Which amp or amps are darTZeel owners using with their NHB-18NS preamp

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thinking about trying a CJ GAT with the nhb-108, would the 18ns be better?

Hi Joe,

I am enthralled with the GAT...it has, as you may know, a friendly output impedance which should allow it to match with a variety of amps, and also allow for longer cable runs. It is my fav preamp though matching is so important and while i have heard the 18ns, i have not heard it in my system.

For some reason, i seem to read a lot of owners sticking with DTZ on both pre and amp (somehow it seems more so than other brands?...just an impression). That said, GAT is my fav preamp of the ones i have heard (Ref 5, Krell Evo2, MBL Ref, CJ ACT 2, Shindo Massetto, and a variety of others). Happy to speak off-line if you wish. Also know another fellow owner GAT owner who is on this site and others and very, very knowledgeable and helpful.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Joe,

I am enthralled with the GAT...it has, as you may know, a friendly output impedance which should allow it to match with a variety of amps, and also allow for longer cable runs. It is my fav preamp though matching is so important and while i have heard the 18ns, i have not heard it in my system.

For some reason, i seem to read a lot of owners sticking with DTZ on both pre and amp (somehow it seems more so than other brands?...just an impression). That said, GAT is my fav preamp of the ones i have heard (Ref 5, Krell Evo2, MBL Ref, CJ ACT 2, Shindo Massetto, and a variety of others). Happy to speak off-line if you wish. Also know another fellow owner GAT owner who is on this site and others and very, very knowledgeable and helpful.

Hi lloydelee21,

Thanks! I appreciate the advice. The GAT is one preamp I lust after. I have noticed most Dart owners seem to keep within the family. What amp do you use with your GAT?

Joe

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Joe,

I run the GAT (which i was fortunate to find at a demo price) with a Gryphon Colosseum (second hand). The Gryphon is a pure SS Class A dual-mono. Doubtless many will say that the Gryphon Mirage Preamp or (the coming) Pandora preamp are ideal matches. But i will say that having originally run CJ ACT 2 with Gryphon Antileon, i am very blessed to be able to run GAT and Colosseum and have no desire to make any changes...in fact, i think having kept the exact same set up (CJ to Gryphon), it says something about how CJ runs with SS amps (to me, anyway).

As for Dartzeel...seems like you've noticed the same thing about people 'staying in the family'. Impedance? Something in the design?

Pls post if you hear the GAT...i stand by my favorite preamp, but i also acknowledge that Dartzeel has something about it that seems to do much better with its own brethern equipment. Would be interesting to hear your impressions.

BTW, nice list of equipment! Burmester is serious stuff!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi lloydelee21,

Thank you. I had a CJ ET-5 and sold it with the intention of moving up to the GAT but have gotten a little side-tracked. So I know of what you talk :) There is something special about CJ that I can't/don't want to get away from. As good as everything else I've heard sounds, I need to have Conrad Johnson, so it's just a matter of time ;)

I think the thing with Dartzeel is the 50 ohm Zeel connector that seems to take it up to another level in sound quality without the cables costing an arm and a leg. So I guess that's a good thing.

Gryphon seem to have a loyal following, I've never heard it but it must be really nice as well.

Joe

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi lloydelee21, I had a CJ ET-5 and sold it with the intention of moving up to the GAT...:) There is something special about CJ that I can't/don't want to get away from. As good as everything else I've heard sounds, I need to have Conrad Johnson, so it's just a matter of time ;)

I think the thing with Dartzeel is the 50 ohm Zeel connector that seems to take it up to another level in sound quality without the cables costing an arm and a leg. So I guess that's a good thing.

Gryphon seem to have a loyal following, I've never heard it but it must be really nice as well.

Joe

Ahhh...a fellow CJ person. Yes, i have used a CJ preamp for 12 straight years...PV14L, ACT 2 and now GAT. I have used Gryphon for going on 4-5 years now and still very loyal.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Don't know if it'll be better. It'll be different, for sure :D
Even though recent CJ gear is not as "tubey" as they once were, you're still dealing with tubes, and I see you haven't got any tubed gear in your setup. I think it's worth exploring, to see if you enjoy it. And mixing a little bit of tube into SS usually works, specially in the preamp.
That said, there *is* an advantage in pairing the DarTZeels in that you'd be able to use the "Zeel" link, a 50 ohm connection that matches the input/output impedances of both equipments. And I guess that's the reason why some of the magic happens within a DarTZeel system...

alexandre

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Alexandre,

I sold an ET-5 with the intention of getting a GAT but I think the synergy between both Dart pieces will be undeniable. I'll have to get the amp first and see how it sounds.

I do have a Conrad Johnson MV-60 amp I still use.

Joe

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hi guys, i'm considering the newest version of the NHB-18NS with phono stage but would also consider a non Dart amp to go with it.
The amp i'm looking at is the Dan D'agostino classic stereo amp which would be perfect to drive my difficult Thiel CS 3.7
My question is would there be a good synergy between the Dart preamp and the D'agostino amp ?
I did consider the NHB-108 amp but i'm afraid it might be too light to drive my speakers properly.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I Read here that some people still regard the ml 432 as a very good amp , i share the same view.
As the noise floor of the new appartement is Nice and low its also not immune to some Neighbour noise you gotta keep the listening level moderate.
Im currently listening to my small SS amp, although the cat is An extremely good dynamic amp IT also raises the noisefloor a bit which can be annoying.
So to make a long story short what does the 108 do better then the old levinson model .
I ve tried already krell EVO 400 and Boulder 1060 plus ml 431 which i liked also.

I liked also rons comments regarding it being a straight wire with gain, i intend to keep the cat pre which is dead quit.
I dont think i would be asking this question if i had a dedicated room and i could go full throthle with the Cat jl 2 sign

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
And regarding the pre amp ?
I might be auditioning a dart pre in the near future.
Only thing im very concerned of at forehand is the battery pack , i owned a nagra plp before and i found it very artifical /weak sounding dynamic wise.
The most in battery only mode but also direct.
Dont know about the dart i read something regarding batteries , its a mk 1 version.
Plus would a NHB 108 be a good start to try dartzeel , i know preamps usually " make "the sound of a brand..
I want to have an extra solidstate amp anyway , wattage aint a problem mine are an easy load.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing