Now I've gone and did it!! , er... dun it! Sony TC 766-2!

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Well... couldn't keep off the Craigslist, Wifey and Jr. are in Europe for the summer, so what with no one to police me.....
I've found a Sony TC 766-2 local, on CL... the deck is beat up, and according to the seller "the lights come on, but it doesn't 'go' when you press the 'go' button"
The ask was $150....
I dashed over, got the deck for $100... and it seems the tape wasn't threaded properly..... so the 'go' button...seems to work after all!
IF this deck functions, I can FINALLY start enjoying proper 2 track 15 ips, and it has a 4 track playback function as well, so I won't even have to abandon my 4 track collection.
I'm staring at it right now, and I'm going to plug it in, and see what it can do!
Fingers crossed!!!
Mike, sounds like you have found a bit of heaven on earth with the 1/2" Studer!! Yeesh!!!
Ok, off I go, I will add pics later. I don't even know WHERE to begin with this thing, as it needs a good bit of 'cosmetic' work, missing knobs, headstack cover, nameplate, side panels, and the obligatory deep scratches, dented corners and such.
They really are nice, solid looking decks.... but this example needs a lot of help in the looks dept.
cheers!

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Whew!!! Ok, popped one of my old factory 2 tracks (petrushka-firebird, stravinsky) on the Sony and lo and behold--- action!!!
Very very solid transport mechanism here, dual capstan, very solid, the revox pr99 feels like a cheap toy in comparison (don't say it)!
However..... The sound wasn't very well defined... I looked at the 2track/4track playback selector switch, and it was pushed in, crooked, beat up. A couple of wiggles and i quickly realized there's something not right there.
Of course the heads all run directly into a 12 cent switch(!) which is affixed to a tiny sony circuit board, if course, lifted traces galore, and such.
After a quick 'repair' of the switch and some jumpers on the board, im left with action in the R channel, and Nada in the left channel.... VU action mirrors this.
As i fiddle with the switch, it becomes clear that the switch itself needs replacing.... So.... The question is: Do i take the crappy switch out of the path altogether?
I really, really want that 4 track capability..... However, most of my fave 4 tracks can be procured in the 2 track 15ips format, and hey, i could always dub the ones that aren't..... Sigh.
Anyhoo... I've 'walked away' for the time being.
She looks a lot better, the facing is easily removable, so I've painted it hammertone silver, it's beginning to look sharp, now i need knobs, and such for the 'control' section.
I'm wondering if any of you have experience with this particular deck?
How it goes with say a KC preamp (really, really WANT one)!
Or an Eros.
Time to pack uo the Nagra...
And possibly the PR99...
I'm FINALLY almost there! The only thing standing between me and those lovely, amazing 15ips tapes is a 12 cent switch!!
Fingers firmly crossed.
Harv

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Congratulations!

My fingers are crossed for you as well. Good luck.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Whew!!! Ok, popped one of my old factory 2 tracks (petrushka-firebird, stravinsky) on the Sony and lo and behold--- action!!!
Very very solid transport mechanism here, dual capstan, very solid, the revox pr99 feels like a cheap toy in comparison (don't say it)!
However..... The sound wasn't very well defined... I looked at the 2track/4track playback selector switch, and it was pushed in, crooked, beat up. A couple of wiggles and i quickly realized there's something not right there.
Of course the heads all run directly into a 12 cent switch(!) which is affixed to a tiny sony circuit board, if course, lifted traces galore, and such.
After a quick 'repair' of the switch and some jumpers on the board, im left with action in the R channel, and Nada in the left channel.... VU action mirrors this.
As i fiddle with the switch, it becomes clear that the switch itself needs replacing.... So.... The question is: Do i take the crappy switch out of the path altogether?
I really, really want that 4 track capability..... However, most of my fave 4 tracks can be procured in the 2 track 15ips format, and hey, i could always dub the ones that aren't..... Sigh.
Anyhoo... I've 'walked away' for the time being.
She looks a lot better, the facing is easily removable, so I've painted it hammertone silver, it's beginning to look sharp, now i need knobs, and such for the 'control' section.
I'm wondering if any of you have experience with this particular deck?
How it goes with say a KC preamp (really, really WANT one)!
Or an Eros.
Time to pack uo the Nagra...
And possibly the PR99...
I'm FINALLY almost there! The only thing standing between me and those lovely, amazing 15ips tapes is a 12 cent switch!!
Fingers firmly crossed.
Harv

Did you clean or demag the heads?

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Cleaned and demagnetized the heads before putting my tape thru.. And none of my 'Nos' 10" tapes are going NEAR this puppy.. (learned about sss the hard way...)
Ive found the service manual, so i can attempt a rebuild on that switch today ...

Hxt1

Nov 28, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
UPDATE:: Ok, Painted the beaten half to death faceplate hammertone silver, looking for a stencil or font kit for it now, and I will fabricate a headstack cover.
Curt Palme Went thru the deck and got it back in fighting form! Beautiful, BUT, the 2 track head is definitely in need of some TLC, John French has confirmed that he can indeed bring it back to life, sooooo.... off to JRF it goes! I will send Both heads, and report back when she's back together!
Just putting this out there: does anyone here have or know where to find knobs for this machine or knobs that fit this machine? I'm two knobs and a headstack cover away from having a 'restored' 766-2! (I can fabricate the sides and rear cover in 'the shop')!!:):D:D
Finally! light at the end of the 2 track 15ips tunnel!!!!!! YAYYYY!!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing