Totaldac Reference D1

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hello CKKeung,
Thank you for your advice. I really welcome your input.
Regarding each point:
"KS Realization Series cables are very good stuff!". The upgrade of speaker cables from Elation to Realization and preamp power cable from Elation to Realization were indeed big improvements. KS Realization is great.

"1) Probably Innuos Statement as a server will win.
2) I got some insider info of the coming SGMS flagship server. It will be even more awesome than the Innuos Statement!" I guess we will have to wait for somebody to hear them both in the same system, to know for sure (for that person and system) which is better.

"3) Vincent offers an upgrade option for his Totaldac Server+Reclocker : an separate ext psu for the server section. It's very effective." My Totaldac Server, purchased late 2017, already has this upgrade.
"4) The Totaldac ethernet cable is outclassed by the other components of your fabulous system. You should consider using a Vertere HB ethernet cable or even better, the Dalby Audio Meda ethernet cable.". Thank you for the advice.
"5) For usb cables suitable for your system, please consider the KS Realization or Vertere HB." Thank you. I heard great things about the KS Realization USB, I will try to hear it in my system.

Cheers,
VPN

Hello VPN,

A very dedicated audiophile your are !
And you are very itchy too!

Looking forward to reading your upgrade report on WBF. ;)

Cheers'
CK

nepherte

Jun 11, 2015
Being a Totaldac owner myself (d1-dual to be precise), and probably upgrading to a d1-six soon, I still remain very skeptical about this server option (not the d1-server). What makes a 100EUR general purpose cubox i4x4 with - i assume - an off the shelf linux distro so special? Where's the added value that warrants a 1000EUR asking price?

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
The Cubox is just the start. It is removed from its plastic box, placed in a shielded enclosure, and mounted on a regulated power supply board. So it is a Cubox yes, but also modified and with a custom power supply. The software is custom as well, and continues to evolve. You also get unlimited support from Vincent. It is not cheap, but I think very fair considering its performance and what you get with Vincent. It really sounds terrific, especially with the GIGAFILTER!

nepherte

Jun 11, 2015
The Cubox is just the start. It is removed from its plastic box, placed in a shielded enclosure
Indeed. That I noticed in the pictures.

and mounted on a regulated power supply board. So it is a Cubox yes, but also modified and with a custom power supply.
Vincent mentioned to me that unless you get the additional psu option (another 950EUR), the psu is shared between dac and cubox. Having a linear psu to power the cubox is a good thing for sure, but since you already got the psu with the dac, i don't think this particular aspect warrants a surcharge (since you already paid for the psu in the dac).

The software is custom as well, and continues to evolve.
Being a software engineer myself, I would be very much interested how 'custom' the software really is. I doubt this 'software' is anything more than a low footprint linux os with a realtime kernel, hopefully stripped from anything other than support for the actual cubox arm device. The advertised support for e.g. mpd and roon, could be nothing more than just installing those software packages. Not that there's anything wrong with this, on the contrary.

**rant about vendors in general**
I've seen many audio vendors claiming oh so special, custom software while in fact it's nothing more than what I just described. It's like somebody claiming they have a super customized computer because they installed Microsoft Office. But in this case, because it's linux, which most people know nothing about, it sounds so advanced.
**end rant**

You also get unlimited support from Vincent
Vincent's support is top notch indeed. I've always enjoyed my dealings with him. This and the fact you can upgrade your dac is one of the reasons I like Totaldac.

It really sounds terrific, especially with the GIGAFILTER!
Couldn't agree more. Or at least I can vouch for his dacs. How much the server module separates itself from similar offerings, is what i'm trying to figure out here :)

Last edited:

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
I can give a comparison that may help. When I had the Totaldac Server in its most basic form, I compared it to the UltraRendu with Sbooster, both using MPD. The Totaldac was clearly superior, and about the same price. I was told that MPD was not the best way to run the UntraRendu, but I quickly gathered which was the obvious rival.

I am not sure how custom the software is either, but I do have many versions to play with and they all sound different. Some are great at some things with trade offs that could be beneficial for system matching, but the latest software in my system, is nicely balanced, squeaky clean, and with no artifacts (on well recorded music of course). He's been playing with this sucker for a long time and it is very finely tuned if you go all out with the separate supply, Ethernet Cable/Filters, and the Gigafilter. I would be curious as to how well the Totaldac Server in full dress compares to some of the very expensive Servers. I don't think it would be embarrassed at all. To put it simply, I can tell precisely where the microphones are in the recordings!

I know what is seen can be interpreted as allot of money for a little, but I can assure you, it is extremely well done sonically, and allot has had to happen behind the scenes for it to be at the place it is now. It is very obvious this equipment's last pieces of test equipment is a finely tuned system and ears.

nepherte

Jun 11, 2015
I can give a comparison that may help. When I had the Totaldac Server in its most basic form, I compared it to the UltraRendu with Sbooster, both using MPD. The Totaldac was clearly superior, and about the same price. I was told that MPD was not the best way to run the UntraRendu, but I quickly gathered which was the obvious rival.
Thanks for the feedback. Exactly the kind of information I am also looking for. I have a microRendu with Uptone LPS-1. Currently deciding whether I should upgrade to the UltraRendu or opt for the built-in server module. Just to clarify, when you mean Totaldac Server, you mean the one that includes the reclocker? Or the built-in server module, which is indeed roughly around the same price?

I am not sure how custom the software is either, but I do have many versions to play with and they all sound different. Some are great at some things with trade offs that could be beneficial for system matching, but the latest software in my system, is nicely balanced, squeaky clean, and with no artifacts (on well recorded music of course). He's been playing with this sucker for a long time and it is very finely tuned if you go all out with the separate supply, Ethernet Cable/Filters, and the Gigafilter. I would be curious as to how well the Totaldac Server in full dress compares to some of the very expensive Servers. I don't think it would be embarrassed at all. To put it simply, I can tell precisely where the microphones are in the recordings!
Interesting. You mention you have many version to play around with? Does Totaldac distribute software updates? I would be using it as a Roon endpoint.

I know what is seen can be interpreted as allot of money for a little, but I can assure you, it is extremely well done sonically, and allot has had to happen behind the scenes for it to be at the place it is now. It is very obvious this equipment's last pieces of test equipment is a finely tuned system and ears.
For me it's more about value for the money, regardless of whether it is a lot of money :)

Ohlins

Mar 1, 2015
Singapore
I’m using a D1-dual with onboard server + additional power supply for server board ..... it is significantly better than a NAD M-50 server it replaced .....

Just wondering how much better is the D1 server vs the onboard version ....

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
when you mean Totaldac Server, you mean the one that includes the reclocker? Or the built-in server module, which is indeed roughly around the same price?

I mean the module. I used the UR into the same reclocker input Vincent's server plugs into. Basically, I bypassed the internal Cubox to try the UR.

Interesting. You mention you have many version to play around with? Does Totaldac distribute software updates? I would be using it as a Roon endpoint.

Yes, he sends out updates periodically, and they also tailor the sound of ROON. I still use MPD myself. I am sure he could provide all the software currently available for you to try, but the latest one is very good and works with no problems.

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
I’m using a D1-dual with onboard server + additional power supply for server board ..... it is significantly better than a NAD M-50 server it replaced .....

Just wondering how much better is the D1 server vs the onboard version ....

I think it should be a significant improvement. It adds another layer of reclocking, and the Totaldac Reclockers really work well. I have the 4 box Twelve, and could not go back to 3 box (only one reclocker). I tried!! The improvement is obvious.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi all,
Here, the last big one of the family and its conversion R2R directly amplified like his father, the d1-Twelve...
I have the chance to listen to it for a few days at home and it's a new great musical experience !

http://www.totaldac.com/D1-direct-en.htm

Be well in music

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi all,
Here, the last big one of the family and its conversion R2R directly amplified like his father, the d1-Twelve...
I have the chance to listen to it for a few days at home and it's a new great musical experience !
http://www.totaldac.com/D1-direct-en.htm
Be well in music

Hello BF38,

You are a very lucky guy! :rolleyes:

I remember that you are a D1-Seven owner.
The D1-Direct and D1-Seven have the same price.

Would you please elaborate more on your assessment on the similarities & diff of Seven vs Direct vs Twelve?

Many thanks!

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Hello BF38,

You are a very lucky guy! :rolleyes:

I remember that you are a D1-Seven owner.
The D1-Direct and D1-Seven have the same price.

Would you please elaborate more on your assessment on the similarities & diff of Seven vs Direct vs Twelve?

Many thanks!

Let me 2nd that congratulations BF38!
I have a Six and was thinking of upgrading to the Seven but now I need to seriously consider the Direct, so I would also be very
interested in your assessment of the two DACs.

I also see that Vincent recommends contacting him re: smaller output voltage of the Direct, in order to assess suitability to one's specific system.
By my calculations, the Direct is 3.9dB lower than the Six on RCA (1.6V rms vs. 2.5V rms) and 9.9dB lower on XLR (1.6V rms vs. 5V rms).
Then assuming a transparent volume control on the DAC, the system suitability could be determined empirically by lowering the DAC output by either 3.9 or 9.9dB
depending on how the DAC is connected.

Cheers

Last edited:

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi all,
about this very new box, my words are not the result of direct comparison, just the result of personal impression, so my first and immediate listening experience of this d1-direct has been the sense of transparency with all that that allows for the musical message and its intentions ... the "pipe" seemed to me more widely open for more proximity with the musical event and this feeling is exactly what I felt when, quite many times, i listened to d1-twelve and this amazing sensation.

So that's what happened, simple impressions ... the d1-seven remains the best one-box dac with its versatility but if the system is "direct compatible" then his brother becomes a very serious option to take another step towards d1-Twelve.

and here we go.
Be well in music.

Last edited:

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi,
Here are 2 or 3 weeks that we learn to know each other, this d1-direct and me, and I must say that following the thread of notes, I discover every day, a little more about it and what it has to reveal to me from the musical message... stunning, the music is just there, offered in all its simplicity, it's nothing and that's all !

Bruno, lucky... happy.

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
Hi,
Here are 2 or 3 weeks that we learn to know each other, this d1-direct and me, and I must say that following the thread of notes, I discover every day, a little more about it and what it has to reveal to me from the musical message... stunning, the music is just there, offered in all its simplicity, it's nothing and that's all !

Bruno, lucky... happy.

Hi Bruno,

Congratulations. I own the D1-Twelve (no active output stage version) so I fully understand what you are hearing. Enjoy!

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi Arnies, thanks a lot !
i think, you live with an amazing system and it must be a so great experience to listen to music as well!

Be well in music
Bruno

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Hi,

Bruno, lucky... happy.

That sounds wonderful. I just did an experiment to confirm my system is suitable. If I run RCA (instead of balanced) from my d1-six to the pass xp-22 pre-amp (which is balanced out to Ayon monoblocks), I see about a 6dB drop based on equalizing sound with the
totaldac volume control. Running RCA with an additional 3-4dB attenuation (2.5v drops to 1.6v rms for d1-direct) was a good functional test for emulating the d1-direct's reduced output level.
This was well inside the window I need in order to have sufficient volume dynamic range, so it looks like I can go for the d1-direct instead of the d1-seven.........now to start looking under the sofa cushions for more lost quarters and dimes :)

I visited Vincent last summer and had my d1-dual upgraded to d1-six, but passed at that time on the opportunity to go for the (not yet announced) d1-seven...........in retrospect, glad I waited.

I was impressed by the d1-twelve in Vincent's listening room, but intentionally avoided a direct (no pun intended) comparison to lesser units.
However, I found the different system variables hard to account for, as the horn speakers were so different from my Nola.......my brain can typically assess only one change of variables at a time.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know about your super system ! cat6man but Thursday evening we were able to compare with a friend neighbor , his d1-six with this Direct.
on his system 845 voxativ monoblocks, Modwright 36.5 DM pre amp and his Zeth voxativ speakers + sub... and even if he had to turn on the volume,
the comparison turned quite quickly as the Direct's richness and natural seemed so obvious and we spent this evening, just listening to music with.

My friend was very impressed and even though his Six is still doing a great job, it seems to me that they really do not play in the same musical league as you can imagine if you have already had the chance to listen to music with the Twelve on Vincent's system! and even I agree, not always easy to project this
on his own system, the harmonic richness remains the harmonic richness and the evidence of the natural remains the evidence of the natural...
In short without twisting... i think, a great source is a great source !

Bruno

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing