Where do you buy your music

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Hi i just want to know where you all buy your music, being from Quebec Canada i cannot afford to buy my cd,s here they are to ungry all stores exagerate on prices the choice is also very poor for those reasons my main place to buy is in the good old USA.

www.cduniverse.com = U.S.A. For all regular material

www.cdjapan.co.jp = Japan. For all Japanese pressings

http://www.steveroach.com/store/ = For my favorite newage artists

http://www.steveroach.com/discography/ = Mr. Steve Roach"s Discography with over 125 albums.

PS: When it's a special artist that i care for alot and the Cd is available Japanese pressing i don't mind paying a little extra good quality systems need good quality recordings. Garbage in = Garbage out.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Amazon...i buy nearly all my cd's second hand. i have probably now purchased closing in on 700 cd's for an average of roughly 3 bucks each (except the FIM, K2, MFSL Gold, XRCD ones)...and i have truly enjoyed being able to spend a fraction (20%) of what i used to spend on a cd 20 years ago. And just build up my music library as long as these are around at this kind of cost.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
been stockpiling too, im not a torrent, free down load kinda guy (read: illegal) i buy mostly used on amazon, ebay as well. its amazing how much sellers will beat each other up on price, many times the $2.98 for shipping is more than the cost of the disc itself :eek:

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
been stockpiling too, im not a torrent, free down load kinda guy (read: illegal) i buy mostly used on amazon, ebay as well. its amazing how much sellers will beat each other up on price, many times the $2.98 for shipping is more than the cost of the disc itself :eek:

I agree 100% but Amazon.com and Amazon.ca are very very different the choice in Amazon.com is MUCH bigger.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
fwiw, i buy from Amazon.com, .co.uk, .anywhere i can find what i am looking for at the best price.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I buy only vinyl, and these days it seems that I am always scouring the entire world for it. There is nothing more frustrating than to find a gem in someplace like Norway, only to discover that the seller doesn't ship abroad, however.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
new vinyl is chancy, likely it was digitized somewhere in the chain. besides chad and bob bantz, i get new vinyl from soundstagedirect.com they're exclusively vinyl and their sales have deeper discounts. i stick with premium reissues almost guaranteed to be analog throughout.

have not considered amazon for vinyl, seeing the way they pack CD's it seemed risky. two of the SACDs i just got from a recent order have badly cracked jewel cases.

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Buy?? :confused:

Music seems to just show up on my doorstep from either FedEx or UPS!

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I probably had several hundred records in the early 80's. When 'perfect sound forever' was announced, ca 1984, i started on a vinyl buying frenzy. Every town I visited for business- stopped in record stores. London- record stores. Paris- record stores. Los Angeles. Cleveland. Pittsburgh. Albany. Princeton. NYC. Nashville.
Bought records from Chad before there was an Internet, as such. (I think i still have some of those photocopied lists of his somewhere). Acquired quite a few, courtesy of a friend who happened to work at the Tower Records Annex or whatever it was called, where all the vinyl got sent to exile. A friend died, and I bought the collection- which I cherish- from his widow. I guess I have around 10,000 records, in reality probably more, and many, many of them, I'm ashamed to admit, I have not had the chance to listen to because I was working 85 hour weeks for year after year after year. (Oh, sure, I'd fire up a handful when in town, not travelling, and when I could make the time).
I retired recently, and although I still 'work' (in music related fields), I now have the time to listen. It is a joy. I am pulling out records I never heard, or haven't heard in years. Classical, old jazz, pop, blues, rock, female vocal, folk, suites for clarinet and bassoon, double bass and harmonica, dub records, punk records, EPs, old pressings, White Dogs, Lyritas, Mercurys, Asylums, old 70's Warner Bros, Atlantic, Concord, Verve, direct to disc, Swedish test records, Bob Dylan in japanese records, japanese pressings of english records, RCA novelty records, records about the plague, recordings of giant peruvian horns being blown by swedish musicians recorded on obscure labels, etc.
I still buy records. Online, at record stores, from e-bay, from people at yard sales, from neighbors who can't stand to look at the boxes of records moldering in their basements, from Russian refugees who had Led Zeppelin records printed in cyrillic, from homeless people in Greenwich Village trying to make a score, from other collectors, and occasionally, I run across one of the many records I bought when I was a kid and somehow managed for more than 45 years to keep. I play them all. I like records.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Whart,

Great story! Enjoy! That sounds like one great collection...10,0000! Whew!

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
I buy my music from Ebay, Amazon, FYE, and a few locally owned B&M stores. Like a few others, I primarily buy used unless it's brand new and something I must have. I still enjoy spinning CDs so I rarely ever buy any digital downloads.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Andre, for me it don't matter where I buy my music; if I want something, I get.
And price is not an option in my book.

* Just too many places to enumerate; and most of them were special orders from New York, California, & overseas (the good stuff).

** May I recommend that you find the style of music you like and then hit whoever is the best supplier in that genre. :b
And don't sweat it to pay premiums for the best recording studio labels.
Also, you can check your local libraries and their music archives. ...Some gems are to be found there.

...And the more people you know who also are music lovers and with an orientation in your own style is a bonus attribute.

And you can trade music with your friends. ...Exchanges. :b ...It's FREE.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
I buy from lots of places - cds and vinyl (more and more these days). I try to buy most of my stuff from my local record store: Main Street Music in Manyunk, Phila. I often get to see live music there too!

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Just about anywhere that has what I am looking for, Online, B&M, etc...
Have not bought any vinyl since early 2K, about 2k-->3K worth in storage though.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing