H J s system !

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Finally the winner of my tweeter contest is the scanspeak illuminator ringradiator , this tw just doesnt atract attention to itself at all , the most i am not there tw i ve used .
By the way i now use clio measuringequipment , not kirchner , i wouldnt call kirchner a easy plug and play tool to be honest :(

DSC_0439 by andromeda61, on Flickr

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think next on my buy list is a solid state pre amplifier.
Preferably a Mark levinson 32 or 326 S as secondchoice , and build a balanced solid state system besides a single ended tubesystem , balanced works good with the tapemachines as well
With 33H power amps or something comparable from levinson/ Old skool

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
This is looking really good!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I listened to the halcro DM 68 yesterday on raidho D3,1 i think it was (not in the pic), my plan is still to have a Solid state system besides the tubes , i really like the halcros heard them on 3 occasions now and this is a beautifull black pair , but to swap for my CAT jl2 sign hmm not sure .
Mark levinson 32 , halcro monos and levinson 33 /h thats about it , .... yeah boulder 3050 :D but to much $$$
Further plan is to develop a non resonant high quality gorgious looking(wooden inlays ) HPL passive subwoofer with a 91 db efficiency.

Comments on the raidho , sounded much better then the ones i heard years ago now on the halcros , i think raidho uses aluminium housings as well , i still think HPL is better no need to change after hearing raidho and magico , better transientresponse and emerging from a blacker back ground with my own designs :D , ultimate bass authority wasnt there with the raidho , but what was there sounded good apart from some hum on some music , but that could be the room - music as well not sure

halcro dm 58 by andromeda61, on Flickr

Last edited:

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
That is indeed a very impressive Setup--Kudos! My experience however with Halcros does not measure yours--I found them too clinical and overly etched --fatiguing long term listening

as I think lauded at the time--best measuring ever-- but poor sounding :( not my cuppa sorry

BruceD

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yeah most people seem to say that , heard them control maxx 2 s oh man just frightening bass control loved it;)
if id buy a speaker it would be maxx 2 s , reasonable price and real big wilson sound , but to each his own :)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I listened about 40 minutes to a variety of music , not on familiar speakers / room so that makes it hard , but when we listened to nils lofgren and the way the plectrum hits the strings with the amps is very lifelike to me .
The amps control the LS units by iron fist , just like they should imo , what most systems lack compared to the real thing is dynamics and and that is a very strong point of the halcros.
Further you can always juice the sound to your liking with pre amps tube or ss , but the dynamic potential is there.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Some pics of the room and recorders Studer A 80 telefunken M 15 A and Studer B 62 on which the Meitner MA 2 is situated , above that a dvd player which is connected to the meitner via a toslink cable
Further more a special legend edition of the CAT ultimate Mk 2, which has been checked and yes the phonostage is quit , NOS philips tubes in the line stage , poweramp CAT JL 2 sign (KT 120 )
After all those years of tinkering and building i finally have a system
On the pic you can see that the original micro switches are replacd by shorter ones on the CAT , i had a accident and i broke one off now i have them replaced by all new short switches which dont stick out so much , i like it better :D
You can also see that the telefunken /console is about 10 cm higher then the studer with console which is to low for me i am 1,85 m

DSC04940 by andromeda61, on Flickr

DSC04939 by andromeda61, on Flickr

DSC04938 by andromeda61, on Flickr

Last edited:

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I turned the light on:D

Attachments

• 31397200830_34ab26fba1_o.jpg
    31397200830_34ab26fba1_o.jpg
    783.7 KB · Views: 184

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I listened to the halcro DM 68 yesterday on raidho D3,1 i think it was (not in the pic), my plan is still to have a Solid state system besides the tubes , i really like the halcros heard them on 3 occasions now and this is a beautifull black pair , but to swap for my CAT jl2 sign hmm not sure .
Mark levinson 32 , halcro monos and levinson 33 /h thats about it , .... yeah boulder 3050 :D but to much $$$
Further plan is to develop a non resonant high quality gorgious looking(wooden inlays ) HPL passive subwoofer with a 91 db efficiency.

Comments on the raidho , sounded much better then the ones i heard years ago now on the halcros , i think raidho uses aluminium housings as well , i still think HPL is better no need to change after hearing raidho and magico , better transientresponse and emerging from a blacker back ground with my own designs :D , ultimate bass authority wasnt there with the raidho , but what was there sounded good apart from some hum on some music , but that could be the room - music as well not sure

halcro dm 58 by andromeda61, on Flickr

Hi which TT is that?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
No this pic is from a hifi shop in amsterdam , i visited him because i am interested in the halcro DM 68 , the shop is called A 10 audio .

My system is the dark picture :) with the tape machines

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
By the way if you re ever in amsterdam , you re welcome if you like to listen to the system , seems you have a lot of reference knowledge :D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
By the way if you re ever in amsterdam , you re welcome if you like to listen to the system , seems you have a lot of reference knowledge :D

Thanks will do - I am a compare freak (just an OCD, can't help it), so if you get some carts, phonos, or whatever to compare from audiophile neighbors, I will be there in a flash.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing