Totaldac Reference D1

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Hello,
The d1-twelve-mk3 (upgraded from d1-twelve-mk2) has been released and some reviews are posted here:

Reactions: CKKeung

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
and more feedback on this tread:
"I’ve been listening to the d1-12 mk3 tonight after having a little of over 200 hours since getting the mk3 upgrade back from Vincent.

All I can say Holy Crap! As good as the mk3 sounded straight out of the box, after 200 hours the mk3 sound quality has gained another non-diminishing return on aliveness/engagement.

Because the sonic changes are so beyond the stereotypical audiophile yada-yada descriptions, let me just say that the sound is just so naturally alive, that it justs draws you effortlessly into the music’s emotional energy. The music just grabs you! No inattentive listening possible here! .

But this is not a near field experience. The entire room is energized yet disappears…transported to the recording venue space.

Kudos Vincent!! Upgrading to the TotalDac d1-12 Mk3 is truly a no brainer!"

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Hello,
Here is a thread about the new Totaldac d1-switch feedback:

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Stereophile has released a review of the d1-unity in the December issue.

"Hearing it hanging between my speakers produced what my brain has assumed was a distinctly analog thrill.
The French DAC was allowing me to revel in one of the most fun illusions of reproduced music
-the realistic presence of voices and instruments- using a digital signal. This was cool!

... it does make music sound more unrestrained and physically believable than any digital front end I've heard
(save for Totaldac's top-of-the-line decoder, which I mentioned earlier)."

st.jpg

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Reactions: VPN and CKKeung

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
A new amplifier and the matching driver have just been released by Totaldac.

The Amp-1-sublime is the new Totaldac reference amplifier, using solid state components exclusively.
The triode stage used in the previous generation of Amp-1 is now upgraded by an innovating transistor gain stage, using very low component count (all discrete) and no global feedback.
A very high voltage (240Vdc) is used to give the maximum dynamic to the signal and its power supply is based on a discrete regulator as well.
The circuit uses 0.01% VAR Bulk Metal® Foil resistors from Vishay in the critical voltage gain stage.
The gain stage is then followed by an equally innovating and powerful transistor buffer, using no global feedback as well.
This design combines no global feedback, low noise, high gain (33dB), high bandwidth (400KHz) and high current (driving 1ohm) thanks to its 2500VA/25kg live-power transformer.
These characteristics produce a transparent, fast, live and natural sound without harshness and at the same time with punch and weight in bass.
The Amp-1-sublime amplifier is available as stereo amplifier with RCA inputs or as fully balanced monobloc with XLR input.
amplifier page: https://www.totaldac.com/amp-1-en.htm

A new d1-driver is also released to perfectly match the quality of this new amplifier.
The d1-driver-sublime has no volume control because it relies on the DAC volume control but in case the complete system gain is too high (DAC + amp + speakers + room) an analog -15.5dB attenuation can be activated using a switch at the back panel.
This attenuator uses 12 pieces of 0.01% VAR Bulk Metal® Foil resistors from Vishay.
In case the complete system misses some gain with some tracks recorded very low, the latest Totaldac DACs offer a +12dB digital gain option.
This 2 selectable gain in a Totaldac system allow to optimize all configurations.
driver page: https://www.totaldac.com/D1-driver-en.htm

totaldac-amp-1-sublime-inside.jpg

totaldac-d1-driver-sublime-inside.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: VPN and CKKeung

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing