Totaldac Reference D1

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
thank you CKKeung, but congratulations again and especially to Vincent Brient
for these new and recent stunning works.

And yes ! this USB Gigafilter really makes sense to the Totaldac DA conversion and probably also, as you noticed, in other systems
where this "capricious" USB is part of the line, who knows ?... to confirm (or not) during your next listenings!

And as I understand you, Paul79 !!!

Iamrael

Nov 3, 2017
thank you CKKeung, but congratulations again and especially to Vincent Brient
for these new and recent stunning works.

And yes ! this USB Gigafilter really makes sense to the Totaldac DA conversion and probably also, as you noticed, in other systems
where this "capricious" USB is part of the line, who knows ?... to confirm (or not) during your next listenings!
And as I understand you, Paul79 !!!

Hi BF38,

Congratulations, and thanks for your posts. Your excitement for the new upgrades really shines through, and as a new member of the TotalDAC family it pleases me to hear your enthusiasm. Enjoy!

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Enjoy too !! Iamrael.

and Jeffy, yes ! I noticed that these DACs need a few days to develop their full expression, 2 or 3 days sometimes more.
the first hours can be scary, sharp and tight then everything gradually relaxes

and no, I never changed this fuses ... is it important?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Enjoy too !! Iamrael.

and Jeffy, yes ! I noticed that these DACs need a few days to develop their full expression, 2 or 3 days sometimes more.
the first hours can be scary, sharp and tight then everything gradually relaxes
and no, I never changed this fuses ... is it important?

Important of course!
Cost of Audiophile fuses is affordable and the resulting effect is large. Completely reversible. Why not?

There are many brands to choose from.
In Hong Kong the new Synergistic Research Blue fuse is currently popular. http://www.synergisticresearch.com/fuses/blue/

There is even a better but much more expensive CRAZY fuse - Brimar Audio fuse. http://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=106840 Dare to try?

BTW the direction of the fuse affects the performance. Please test both directions.

Fish07

Apr 17, 2015
I recently purchased the second power supply unit(PSU) kit for my d1-server together with the USB Gigafilter cable/filter which I use to connect the USB port from the cubox board at the back of the server to the server reclocker's USB port. Installation of the second PSU was straightforward thanks to Vincent's instruction manual.
Having lived with the two upgrades for a week or so, I just wanted to share my impressions. I have the 3 unit d1-twelve DAC which drives my Pass Labs power amps directly.
The first thing I noticed was a significant improvement in image focus and solidarity: instruments seemed much "tighter" and better defined in space. Resolution also increased, allowing me to hear previously inaudible details. Moreover, as I listened more, it became clear that the intensity and contrast of tonal colour and timbre were significantly improved. At the frequency extremes, bass was subjectively more extended and more tuneful, while treble was cleaner and sweeter with less "hash" on those less-than-perfect digital recordings.
Overall, a significant improvement in sound quality and well worth the investment, in my opinion. I haven't tried to ascertain how much of the improvement is due to the second PSU and how much the Gigafilter, but taken together I can't imagine anyone being disappointed if you decide to upgrade. I hope this was helpful.
Now if anyone's in the market for a used standard USB cable/filter, let me know!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I recently purchased the second power supply unit(PSU) kit for my d1-server together with the USB Gigafilter cable/filter which I use to connect the USB port from the cubox board at the back of the server to the server reclocker's USB port. Installation of the second PSU was straightforward thanks to Vincent's instruction manual.
Having lived with the two upgrades for a week or so, I just wanted to share my impressions. I have the 3 unit d1-twelve DAC which drives my Pass Labs power amps directly.
The first thing I noticed was a significant improvement in image focus and solidarity: instruments seemed much "tighter" and better defined in space. Resolution also increased, allowing me to hear previously inaudible details. Moreover, as I listened more, it became clear that the intensity and contrast of tonal colour and timbre were significantly improved. At the frequency extremes, bass was subjectively more extended and more tuneful, while treble was cleaner and sweeter with less "hash" on those less-than-perfect digital recordings.
Overall, a significant improvement in sound quality and well worth the investment, in my opinion. I haven't tried to ascertain how much of the improvement is due to the second PSU and how much the Gigafilter, but taken together I can't imagine anyone being disappointed if you decide to upgrade. I hope this was helpful.
Now if anyone's in the market for a used standard USB cable/filter, let me know!

Congratulation!
Concerning the Totaldac Gigafilter usb cable, I borrowed it for home trial last week. Excellent performance.
I rank it on par with my favourite usb cable - Vertere HB V3.
The latter has a bit more resolution whereas Gigafilter is richer in midrange and upper bass.
They suit diff systems and taste.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Congrats too,
tonal balance offered by the Totaldac USB Gigafilter is, also, definitely exceptional on my system !
And for my personal feeling, the musical impact of USB Gigafilter is a little bit more "meaningfull" than the second server PSU
but their association is a really essential upgrade... so stunning !

Be well with music.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
oups

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Curious if anyone compared no cable (just USB to USB ~3" adapter) to the new Totaldac cable. I have the original cable and no cable is better.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
Hi all,
A review of the d1-seven by Audiostream (belongs to Stereophile) has been released: https://www.audiostream.com/content/totaldac-d1-seven

"Here are my first impressions: Wow
The d1-seven is by far one of the most stunning DACs I've had the pleasure to hear my music through.
The totaldac d1-seven excels at reproducing music's life, energy, and delicate nuance.
Once seated, there's a lock-in into the space and time of the recording that is at once addictive and entrancing.
Every aspect of a recording-space, sounds, movement, texture, color, meaning- are conveyed with an uncanny realness.
Come to think of it, rightness may be the better word.
If you want to hear your file-based music at its best, at the peak of its acoustic power, I recommend the totaldac d1-seven as your guide."

Ohlins

Mar 1, 2015
Singapore
I'm sure the d1-seven is very good but at the moment, i could only afford a d1-dual and i'm very contented and enjoying its beautiful sound .....

caesar

May 30, 2010
Is anyone using TotalDac in a single-ended system? How much substance of the sound is lost by converting from TotalDac's balanced architecture to single-ended?
Thank you

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Is anyone using TotalDac in a single-ended system? How much substance of the sound is lost by converting from TotalDac's balanced architecture to single-ended?
Thank you

Me. I use the Six driving my Spectral DMA 260. The result is stellar. I do not think there is any lost of "substance of the sound".

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
I'm sure the d1-seven is very good but at the moment, i could only afford a d1-dual and i'm very contented and enjoying its beautiful sound .....

That is a wonderful spot to be in. I found you can get a good band for your buck by adding a ultraRendu with a good power supply (lps1.2 for example) and boost the performance noticeably.
Depends of course on how you are feeding it now

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing