Forum To Be Temporarily Down For Updates

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Both myself and Amir as well as the rest of our administrative team have been staggered by how busy WBF has gotten recently. To that extent an update of our current version of vBulletin is scheduled for sometime later today which will result in the forum being temporarily closed until the update is complete. I have been told that it should take no longer than one hour to complete. Hopefully the update will go without a hitch but often times glitches are found. We will endeavor to immediately correct these as they are found. Sometimes these glitches can temporarily disrupt smooth flow of the forum until resolved.

I would request that all problems (if any) noted by members be directed to either myself or Amir so that we can look to resolve these

We are many iterations behind current and will be upgrading from version 4.0.2 to 4.2. You will notice many sensational new features once the update is complete

Thanks again to everyone for helping to make WBF the fastest growing site of its kind on the internet. We could not have achieved this without everyone's support

Steve Williams

Upgrades are completed. Initial observation is that the icons on the home page are crowding the topic of each forum and this can easily be fixed.

Stay tuned but please let me or Amir know if you find any other problems

Also enjoy all of the new features of the upgrade

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Wow, a brand new day today!

So far, so good?; too many new frontiers without the classic (golden) touch of yesterday; blue.
Design presentation in some specific areas are less than stellar. Like when posting for example.

* But give me till the end of the day for precise allocation, and fair assessment.
& I'm sure you guys need some more time as well.

** I see some new toys; gotto experiment with some of them ... :b

*** Always fun to play with the NEW.

EDIT: It all starts to make sense now. And I can see that few things are still being worked on.
Also, I see a yellow rectangle that says [Auto-Saved]. ...That could be useful no? :b
=> ...Bottom right when posting or editing, and popping up at regular time intervals.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

FYI - the "Mark forums read" function no longer seems to work.

This has been fixed as Amir stated but I wanted to bring to everyone's attention the fact that version 4.2 is laden full of new features as well as changes in the old ones.

Pushing the "What's New" button will show what is called an activity stream showing recent activity with all posts. To see what you are accustomed to seeing when you push this button, I suggest that you click on "new Posts" button in the line just below

Steve Williams

One other thing to mention as I have been waiting to see if Bob noticed. Specifically (as we anticipated) we lost our newly constructed emoticons however Amir is working to get them reconstructed. I promise they'll be back up soon Bob. :)

Notice that the old emoticons are still there and can be used in the interim

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
As with every change, I'll need some time to get used.
Anyway, the biggest thing that I've noticed is how the "what's new?" page (which is the tool I use most) changed. To me, it's a little "heavy" to be read, as the focus switched from the name of the thread to the author of the reply. Also, if there's 5 or so different replies to the same thread, they're all highlighted on the page, rather than be represented only by the latest addition.

But, again, I'll get used... :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
As with every change, I'll need some time to get used.
Anyway, the biggest thing that I've noticed is how the "what's new?" page (which is the tool I use most) changed. To me, it's a little "heavy" to be read, as the focus switched from the name of the thread to the author of the reply. Also, if there's 5 or so different replies to the same thread, they're all highlighted on the page, rather than be represented only by the latest addition.

But, again, I'll get used... :)
As Steve noted, the old view is still there under "New Posts." You don't even need to click on What's New. Just click on New Posts and you get the old view.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm liking the new changes. Well done and thanks for the upgrade.;):)

One thing that I would really like to see added is a SPOILER tag. It allows you to wrap text, videos, pics, etc. without taking up space in a post, unless one clicks on the "SPOILER".

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
One thing that I would really like to see added is a SPOILER tag. It allows you to wrap text, videos, pics, etc. without taking up space in a post, unless one clicks on the "SPOILER".
Unfortunately that is not a standard feature of the forum software. There are hacks/plug-ins to do it but they tend to break with upgrades. I will see if I can put it in at some point as I agree it is a useful thing to have.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
---By the way, the "Color block" is incomplete (the bottom line).

* Is June 2012 a new trend? ...Blu-ray Forum was having a server change just recently,
and AVS Forum has a new face. The Internet is becoming more competitive with more and better
new stuff coming up down the pipeline almost every day. And Facebook is fading away,
facing the inevitable! :eek: :D

Only the news remain the same: Syria (crimes against the humanity every single day),
Pennsylvania (the start of the big court case against that child molestor),
Montreal (students' protests every single day),
British empire (2012 Games),
Los Angeles (Stanley Cup 2012 Winner),
Soccer games ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Or perhaps it is just the new style Steve. All the blocks from the bottom line are quasi all white,
but I think it's the way they are supposed to look like.

And anyway, texts are supplemented for their color's description (I'm good with that).

* But then, as a Bonus, we now have much more colors to choose from; and that is real cool.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

=> Now, lets get more female members around here. :b

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing