The music we listen to.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
After contemplating the WAF thread, I asked my wife last night to come and take a listen to the wonderful Patricia Barber LP of The Cole Porter Mix. This time, the wife was agreeable to take a listen. After about thirty seconds, she says to me, this isn't my kind of music and although i can see she is impressed by the sound, she gets up and leaves.

I had noticed at THE SHOW newport that a similar thing occurred in one of the rooms that i visited....they were playing some heavy metal on very large speakers. The minute any visitors peaked into the room and heard this music, they made an abrupt exit.
My conclusion is that maybe us a'philes are typically listeners of jazz, some classical and blues and a little country...NO Hip Hop and not much metal, Pop or hard rock.

Problem for the hobby is that I believe many of the younger listeners are into Hip Hop and Pop ( my wife's favorite) vs. the above. Does our hobby have to appeal only to a certain type of music listener?:confused::confused:

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
I agree with Steve.
I actually mostly listen to rock...

I also think that, at the shows, the exhibitors should diversify a little more their tracklists. I f you go to an audioshow in Italy, half of the rooms will play Patricia Barber (which is good, I mean, but after too much you cannot tolerate her any more ;) ) and the song of the train from Rwanda (ok ok, I should know the artist... please forgive me), the other half Cantate Domino.

I remember with a smile when, once, an exhibitor started playing Back in Black by the AC/DC. One of the room visitors complained, so he replied, with an impressively heavy roman accent, "well, I cannot play little bells all day long!".

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Very few genres I don't enjoy if its performed well, even if sonics are not up to par. Now when performance and sonics are both on, that's a carrot to grab hold of.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think part of what being an audiophile is about is soundquality in general so i see a future whether it be hip hop or whatever music , whether it being a forrest recorded or a letter being posted in the mailbox (and recorded ) .
I listen to documentairies quit a lot, one of them is The Higgs : into the heart of imagination , at some stage peter higgs (higgs particle )walks through the city from his home to the mailbox ,you can hear the wind blowing the leaves moving , his steps on the sidewalk and eventually a letter beiing posted it gives me a thrill if a system can make it sound " virtually" indistinguisable from reality , it means you can travel a bit back in time :D
Same goes for child in time , whole lotta rosie , problem child , songs i like from childhood , its nice to improve soundquality on those same pieces although they are not high res .

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I am a heavy listener of heavy music (Tool, Alice in Chains, Perfect Circle, Sygur Ros, etc...) - but also enjoy and listen other genres, mostly Jazz, Blues and classical. My system is assambled to follow this route.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Any musical genre will appeal to certain type of people.

All is good as long as it rocks (jazzes, blueses, classes, worlds, ...) your boat. :b

Music is as complex as human emotions ....

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
One of my best memories of an audio show was walking into the Dartzel room several years ago to some Pink Floyd. What a relief that was to what everyone else was playing. I am a veteran cosmic rocker so I wish I heard more of it and usually bring some with me. I will listen to almost anything and give it a go. You never know what your next favorite song is going to be.

Rob:)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
---...And each and everyday is a brand new day,
and with it comes your most unexpected listening realizations.

Always be prepared to embrace your musical evolution, without any boundaries. :b
...Just let it flow freely into your own soul, inner self, inner ear, awe ....

Let It Be, Feel Free & At Ease ... With Yourself & the World Around You

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Diff strokes for diff folks on this subject. If I heard Pink Floyd I would run, run away. I would say I heard the Burmester cd in at least 10 rooms at the recent show. That compilation cd is a decade old---enough of Hugh Masekela. sheesh. can we move on?

On another forum, I was given crap for playing Alice in Chains at a show--- meanwhile people left and right were asking me who that was. One dealer tried to order a used copy of it that afternoon. LOL- one if not my favorite bands growing up in the early 90s and folks had not even heard about them.

Andrew Bird's "Break it Yourself" was a new guy I was put onto a few months back--really, really cool new stuff. It's unusual, fresh/modern, and stunning musicality-wise. We need to hear more of these newer artists at shows IMO.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Probably one of the best sounds I've ever heard at a show was at RMAF a couple years ago. There was a pair of Maxx3's with, I think, big Boulder amps in a big room. This young dude hands a CD to a couple of stuffy old curmudgeons and asks to play the first cut. The song starts out kind of' soft and builds up to a hard rock crescendo. The Artist/Song?? Concrete Blonde – “Bloodletting”. I immediately went on-line and bought the CD and have been playing it ever since.
I always try to have a variety when I DJ for a room. I can usually "read" an audience on what they want to hear.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Probably one of the best sounds I've ever heard at a show was at RMAF a couple years ago. There was a pair of Maxx3's with, I think, big Boulder amps in a big room. This young dude hands a CD to a couple of stuffy old curmudgeons and asks to play the first cut. The song starts out kind of' soft and builds up to a hard rock crescendo. The Artist/Song?? Concrete Blonde – “Bloodletting”. I immediately went on-line and bought the CD and have been playing it ever since.
I always try to have a variety when I DJ for a room. I can usually "read" an audience on what they want to hear.

-----Tres familiar with that CD; luv the songs "Caroline" (track #3) and "Joey" (track #9).

Also luv their original first album just prior to that one (1989); Free.

* By the way, that first cut ("Bloodletting") is also called "the Vampire song".

** Johnette Napolitano, band former and leader; Singer - songwriter/bassist, is big in my musical evolution. I like her A LOT. :b

Their music genre is Alternative Rock.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
---...Speaking of which: another big favorite of mine is Patti Smith, the "Godmother of Punk".

A fusion of Rock and Poetry. Got all her major releases.
And some of them I luv to death. ...Great bass too on some of them albums (CDs). :b

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
My wife is an old rocker and loves it when we get in tapes from the Doors, CCR and such.....

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I listen to everything. I'm pretty much an ignoramus when it comes to opera, except for the warhorses, and old school country and bluegrass, which I probably relegated to hicksville 30 years ago, now features more in my listening repetoire than it once did, perhaps because it is not as 'over-produced' and involves some incredible musicianship. Like alot of hi-fi bugs (I hate the term 'audiophile'), I am often confronted with the choice of the good recording of mediocre music and the killer musical performance on a less than stellar recording-and more and more, i come down on the side of music. i don't particularly like 'neo-soul,' but it has less to do with the music, per se, than with the overbearing use of auto-tune on female vocals; I have a hard time with alot of heavy use of synthesizers which came to the fore in the 80's (I'm not talking about Emerson, Lake and Palmer, i'm talking about bad Yamaha digital strings).
One of my absolute joys is to pull out very commercial stuff that was popular 10 or 20 or 30 years ago and hear it anew over a musical system. I'm really digging 'standard issue' records these days, rather than the 'audiophile spectaculars.' And, occasionally, when someone visits, it will floor them to hear something the've heard a million times, with real life to the instruments and voices.
And, I really, really like Led Zeppelin 1.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing