Mytek 192 DSD vs Playback Designs MPD3

Zugisland

Jun 12, 2012
ok guys help me out with this shootout , I have been demoing the Myrtek in my home for a week now and have had also had the PBD mpd3 also . My orifginal impression with the mytek after a 100 hoyrs of burn in are that 1st DSD works flawlessly and also sounds specatacular but my normal pcm files fed thru usb via computer Jriver and or coax via Squeexetouch were somewhat less compelling ,
The vocals on many songs seem to be bloated and not nearly as pristine as the PBD and certain rock passages also seem to be muddy and noisy as well. I will wait another week and hope addtional burn changes the mix so that it shines playing these files as well as it does DSD . If not I will turn back to PBD> where I did get a unit but also had issues with lsome sort of defect in thier piiece as bad hissing and 60kz ocialtion noises where emanting from it when no nothing was being played thru it . Will be interested to hear back from them as to the diagnosis . In any event so far a bit disapointing with both . ANy comments would be aprreciated ..thanks Vic

Zugisland

Jun 12, 2012
SAteve

Tanks for the input, I know the mpd5 is double the cost but i thought i was ghetting good price performance with the mpd3. HAvind said that i had a demo unit in my system that did work flawless and was shocked when i made the purchase as to the issue. I am hopeing to hear from Jonathan this week as to the issue on that unit as Andreas has been out in Europe till this week . That is when i found a local dealer with a 14 day return policy ( pro audio shop) with a Mytek unti so thought id give it a try ..for 1500 bucks had to take a shot..V

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
My orifginal impression with the mytek after a 100 hoyrs of burn in are that 1st DSD works flawlessly and also sounds specatacular but my normal pcm files fed thru usb via computer Jriver and or coax via Squeexetouch were somewhat less compelling ,
ANy comments would be aprreciated ..thanks Vic

Hi Vic,

I've earnestly been researching DSD recorders, of late. It's my understanding when there is conversion between some digital formats, DSD<-->PCM, that sonics take a hit. I'm uncertain if that's what you're experiencing :confused:

bitstream

Jul 4, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
Ditto........

Bruce, Steve - which digital input(s) do you prefer?

I've only heard my PD MPD-3 with the included, garden-variety USB cable. Debating whether to upgrade the latter (intrigued with Acoustic Revive, which separates power and signal) or try a USB to AES converter e.g. Audiophilleo.

Thank and regards,
Brian

P.S. Off-topic here, but I'm thrilled with my new Triode Wire Labs power cables. Pete makes one for the Mac too.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
I have the Sonoma going DSD in to the ST-optical inputs and a Sequoia going into the AES/EBU inputs.

Bruce, will the sonoma work with the new emm lab tsdx/dac2x, like it used to work with the tsd1/dac2?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce, will the sonoma work with the new emm lab tsdx/dac2x, like it used to work with the tsd1/dac2?

I don't know. I had to change the data protocol in the menu of the MPS-5 to use it on the Sonoma. I think there are 2 different protocols that are used. It will probably work though.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
I don't know. I had to change the data protocol in the menu of the MPS-5 to use it on the Sonoma. I think there are 2 different protocols that are used. It will probably work though.

Huh? Sounds very complicated.... :confused:

Can you recommend a better fibre optic cable than the orange color rubber band that emm lab supply with their products?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Huh? Sounds very complicated.... :confused:

Can you recommend a better fibre optic cable than the orange color rubber band that emm lab supply with their products?

The orange cables are all that I've used. You can pick them up at Fry's really cheap. Think I got a 50ft. cable for $20

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
The orange cables are all that I've used. You can pick them up at Fry's really cheap. Think I got a 50ft. cable for $20

I don't want cheap. I want to spend some money! If it is gonna make some difference, of course. :D
But I still am interested to obtain some of those orange rubber bands and make a shorter cable.

Bruce, a question: if a dac is touted to be totally immuned to jitter, does it show up sonic differences when different fibre optic cables are used, or it is not supposed to exhibit any sonic differences at all?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I don't want cheap. I want to spend some money! Bruce, a question: if a dac is touted to be totally immuned to jitter, does it show up sonic differences when different fibre optic cables are used, or it is not supposed to exhibit any sonic differences at all?

I haven't seen it. I've used every fibre cable known and they either work or they don't with no sonic differences.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Hi Bruce

Can you help me pin-point the exact product page on FRY's for a 5-meter length of optical fiber cable that can be used with the Meitner TSDX/DAC2X?

TIA!

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Oh, thank you very much! :D

They don't ship overseas? I'll have to get a friend to order it on my behalf....

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Hi Bruce

Some further questions if I may.....

This cable is listed as A "duplex". And pictures show 2 fiber optic strand running side by side.
Does it mean that both strand need to be used together for the equipments at opposite ends to work together?
The equipment at both ends each need to have duo ST terminals?

The emm lab TSDX transport and dac2x only have 1 ST fiber optic terminal each.

648FC227.jpg

Also, the whitish fiber cable exposed at the tip of the terminal looks like some sort of a t-shape.
Is it just a protective cap, or is it the cable itself?
Will it fit into the ST fiber optic terminal of the Emmy equipments?

And what does Multimode 62.5/125 means?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing