Analog recommendations

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I'm contemplating getting an analog setup and would like you smart analog guys' help. I love the Brinkmann Bardo that I heard at THE show in numerous rooms, but price with arm seems a bit high for my first foray into analog. It's 12k MSRP including arm I believe? Stunning looking though.

I have a McIntosh C2300 preamp with a very good phono stage from all accounts. I also picked up a Zu 103 cart that I can start out with and tonearm cable (two years back). So basically I think all I need is a TT and arm.

The 3000-3500 range seems to be a sweet spot. Catch with me is that I need a non-fussy table (due to being a wheelchair audiophile, can't be getting up and down all the time to mess with setup/settings). I've been told to avoid the VPIs and WTA for instance.

As far as sound, I don't want a laid back table.

Thanks for your ideas in advance!

KeithR

jdandy2

Jun 13, 2012
North Florida
Keith.......I have been very pleased with the performance of my Michell Gyro SE with an SME 309 tonearm and Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge. The Michell Gyro SE is $2495 new, and the SME 309 tonearm is $2195 new. At $4690 this makes a very fine vinyl rig. I have seen both the turntable and tonearm being sold used at some very attractive prices, as well. Once set up properly, the Michell Gyro SE with the SME 309 tonearm provides very good analog performace for a price that wont leave you bankrupt.

GyroSEonBoosBlock3.jpg

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
as much as i like denon 103s, imo the Zu cartridge will limit the number of compatible arms to the med-high, high-mass types.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
If your committed...get what you want. I spent 6k on my first setup with your thought process in mind. A lesser rig than you want, you will just end up selling and you will lose money. Get the Bardo setup if that is what you want and can afford. For me, I went from a 6k setup to a $50k setup with arms and carts in a little over 1.5 years.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Thanks guys - the Zu cart is least of my worries and can change if need be. I am eyeing a Clearaudio Ovation at the moment, but will stew on the entire genre for a week first.

The committment to analog is quite large I am learning.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing