What's the concensus on the World’s First 3D 4K Home Theater Projector?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
A few things:

1. There is no prospect of commercial content becoming available in 4K. So the only content is at quarter resolution 1080p.

2. With 1080p content, the *only* value that a 4K projector has is to reduce visible pixel structure. If from where you are sitting you can see the individual pixels, then this projector can help. Almost no one sits this close to their TV so for all practical reasons, this is not of much value.

3. This is a rather bright projector (as it should for $25K) so in that regard, it is a good unit to light good sized screen.

4. Surprisingly, the projector lacks appropriate controls to calibrate its colors. With displays at 10% its cost with such controls, it is a surprising omission.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I saw one being sold for 15K and thought about getting it, but the throw length isn't right for my room and it would probably burn a hole in my wall with the brightness. It will accept 4k native media, but some of the reports are that the upscaling to 4k from 1080 is pretty darn nice and the advantages can be seen, even on smaller screens. Seeing the 4k Sony projectors in the local movie theaters is very impressive to my eye, very nice combo of blacks, color, sharpness yet with cinematic film like quality that pretty much puts CRT finally to bed. The theaters are probably using 4k material, though, of course on large screens.
Cinephiles are spending a lot more than 25K for what seems like a lot less projector, but I suppose the ability to calibrate is always demanded at this price point.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing