the soundstage changes from recording to recording. It runs the gamut from sweet and gentle to outright violent and fierce.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Yes, my current speakers are by far the best I have owned. I can't imagine regressing in one's speaker progression historically. It is like evolution, financial permitting...

MilkMan

Feb 9, 2012
Wilson Watt Puppies... beyond a doubt the best speakers I ever owned. They're not the best I've ever heard though! That honour goes to the MBLs (however the price tag of >$125k somewhat discourages me at the moment!) These MBLs made a believer out of me for omni-directional speakers (a concept I abhorred until I heard them!).

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
like most others: the ones I currently own. ;)

Mine are highly modified and customized MartinLogan electrostats, Monolith IIIx fronts, Sequel IIb rears and a custom center channel

Along with my custom Infinite Baffle sub in a custom designed and fully treated room, a truly reference level rig. Have yet to hear anything that comes close, mostly thanks to excellent room integration.

Active crossovers and a dozen amplification channels keep it cranking at low distortion all the way past 105dB SPL :cool:

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I agree 100% that to get better than stats with boxed speakers you need to spend two to three times the $$$$$ good luck.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I agree 100% to get better than GOOD electrostats with boxes, you need at least two to three times the $$$$$ good luck.

For your preferences; others would strongly disagree.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Yes sir they have the same rights as i do, for some vinyl rules for me stats rule. ( dollar for dollar ) NOTHING COME'S CLOSE

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yes sir they have the same rights as i do, for some vinyl rules for me stats rule. ( dollar for dollar ) NOTHING COME'S CLOSE

Yes for others who value dynamics top and bottom end extension and the ultra precise imaging of dynamic speakers might feel otherwise. One also doesn't need to spend an arm and a leg as evidence by the new $2500 Evolution Acoustics speakers and others.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing