The Quasar Array Subwoofers

Health Nut

May 26, 2010
This thread will document the construction of the Quasar Array subwoofers, (8) LMS Ultra 5400 drivers in (4) dual opposed cabinets, two supermassive black holes fighting it out inside the indestructible enclosure.

Final specifications:

42"H x 23"D x 28"W external. 4 cm thick baltic birch (1.575" thick) for enclosure and interlocking shelf bracing. Covered by 1.3 cm (1/2 inch) of mitered Black Quartz stone. This yields a 5.3 cm (2.1") thick wall of baltic birch and quartz stone.

Vtotal = 11.09 cu. ft (314 liters)
Vb = 9.95 cu. ft (282 liters) (after drivers + bracing).

Qtc = 0.487
F3 = 50Hz

The design will incorporate the use of a custom Marchand Bassis which can push the output flat to 5 Hz. Given that a total of (8) LMS Ultra 5400 18" drivers will be utilized, the output in the single digits will be quite substantial.

The Qtc is slightly lower due to the addition of a combination of Acousta-stuff and some acoustic foam.

Here are some reviews of the LMS Ultra 5400 driver:

This is an expensive and heavy woofer. However, those are the only drawbacks regarding this beautifully engineered speaker. Looks,build quality and even the seperate packaging of magnet and cone reflects a rare attention to detail. The objective performance is unequaled in my experience. Total harmonic distortion between 20-100 Hz. is 0.4-0.7% at 110db! As output level increases, the distortion rises less than any other woofer ever tested. By comparison, the Exodus Maelstrom 18 measured no cleaner than 2.4% at only 90db and got MUCH worse as level was increased or frequency decreased. The TC Sounds sub maintains low distortion down to 8hz. Frequency response linearity is excellent even up to 1 Khz. Impulse response is exceptional,especially for an 18" sub. Objective excellence translates directly to superb subjective performance and realism. With box requirements as small as 2.6 cu.ft. sealed (f3=43 hz)and 4.3 ported (f3=24 hz)

The LMS Ultra 5400 18" driver is state of the art. Compare the 5400 to other subwoofer drivers looking at sensitivity, power handling, the relative inductance (comparatively), and much more displacement. Higher BL^2/Re (BL product is arbitrary and you must consider the resistance). Thow in a better suspension as well as the replacement feature. Nothing can tocuh this driver if you are willing to provide it with teh power that is requires. Nothing can provide the output and sound quality in such a small enclosure. We used thses drivers for ported, PR, and sealed subwoofers. for sealed, it was so easy to achieve a 0.5Q box, we decided to opt for the slightly bigger box. If you truly know how to compare drivers and T/S parameters, you will see how far this driver stands alone. On a driver ro driver bassis, it walks all over the MAL-X 18 and 21. The price is lower on those drivers for a reason. Try modeling the Mal-X 18 or 21 and it is no contest up against the LMS ULTRA-5400. You simply can not do with other drivers what the LMS 5400 can do... it DOES live up to they hype. If you can afford to use this driver, it is amazing in every aspect. You have to do the math *properly*. The subjective sound quality is sheerly amazing.

I will post the pictures of the construction as soon as I get the chance.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I have not thought of "baltic birch and quartz stone" speakers walls before, despite placing something similar (sand boxes) under the speaker to spike to.

Found this looking up what you described today, how similar in function I cannot say as it's for an open baffle speaker.

Sand filled walls:
http://www.audiophiletalk.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?action=print;num=1176778579

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing