What is the best speaker you have ever owned ?????

ozarktom

Jun 23, 2013
Interesting. But then as I understand, the reliability of the Acoustat servo amps was less than stellar. :( My friend had a pair of rebuilt NYAL OTL on his Crosby Quads and they were quite good, when they worked. Which wasn't often enough sad to say. The EAR 509 didn't sound veiled; to the contrary the issue was the bass was way to big, bloated and boomy and the top end was rather soft. The best sound I heard was with either the ARC D90 or D110 back then.

I could never understand though why the Acoustat amps sounded so bad with their own speakers. Surely it should have been a match made in heaven (and that was at the time with an ARC SP10 and Linn/Itok/Koetsu Rosewood cartridge). It just was absolutely washed out, thin and electronic sounding.

All conventional tube amps sounded veiled with the Acoustats, but you did not realize that until you compared them with the servo amps. One of Acoustat's technicians, Roy Esposito, continued to modify the amps in the 80's and made the amps sound even more open and reliable. I often wondered why the company did not introduce this configuration. Maybe they would still be in business?

One quote from Frank Van Alstine was, the Acoustats with DD tube amps makes all other ESL's sound broken. He was 100% right.

dave03hd

Apr 22, 2014
If your budget is baloney and Cheese like mine, I would suggest giving a listen to the GoldenEar Triton two's. I'm telling you, I would put these up against any $10,000 dollar speakers any day. They run $3000 a pair, and in June 2014 they are coming out with the Triton one's, $5000 a pair. they are supposed to be put up against any $50,000 speakers. Don't knock them until you audition them.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
If your budget is baloney and Cheese like mine, I would suggest giving a listen to the GoldenEar Triton two's. I'm telling you, I would put these up against any $10,000 dollar speakers any day. They run $3000 a pair, and in June 2014 they are coming out with the Triton one's, $5000 a pair. they are supposed to be put up against any $50,000 speakers. Don't knock them until you audition them.

Golden Ear Triton Two.

212gold.promo_.jpg

Last edited:

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
Here is a review in the latest issue of Enjoy The Music.com where the reviewer states the Sound Lab 845PX is "the speaker for the rest of your life" and is among less than a handful of the best loudspeakers I have ever listened to—at any price, under any circumstances."

Sound Lab Majestic 845PX Electrostatic Speaker -The heart of a music system that should last you forever. Review By Dr. Jules L. Coleman
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superi..._lab_majestic_845px_electrostatic_speaker.htm

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I for one being a die hard panel guy have no problem believing that review, i am 68 years old and have been with panels for the last 30 years ( Acoustat's ) six different pairs and dollar for dollar NOTHING come's close to the sound of panels.

Acoustat model 1+1 all steel frame 14x94x3 inches 200 pounds 30-20k hz plus/minus 2db

MrAcoustat & Speaker.JPG

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Actually that is the Triton two, that is what I have. Here is the new Triton One. View attachment 15308

These are designed buy the same guy who founded Definitive Technology. The Triton speakers are designed along the same line as the Mytho Def Tech speakers except for the new ribbon tweeter.

Brian Beck

Sep 15, 2013
USA
Regarding direct-drive tube amps for electrostatic speakers: I once designed and built a direct drive amp for my Quad ESL-63s. It used huge 833 radio transmitter triodes in an "H" bridge output stage configuration. It provided +/-7800 volt signal peaks with relatively low source impedance. The electrostatic stator's connected directly to the cathodes of the upper 833s. The sound of the Quads were transformed, if you'll pardon the paradoxical descriptor, there being no audio transformers any more. Bass was tighter and better defined while the upper registers were more open, free and clear. Alas, having 8 monster RF tubes in the listening room was too much. I have studied the schematic of the Acoustat direct-drive amp and, frankly, it is a weak design. One can do better with an all-tube front end and more powerful output tubes with lower driving impedance. With a proper direct-drive tube amp, two audio transformers are eliminated. It is an ideal. Ironically my choice today, large Apogee ribbons, are driven by large tube amps requiring the usual step-down transformer. Someday however, I will once again tackle a full range ESL design with direct-drive amps, encouraged as I was by the positive outcome with those Quads.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Being an Infinity lover, I want to say my previous Renaissance 90's. The Rens were a revelation in terms of sound staging and the way they disappeared in the room. My Marten Coltranes were a big step up in resolution and purity, but the best speakers I have owed to date by a fair margin are my current Magico S5's. My S5's incorporate the mid-cycle upgrade to the midrange enclosure, and of course have the current spec tweeters (ie: without the mesh cover). The S5's have a wonderful balance and coherence which the Rens lacked. They sound a bit more laid back in presentation than the Q3's and a bit warmer. They are "great all-rounders" and definitely keepers!

Elberoth's room:
magicos5.jpg

Last edited:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
...I have studied the schematic of the Acoustat direct-drive amp and, frankly, it is a weak design. One can do better with an all-tube front end and more powerful output tubes with lower driving impedance. With a proper direct-drive tube amp, two audio transformers are eliminated...
You might want to investigate Roger Modjeski's ideas (mentioned earlier in this thread) if you haven't already.

Bergfinn

Apr 6, 2013
I've had several models of Proac Response series and Martin Logans, but I still miss my old Spendor BC1.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Acoustat Direct Coupled Amp

Regarding direct-drive tube amps for electrostatic speakers: ... I have studied the schematic of the Acoustat direct-drive amp and, frankly, it is a weak design. One can do better with an all-tube front end and more powerful output tubes with lower driving impedance. With a proper direct-drive tube amp, two audio transformers are eliminated...

Yes I agree and it has been done. Dan Fannie of AHT fame(American Hybrid Technology from days of yore) built just such an amp. It's still the best amp I have EVER heard on Acoustats in my 30 years owning Acoustats. The amps replace the half-wave transformer with a full-wave custom built transformer, took out the standby circuit, installed a 7308 based front end, replaced many caps/resistors, changed the 6HB5 power tube to 6LB6 cap tubes. Also added separate switches for the heaters and high voltage on the power tubes. The one huge issue was/is how to protect from power outages/surges which would take out the high voltage parts. I had it happen twice which is why I eventually gave up and sold them, even though one pair was still working.

John

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Yes I agree and it has been done. Dan Fannie of AHT fame(American Hybrid Technology from days of yore) built just such an amp. It's still the best amp I have EVER heard on Acoustats in my 30 years owning Acoustats. The amps replace the half-wave transformer with a full-wave custom built transformer, took out the standby circuit, installed a 7308 based front end, replaced many caps/resistors, changed the 6HB5 power tube to 6LB6 cap tubes. Also added separate switches for the heaters and high voltage on the power tubes. The one huge issue was/is how to protect from power outages/surges which would take out the high voltage parts. I had it happen twice which is why I eventually gave up and sold them, even though one pair was still working.

John

I have heard some very heavily modded acoustats driven directly by an amp made by Roger Modjeski.
This was the best system I've ever heard.

Read about it here:
http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/61877-best-speaker-in-the-world-just-got-better/

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
My current transducers are the best I have ever owned "Martin Logan Summit X".

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Martin Logan CLXs with decent i subs

Reason clear magical sound what the CLXs do well they do very well.

Not giant killers but for the price very good

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
I've heard speakers costing upwards $100k and still prefer my Martin Logan Summit Xs for sound quality. I would very much say these are giant killers.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I've heard speakers costing upwards $100k and still prefer my Martin Logan Summit Xs for sound quality. I would very much say these are giant killers.
Don't forget to read Myles' review of the Magico S5 ;)

Audioseduction

Dec 6, 2010
FLORIDA
Don't forget to read Myles' review of the Magico S5 ;)

I've heard the S5 many times and still think the Summit Xs are better sounding to me. I feel the Summit Xs provides better transparency, imaging, tighter & more bass slam, sweeter mids and very organic highs without sacrificing the details. The s5 were shy on bass and the highs are a bit too edgy for my tast.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I've heard the S5 many times and still think the Summit Xs are better sounding to me. I feel the Summit Xs provides better transparency, imaging, tighter & more bass slam, sweeter mids and very organic highs without sacrificing the details. The s5 were sigh on bass and the highs are a bit too edgy for my tast.

'sigh on bass' ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing