Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 206061626364656667686970

Thread: Totaldac Reference D1

The Cubox is just the start. It is removed from its plastic box, placed in a shielded enclosure, and mounted on a regulated power supply board. So it is a Cubox yes, but also modified and with a custom power supply. The software is custom as well, and continues to evolve. You also get unlimited support from Vincent. It is not cheap, but I think very fair considering its performance and what you get with Vincent. It really sounds terrific, especially with the GIGAFILTER!

Quote Originally Posted by paul79 View Post
    The Cubox is just the start. It is removed from its plastic box, placed in a shielded enclosure
    Indeed. That I noticed in the pictures.

and mounted on a regulated power supply board. So it is a Cubox yes, but also modified and with a custom power supply.
    Vincent mentioned to me that unless you get the additional psu option (another 950EUR), the psu is shared between dac and cubox. Having a linear psu to power the cubox is a good thing for sure, but since you already got the psu with the dac, i don't think this particular aspect warrants a surcharge (since you already paid for the psu in the dac).

The software is custom as well, and continues to evolve.
    Being a software engineer myself, I would be very much interested how 'custom' the software really is. I doubt this 'software' is anything more than a low footprint linux os with a realtime kernel, hopefully stripped from anything other than support for the actual cubox arm device. The advertised support for e.g. mpd and roon, could be nothing more than just installing those software packages. Not that there's anything wrong with this, on the contrary.

**rant about vendors in general**
    I've seen many audio vendors claiming oh so special, custom software while in fact it's nothing more than what I just described. It's like somebody claiming they have a super customized computer because they installed Microsoft Office. But in this case, because it's linux, which most people know nothing about, it's sounds so advanced.
    **end rant**

You also get unlimited support from Vincent
    Vincent's support is top notch indeed. I've always enjoyed my dealings with him. This and the fact you can upgrade your dac is one of the reasons I like Totaldac.

It really sounds terrific, especially with the GIGAFILTER!
    Couldn't agree more. Or at least I can vouch for his dacs. How much the server module separates itself from similar offerings, is what i'm trying to figure out here
    Last edited by nepherte; Yesterday at 10:48 PM.

Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 206061626364656667686970