Creating a Audio Dartboard

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
...2. Another update: Science has figured out why Strads sound the way they do according to this article.

Sorry, but this article hardly constitutes proof. It merely presents measurements and then speculates that the correlated differences are responsible for the difference in sound. It couches its suppositions tentatively rather than conclusively.

tonmeister2008

WBF Technical Expert
Jun 20, 2010
Westlake Village,CA
OK so I propose that no one over the age of 20 should be involved in designing speakers or listening to high end audio gear. That solves that problem.

Pardon me. Vision is the dominant sense is news? Think you've discovered something new? Try standing on one leg, then closing your eyes and standing on one leg. Bet you'll fall over! Ruskies showed us this half century or more ago.

You don't have to possess perfect hearing to design loudspeakers or enjoy music. I didn't say that, you did.

One of our best speaker engineers is in his 60's and is approaching retirement. He can get his loudspeakers to sound great because he is a very talented, experienced engineer and he has access to probably the industry's best loudspeaker testing facilities in the world. He can get his designs 90% optimized based on objective measurements alone. The final 10% is done based on listening, which he does along with carefully selected and trained listeners who do have normal hearing. Why would Harman spend a million dollars on an anechoic chamber equipped with sensitive calibrated B&K laboratory microphones, another few million dollars on dedicated listening rooms with speaker movers- and then completely ignore the final measurement device - the human ear - and not check to see if it is properly working and calibrated?

Floyd Toole in his book "Sound Reproduction" argues that consumers put too much faith in audio reviewer's opinions when we have no knowledge of their qualifications in terms of hearing and critical listening abilities, two qualifications that can be measured and quantified in terms of performance.

When I said vision is a more dominant sense I was referring to it relative to hearing. What you describe is our equilibrioception sense which is considered a separate sense from hearing. Are you arguing that vision is not the dominant sense? From what I've read eighty to eighty five percent of our perception, learning, cognition and activities are mediated through vision.

So, no, it's not news that vision is the dominant sense, but in your original post you said you didn't understand why people trust their vision but not their ears. There are good reasons why that is the case, which hopefully I explained.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing