Analog Tape alive and well in Florence, Italy

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Looked high and low for a decent Hi-Fi store with tapes in Italy and found this one:

I tried to stop the tour bus and go inside to see if what seems to be a TEAC X-1000R is in proper calibrations but wife wouldn't let me go...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Isn't that grounds for divorce?

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Mark,

I was thinking closer to reminding her; "wife beating was a common practice in seventh century Arabia" for irritating husband... I can say that since we have a new couch in the house.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Mark,

I was thinking closer to reminding her; "wife beating was a common practice in seventh century Arabia" for irritating husband... I can say that since we have a new couch in the house.
Ki
I watch a lot Korean history TV drama that woman near say no to her master, I think you are very luck at that point
tony ma

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Ki
I watch a lot Korean history TV drama that woman near say no to her master, I think you are very luck at that point
tony ma

Tony, that was few hundred years ago! ;)
Yes, i am still lucky to have a wife who would help load two Studer A80RCs into a Toyota Prius and ride with me for several hours.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mark,

Now that's funny Ki!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Yes, i am still lucky to have a wife who would help load two Studer A80RCs into a Toyota Prius and ride with me for several hours.

Forget about the wife.... I'd love to know how you got 2 Studer A80RC machines into a Prius?? :confused:

I can only get 1 in my SUV!!

jdza

May 3, 2010
Forget about the wife.... I'd love to know how you got 2 Studer A80RC machines into a Prius?? :confused:

I wonder what an A80 will sound like if run off the battery pack of a Prius? Maybe Ki can try it when his wife is not looking?

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area

Once again beauty of Studer design allowed me to disassemble by removing just six 4mm bolts to have separate VU meterbridge, main transport, transport case, and the stand sections. The stand was further dissembled by removing the center cross bar with four more bolts. The main transports were stood up in their cases along with the VU meterbridges. The stand sections were stacked up. Other than Prius' 27" ceiling height limitations, wife could have loaded one more A80RC into the car. ;) She got a new purse out of the deal.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
I wonder what an A80 will sound like if run off the battery pack of a Prius? Maybe Ki can try it when his wife is not looking?

It's an excellent idea. Matter of fact, I have all the parts including the card cage to build an audio section of A80RC. However I would need DC to DC converter to get final +/-12VDC to power the audio cards (or carry two car 12V batteries in the car).

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
It's an excellent idea. Matter of fact, I have all the parts including the card cage to build an audio section of A80RC. However I would need DC to DC converter to get final +/-12VDC to power the audio cards (or carry two car 12V batteries in the car).
+/- 12v only for the audio amp, how about the transport of A80 ? you need a DC to AC for both but how can you to set the reels when you are in driving ? you still need your wife with you to do that
tony ma

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Lack of courage Ki !! :)

I did stop the bus while spotting the Harmonia Mundi music store at Paris when the wife and I were on a tour (we could always catch the next one:) ) - we stayed there for 90 minutes or so but faced the consequences later at Galeries Lafayette!

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Lack of courage Ki !! :)

I did stop the bus while spotting the Harmonia Mundi music store at Paris when the wife and I were on a tour (we could always catch the next one:) ) - we stayed there for 90 minutes or so but faced the consequences later at Galeries Lafayette!

I must defend myself... the bus was moving at pretty high speed when I spotted the R2R machine in the store window. I snapped couple of photos including the one in the beginning of the post... guess I could have jumped out of the moving bus like in the movies... ;)

Oh well, you too are a lucky man, Fernando - although she would drag me into a shoe store for 90 min but my wife will never suffer 90 min in audio stores...

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
+/- 12v only for the audio amp, how about the transport of A80 ? you need a DC to AC for both but how can you to set the reels when you are in driving ? you still need your wife with you to do that
tony ma

Tony, I was thinking to use one of the two battery powered Nagra IV-S' as a transport. :)

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Once again beauty of Studer design allowed me to disassemble by removing just six 4mm bolts to have separate VU meterbridge, main transport, transport case, and the stand sections. The stand was further dissembled by removing the center cross bar with four more bolts. The main transports were stood up in their cases along with the VU meterbridges. The stand sections were stacked up.

Got pics :confused: :D

Other than Prius' 27" ceiling height limitations, wife could have loaded one more A80RC into the car. ;) She got a new purse out of the deal.

Voila :cool: And there -- you have it :D
We all gotta pay a price...LOL
;)

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Hi Sam:

Should have taken some photos of the sight...and not to mention having the Studer A820 with just the stand removed and hauled in the same Prius at the start of my madness... Someday, when I get bored, I will re-stage the events.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hi Sam:

Should have taken some photos of the sight...and not to mention having the Studer A820 with just the stand removed and hauled in the same Prius at the start of my madness... Someday, when I get bored, I will re-stage the events.

If you do that, might as well make it worth your while. I'm only 15 minutes away!

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Hi Sam:

If you do that, might as well make it worth your while. I'm only 15 minutes away!

Hmm...if we can synchronize Ki's reprise of epic logistical prowess with the arrival of Mike's MM7 with Sonny's and my summer respite, then a road trip is in order ;)

Seriously, it would be great to see all of you -- Ki, Bruce, Mike, and Mikel in B.C.! I hope I can manage it :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing