ANY JADIS DEFY 7 OWNERS OUT THERE? i HAVE A PROBLEM

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I finally broke down and opened up the Jadis to take a look at the bias situation as my left channel was distorting. Each 6550 has a fuse which is where you measure the bias compared to ground. 5 of the 6 tubes on the left channel had the fuse blown. 2 of the 6 tubes on the right channel had the fuse blown.

Here is what I would like to know from someone who has experience with this amp. Does a blown fuse mean a blown tube or just bias that got out of control? Also, what is the value of the fuses if someone knows. All I can make out is 250V but no current rating.

The only tube tester I have access to (Hickok 539C) can't measure 6550 tubes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mark

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Mark:

Found this info; don't know how current it is?

Da-Hong Seetoo Productions

Hi-End Audio Engineering and Recording

telephone and fax: 718-465-6298

e-mail: dseetoo@cs.com

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Myles-I have emailed both Da-Hong and Patrick. Thanks for your help.

Mark

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Anytime :)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I ordered new fuses today from Digi-Key and 12 matched Gold Lion KT-88s from Upscale Audio. Hopefully I will be up and playing this weekend.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
The new fuses from Digi-Key showed up today and the Gold Lion KT-88 tubes from Kevin Deal should be here on Friday. Patrick finally sent me a bias procedure from Jadis. I have removed all of the output tubes and replaced all of the blown fuses. I have 4 ohm-100 watt dummy load resistors hooked up for each channel as recommended by Jadis. I have all of the bias pots turned down and I am now ready to install the new tubes and set the bias. Hopefully I will be back up and running Friday night.

I am looking forward to having the Jadis running on all 12 cylinders and hoping the GL KT-88 tubes sound good (make that great). I also bought an hour meter which won't be shipped to me until the 16 Jun that I am going to use to keep track of the hours on my output tubes. According to Da-Hong, the output tubes in the Jadis Defy 7 are only good for around 1500 hours which is about half the hours the original owner told me they were good for. I will have to manually track the tube hours until my hour meter shows up. The funny thing is that all of the SED 6550 tubes still look brand new. Usually as output tubes age the getter(s) tell the tale.

Mark

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing