H J s system !

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fantastic! Look forward to finished product!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
thanks, here a pic of the filterplates which will be bolted to the bottom of the housing inside, after X- over values are established (No fine tuning by ear at Andromeda ,sorry , okay then, at least not above 300 hz :D ) , and my own decoupling design , stainless steel with M 8 thread , its based on a ballbearing arrangement (not shown ) .
Key words are low contact area plus maximum stability /rigidity , the device absorbs any angle pressure which is put on the device , I call it Soundlock , the adjustment thread which sticks out is not stainless but that will be replaced by stainless , it also has a large contact area with the speaker itself, its not possible to place a " rubber insert " as with the cerabase , they are very heavy devices

DSC_0117 by andromeda61, on Flickr

DSC_0118 by andromeda61, on Flickr

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
connectors from cardas , solid milled copper with a "golden" anti corrosive layer , the connectors outer shape falls for half of its part within the housing so it can never turn even if you turn the fasteners to tight.
the 70 mm wide cerabase device makes hardly an imprint on softer floors like solid wood , besides that each feet can be adjusted

DSC_0120 by andromeda61, on Flickr

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
DSC_0121 by andromeda61, on Flickr
here is a pic of how the mtm is gonna look like probably i am still testing the ringradiator soft dome versus soft dome version the main differnce between them is efficiency the soft dome is more efficient , it took a while but i was occupied with other things , after a day burn in with at first horrible sound its now taking shape , there is no substitute for non resonant housings , total enjoyable focused relaxed listening :D i ll change the bolts for black ones later on

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great stuff!!! Please take full photo when you can...congrats and look forward to reading more.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
When the woofer section is ready i ll make a pic , for the coming 2 weeks i only listen to the closed mtms to get a better idea for what the woofers actually add to the overal performance

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
In this model ive selected units and tweeters that can be used together without resistor circuitry for efficiencyadjustment , all to possibly up system resolution .
After 4 days listening it sounds awesome even without the woofers the soundstage is high/wide deep and natural which was also a designfeature , another reason is that i might develop a mtm standalone design or a mtm +
also made of hpl but with thinner walls .
Its already a big speakersound the radiation pattern of the speaker is a big step ahead , the sound is coming from a dead solid background and the image is higher then i ever designed before the tweeter is above ear level as is offcourse the upper mid , the noisefloor of the system is virtually non existent , dynamics are also on another level
The speaker also passed the 8 watt zanden test , it plays perfect with that power no need for more , i m curious what the soundpressure will be with the woofers added

Filtering is KISS keep it simple stupid, but you need LS units that can handle that , so gentle roll offs are required , another reason not to use hard membranes with possibly "aggresive cone break ups" beyond X over points but still audible

In this model ive thrown all the former hifi cliches overboard regarding units coils and caps i spent only where it hurts i just go for the best sounding whether it be cheap or expensive this is AA design :D
DSC_0122 by andromeda61, on Flickr

DSC_0123 by andromeda61, on Flickr

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Tapping the metal inserts free of paint residu , for woofer install next week , after listening to the XPE mtm for quite a while now everything settled as a whole , this is the highest (or one of the highest ) resolution systems ive ever had the pleasure to listen to .

DSC_0124 by andromeda61, on Flickr

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Well its time for a zanden review , the review is based on the zanden alone not with the cat driving it, it is used with the sophia electric royal princess tube 1000 euro pair considered one off the best , the takatsuki possibly bettering it at 1800 euro retail :

I was a bit afraid how well it would drive the speakers , but the zanden SET 300 B came along for a reasonable price from a person who lived in amsterdam , so i thought i give it a try .
Plus :
most obvious is more transparency and detail , it is said SET s are detailchamps and that is very true compared to the cat /krell/hawk amp .
Bass , believe it or not bass has improved , it has more weight /aplomb it is fuller and more defined , it fills the room with low freq more so than the krell, especially with organ or orchestra music , most movies as well , although gunshots(heat ) sound a bit more fierce/snappy with krell.
Voices and music on cd and musicaldetailsoveral are on another level , the feeling of reality has much improved
sense of space has improved and the soundstage became bigger
I think its been a logical upgrade and a good learningexperience .
I probably would state from now on that tubebass is better than SS
Headroom is enough but that is all , i usually listen to cd s at vol 12 or 1 oclock and movies at 3 oclock so i have some headroom left although its not that much but no problem there .
There is absolutely no sign of compression when driven with volume fully open , no smearing or harshness just pure clear sound
The person whom i bought it from said he never heard the zanden better , he heard it on tannoy and audio note speakers :D
He himself listened usually with AKG K1000 headphones

neg :
I am afraid i will have to buy the zanden 1200 phono as well in the future , the cat phono is now to noisy at listening volume and i think the zanden will deliver much more detail and transparency and overal sound quality .
I do know the legend is much more quit and has a step up transformer built inside for up to 58 db gain
The zanden 1200 has 2 gain outputs 1(high) is 68 db (probably more dynamic sounding then compared to the legend )
I do suspect a problem though , using my beloved decca carts on the zanden as it has a fixed loading of 4 ohm on the high gain output and a fixed 40 ohms loading on the low gain output , deccas need the 47 kohm loading to sound good and going lower reduces the soundlevel and doesnt sound nice , on the cat that is
The krells do sound a bit better with electronic music / house

Hi, I'm a bit late in reading the above post but I notice you are a fan of Decca cartridges.
I have long been tempted by them and now that I have a Townshend Rock V with its silicone damping the temptation is greater.
What deters me are the reviews which report all sorts of idiosyncracies on set up, tracking etc. The London Reference seems the least problematic but I would be interested in your views and practical experience if you could share them.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I found it not so hard to set up it tracked good at the recommended tracking weight , it sounds lively and has a " tape like " sounding quality about it at least thats what i thought , it does need a check up /readjustment after about a year .
i am more into analogue tape now ,playing LP s takes a lot of adjustment /care to sound right, from a technical point of view, tape is more my thing at the moment, ....and digital for convenience;)

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I found it not so hard to set up it tracked good at the recommended tracking weight , it sounds lively and has a " tape like " sounding quality about it at least thats what i thought , it does need a check up /readjustment after about a year .
i am more into analogue tape now ,playing LP s takes a lot of adjustment /care to sound right
Thanks.
Much appreciated

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow!! Way cool! Congrats!!! Now we need some listening notes! Can you also record your system and put it here?

Lloyd this is it , designed to compete with anything on the market regardless of price but roughly the same systemsize (membrane surface ).
i lll make a full wooferreport in a couple of weeks :D

DSC_0128 by andromeda61

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I will do that in the not so distant future , it sounds awesome already , its a whole new sound expirience , most obvious is the uncanny decay of notes , hearing the snap/ decay of for example a xylofoon being hit is unbelievable almost , image stabilty is perfect now as well
Woofer integration is already very good from the start after little x over tuning , it goes clean and deep it carries the soundexpirience to a complete level , i think i made a very good choice to go with sidefiring woofers first there is a practical advantage secondly it appears the soundstage and low freqs are more disconnected from the housing this way , there is a massive soundstage build up between and behind the speakers
Furthermore this scanspeak illuminator soft dome tweeter is the highest resolving tweeter i have ever used in a model , the housing has added to the qualities but still

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I will do that in the not so distant future , it sounds awesome already , its a whole new sound expirience , most obvious is the uncanny decay of notes , hearing the snap/ decay of for example a xylofoon being hit is unbelievable almost , image stabilty is perfect now as well
Woofer integration is already very good from the start after little x over tuning , it goes clean and deep it carries the soundexpirience to a complete level , i think i made a very good choice to go with sidefiring woofers first there is a practical advantage secondly it appears the soundstage and low freqs are more disconnected from the housing this way , there is a massive soundstage build up between and behind the speakers
Furthermore this scanspeak illuminator soft dome tweeter is the highest resolving tweeter i have ever used in a model , the housing has added to the qualities but still

Great stuff...look forward to 'hearing' them when you get a chance to post!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
these are with your new speakers? Wow...sounds great!!!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I agree.....sounds really good!!!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Thanks ,yes its the XPE loudspeakers playing on the zanden 300 B ( with a cheap non audiofile dvd player) i m gonna buy a high quality sacd player in the future though .
Ive got some high res organ music a s well sounds very good with the new system , i must say this new speakersystem makes cd s more interesting /enjoyable.
I am also gonna record some" audiofile" termignioni ducati exhaust sound in the near future:p

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing