Totaldac Reference D1

john21wall

Jan 27, 2016
www.obrzezeogrodowe.pl
Nice report. Is the D1 you have/had in your system the dual version (9.1k euros), or single (6.8k euros)? I realize the stock pics are of the dual, but that means little. It is slightly confusing which one Srajan reviewed (dual but used rcas), as well, as he references both, as does Vincent in his linked comments on his site. Thx

Gladiator

Oct 8, 2015
Guess what came in yesterday........ The D1- Six is unbelievably good! I must admit that I had my reservations but any fears have been put to rest. It's only been one day and it clearly meets and exceeds my expectations. I'm sure it only gets better with time. Thanks to everyone here for the encouragements and advice.

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
Guess what came in yesterday........ The D1- Six is unbelievably good! I must admit that I had my reservations but any fears have been put to rest. It's only been one day and it clearly meets and exceeds my expectations. I'm sure it only gets better with time. Thanks to everyone here for the encouragements and advice.

Congrats! Yes it definitely improves over a few days.

How would you describe the sound compared to what you had before?

Guillaume

Gladiator

Oct 8, 2015
Congrats! Yes it definitely improves over a few days.

How would you describe the sound compared to what you had before?

Guillaume

The sound now has more presence with a very black/quiet background, greater pinpoint accuracy and tons of ambient details, that were hard to hear before (but there) with my previous DAC. The one thing that really gets me giggling with joy is the very precise and natural presentation without being clinical, "digital sounding" or dry...... It's just the most organic, and natural sounding DAC I have heard the pleasure of listening to so far.

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
The sound now has more presence with a very black/quiet background, greater pinpoint accuracy and tons of ambient details, that were hard to hear before (but there) with my previous DAC. The one thing that really gets me giggling with joy is the very precise and natural presentation without being clinical, "digital sounding" or dry...... It's just the most organic, and natural sounding DAC I have heard the pleasure of listening to so far.

Yup I concur. This DAC really excels at 24 bit PCM (well everything really but I'm particularly impressed by its abilities with 96kHz and 192kHz material). How are you finding DSD on it?

My additional power supply for the d1 server its on its way, really excited about this.

Guillaume

Gladiator

Oct 8, 2015
Yup I concur. This DAC really excels at 24 bit PCM (well everything really but I'm particularly impressed by its abilities with 96kHz and 192kHz material). How are you finding DSD on it?

My additional power supply for the d1 server its on its way, really excited about this.

Guillaume

So far I have only tinkered with PCM, & it sounds glorious! I tried DSD just to make sure it works. One glitch that occurre more than twice while playing DSD was 1-2 second dropouts. I mentioned this to Vincent, & he mentioned that the problem could lie on my computers end and not the Totaldac. I will investigate further later.

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
The additional power supply arrived for my d1 server yesterday. I had to remove the lid which was relatively straightforward using the enclosed screwdriver and small allen key!

Once inside the unit I had to disconnect one jack and connect another. See guide here:

http://www.totaldac.com/fichiers/mounting_the_second_server_power_supply.pdf

So now my d1 server had 2 external power supplies! I powered everything up and played some music just to let things settle for a bit. About half an hour later curiosity got the better of me and I sat down to have a listen.

I know there is a tendency to get carried away with the superlatives when describing a nice improvement but wow this was dramatic! I certainly hadn't expected this.

My d1-six has now reached an altogether new level of performance that is simply astonishing. :) Almost the sort of improvement I would imagine one gets from going from a d1-six to d1-twelve!

Guillaume

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
The additional power supply arrived for my d1 server yesterday. I had to remove the lid which was relatively straightforward using the enclosed screwdriver and small allen key!

Once inside the unit I had to disconnect one jack and connect another. See guide here:

http://www.totaldac.com/fichiers/mounting_the_second_server_power_supply.pdf

So now my d1 server had 2 external power supplies! I powered everything up and played some music just to let things settle for a bit. About half an hour later curiosity got the better of me and I sat down to have a listen.

I know there is a tendency to get carried away with the superlatives when describing a nice improvement but wow this was dramatic! I certainly hadn't expected this.

My d1-six has now reached an altogether new level of performance that is simply astonishing. :) Almost the sort of improvement I would imagine one gets from going from a d1-six to d1-twelve!

Guillaume
agreed the PSU upgrade is a huge improvement :)

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
I concur.... The new separate supply upgrade for the Server Module is very good and well worth the cost of admission. I highly recommend doing this. More transparency, lower noise floor, and better midrange clarity. Also more on display is ambient information and I can better hear the very back of the soundstage playing classical music. Following individual artists music lines is much easier and spooky good. Just more of everything to love!!

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
I concur.... The new separate supply upgrade for the Server Module is very good and well worth the cost of admission. I highly recommend doing this. More transparency, lower noise floor, and better midrange clarity. Also more on display is ambient information and I can better hear the very back of the soundstage playing classical music. Following individual artists music lines is much easier and spooky good. Just more of everything to love!!
giphy.gif

Gladiator

Oct 8, 2015
Just wondering if anyone is using a USB converter with their Totaldac. I don't have the Totaldac server or Totaldac reclocker, but wondering if a USB converter or a Totaldac reclocker will bring significant improvements. I will probably be on the hunt for a used Totaldac reclocker since the d1-Six has left my pockets empty. :)

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
Converter.... I assume you mean a USB to SPDIF? None better than the Totaldac Reclocker for this. You could also add the server module to one of these at a later date for the best solution.

Gladiator

Oct 8, 2015
Converter.... I assume you mean a USB to SPDIF? None better than the Totaldac Reclocker for this. You could also add the server module to one of these at a later date for the best solution.

Thanks for the advise. I will look to add the reclocker to the D1-Six.

Last edited:

wstam

Feb 17, 2013

I concur with the positive impact of the separate power supply to the server. Highly recommend.

I opened the new power supply to the cubox. It is very simple inside. A transformer and an IC. I am wondering if those high end third party linear PS will improve it further? Unfortunately it's 26V DC. If it uses the common 12V DC, we should be able to try it easily.

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
Your fancy linear supplies are regulated most times. I believe the new supply for the server module is unregulated, and the regulating takes place on the server board itself.

What I am getting at is, it may not be a good idea to put a regulated supply in front of a regulated supply. However, you can try it! I also doubt that you need 26V. You would have to get the information from Vincent about this if you want to try another power supply with lower voltage.

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Gladiator

Oct 8, 2015
Has anyone ever tried using the dCS Puccini U-Clock as a USB to SPDIF converter on a Totaldac?
I'm engulfed by the idea that, I haven't unlocked the true potential of the D1-Six until I separate my PC from the D1-Six. If anybody has a lead on a used Totaldac reclocker I would be interested. Vincent has also graciously agreed to be on the lookout for me as well.

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
I haven't unlocked the true potential of the D1-Six until I separate my PC

You got this absolutely right. No exp. with the DCS U-Clock, but hope you find what you are looking for.

Update on the server supply upgrade: O...M...G!!! Quite a stunning achievement from Vincent this is. Image focus is so good, it is very close to real, and I mean very real and convincing with this upgrade. I cannot stop listening to it!!

Gladiator

Oct 8, 2015
I overlooked the fact that my digital cable is AES and the U-clock only has SPIDF :(
I have since set my sites on the Lamipzator USB transport. It seems interesting. Does anyone here have any experience with it?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing