Totaldac Reference D1

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
The name is somehow misleading. It is a digital preamp, with a reclocking feature.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The name is somehow misleading. It is a digital preamp, with a reclocking feature.

Not really. A preamp (digital or analog) has analog outputs. A digital preamp is basically a dac with volume control and possibly analog inputs (that may or may not do A/D conversion).

This is a digital reclocked / converter / volume control.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
What you are talking about is an analog preamp with a built in DAC. A different cathegory altogether. This is a digital preamp with digital inputs and outputs. It allows both volume control and input switching.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
What you are talking about is an analog preamp with a built in DAC. A different cathegory altogether. This is a digital preamp with digital inputs and outputs. It allows both volume control and input switching.

There is no offical definition of what constitutes a digital preamp. But it is generally understood to be a device with analog outs that can drive a poweramp. Many DAC manufacturers refer to their DACs with volume control as digital preamps. This TotalDAC all digital device is a bit of a rarery, but calling it a digital preamp would be more confusing than calling it a reclocker. I think they should have just called it a 2 channel digital processor and then just explain what it does.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
I have just added some measurements online to show how the D1-digital reclocker attenuates the jitter:
http://www.totaldac.com/D1-digital-eng.htm

AD1955 eval board with high jitter and without D1-digital reclocker:
jitter_added.jpg

AD1955 eval board with high jitter and with D1-digital reclocker:
jitter_removed.jpg

updated rear photo:
D1-digital-rear.jpg

Last edited:

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
So in the first picture you're showing two periods of a 10kHz sinewave with at least +/-2000nS of jitter at 5kHz. I've never seen such a huge amount from any DAC - what's the receiver chip being used?

A CS8416 receiver is used on the AD1955 eval board. Yes it is voluntarily a very high jitter so it is visible even on the DAC analog output at the oscilloscope.

Last edited:

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Nice use of an old school CRT scope! The new Agilents have some pretty cool trace persistence features, not sure if you have looked at them

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Nice use of an old school CRT scope! The new Agilents have some pretty cool trace persistence features, not sure if you have looked at them

Yes the CRT scope can be emulated on a digital scope, but the FFT view of jitter is even more interesting

AD1955 eval baord with very high jitter source:
jitter_added_FFT.jpg

AD1955 eval board with very high jitter cleaned:
jitter_removed_FFT.jpg

Last edited:

michael123

Nov 17, 2011
What is the difference between D1 Single & Dual DACs sonically if using only single-ended/unbalanced outputs?
Why is the need to buy special XLR->RCA adapter if the DAC has RCA outputs?

While 90% of my material is PCM, given the rise of interest now in DSD downloads I would like to know how MPD-5 and TotalDAC D1 compare (single or dual or both) on DSD material..
Let's assume that the source is a computer and in the case of TotalDAC there is a conversion to 176/24 using SACD plug-in (foobar)

MPD-5 is a DSD DAC, and also future-proof.
How upgradable is TotalDAC?

Was the 10 seconds delay during sample rate switch issue - reported on this thread - resolved until now?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Theres no 10 second delay. Re read what I wrote. It has to do with a long fifo buffer that attenuates jitter. Most people think low jitter is a good thing, so its still there. :)

As I previously mentioned in the thread. I had the playback mpd5 with usb-x and I have lots of dsd rips into .dff files. There is no direct comparison between the 2 players because the playback needs a pre amp and totaldac doesn't. I lived with the mpd5 for a full year in the same sytem. So I've got a good handle on it.

As far as pcm, the totaldac is superior to anything I've heard which includes the playback mpd5. The first thing people ask me when they hear excellent redbook: "Is that hi-rez." Can really good dsd via playback mpd5 compare to the best pcm on totaldac? Maybe, who cares? If you convert it to PCM and play it on the totaldac, it will sound as good I bet. I can only go off of memory since a direct comparison is impossible. There's no question that pcm is better on totaldac, IMO.
What is the difference between D1 Single & Dual DACs sonically if using only single-ended/unbalanced outputs?

While 90% of my material is PCM, given the rise of interest now in DSD downloads I would like to know how MPD-5 and TotalDAC D1 compare (single or dual or both) on DSD material..
Let's assume that the source is a computer and in the case of TotalDAC there is a conversion to 176/24 using SACD plug-in (foobar)

MPD-5 is a DSD DAC, and also future-proof.
How upgradable is TotalDAC?

Was the 10 seconds delay during sample rate switch issue - reported on this thread - resolved until now?

michael123

Nov 17, 2011
Thanks, dallasjustice

Do you have single or dual version?
Do you work balanced or unbalanced? Did you try both?

The 10-seconds delay you described as the time required for the device to lock in on incoming signal,
it is indeed too long. I rarely mix single songs from different albums, but sometimes I do.

Sound-wise, you said that the MPD-5 lacked the low-detail resolution, was it in specific frequency region?
How would you describe other sound characteristics, e.g. soundstage?

One interesting feature of upsampling players (like MPD-5) is that they are more forgiving to the bad recordings, I listen frequently to blues and some classic rock titles, and there are plenty of such records..
How TotalDAC behaves here?

Sorry for the investigation :)

Michael

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I have the dual. I don't know about single. The d1 is designed for maximum freedom to the end user when it comes to filters; min phase, linear phase etc. HQplayer is the answer. I select appropriate filters, oversampling and dither depending on the recording. For example, HRX recording don't need any changes whereas older redbook can sound much better. Why wait a year or never for the manufacturer to come up with one size fits all apodizing filter?
Thanks, dallasjustice

Do you have single or dual version?
Do you work balanced or unbalanced? Did you try both?

The 10-seconds delay you described as the time required for the device to lock in on incoming signal,
it is indeed too long. I rarely mix single songs from different albums, but sometimes I do.

Sound-wise, you said that the MPD-5 lacked the low-detail resolution, was it in specific frequency region?
How would you describe other sound characteristics, e.g. soundstage?

One interesting feature of upsampling players (like MPD-5) is that they are more forgiving to the bad recordings, I listen frequently to blues and some classic rock titles, and there are plenty of such records..
How TotalDAC behaves here?

Sorry for the investigation :)

Michael

Last edited:

michael123

Nov 17, 2011
The d1 is designed for maximum freedom to the end user when it comes to filters; min phase, linear phase etc. HQplayer is the answer. I select appropriate filters, oversampling and dither depending on the recording.

I did not understand, can you create/download your/new filters like in MSB?

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com

The D1-dual has a special XLR output which uses two DACs whereas the D1-single uses one DAC for a RCA output. So you will get the best sound from the D1-dual if you use the XLR output. If your amplifier has only RCA inputs you can use XLR to RCA adaptors to make a true balanced to unbalanced conversion. It can be transformer based, it can also be active and it can be other solutions.

I would like to know how MPD-5 and TotalDAC D1 compare (single or dual or both) on DSD material..

Usually people like very much the sound they get from a DSD file converted to pcm by the PC player and then sent to a D1-dual. In this case they get the Totaldac D1 sound quality. They don't need a DSD DAC anymore. The computer will accept most formats, even future formats unknown today, and then the computer converts to a natural format like pcm if necessary. DSD in not better than high rez pcm for non-sigma-delta DAC, direct pcm or DSD converted to pcm are ideal. DSD just embedds the sigma-delta modulation so that the sigma-delta DAC doesn't have to do it internally, it is useless for a R2R DAC.

Yes it takes much less than 10seconds, this has been improved and the fifo memory increases so much the sound.

michael123

Nov 17, 2011
Vincent,
Thanks, I understand what you're saying despite the heavy "marketing" of DSD these days :cool:

dallasjustice,
so you're upsampling the signal on the PC now before sending to TotalDAC?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing