Carver Amazing Line Source

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
For years I have been a fan of line source or quasi-line source speakers because of their imaging and their ability to function well in unusual spaces. Therefore, I am quite interested in the Carver Amazing Line Source speaker because while there is a lot of P.T. Barnum in Bob Carver, there is also a lot of talent and some formidable past achievements, plus some less than formidable ones.

Although the speaker was released last month, there is essentially nothing out there, nor are there any detailed comments about the sound from their official debut at Axpona show in April.

Does anyone know anything about the speaker and its sound, rather than just weighing in on the man behind it?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Mobiusman. While I have heard them, I heard them in an "un-final" stage. I have contacted some folks who have heard it at Bob's house. Very few members here [on this forum] have heard it and those that did may have observations that vary depending on what day they herd it on for the debut. It seems that some gear showed up late for the show and the room presented a challenge that took a while to get optimized. I wish I could offer more but at this point, my observations would be akin to evaluating the handling abilities of a Corvette on a track that has a layer of oil on it. That said, I can offer you a definitive answer in September. They will be at an audio event [Carverfest] held in the mountains of North Carolina September 7th-17th.

Tom

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I look forward to your observations. I have concerns about the ribbon because of reports of harshness in the past, plus unreliability, but one never knows with Carver.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Ditto. Disappointing. Though as people pointed out, the sound was the same everywhere in the room.

Yep. It sounded like crap no matter where you were in the room.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Good afternoon, gentlemen. Please allow me to follow up from post #2. The speakers never did make it to Carverfest, even though his plans were to have a set there. Bob was still working on something with the speakers. That said, from all of the feedback I have read, they do seem to be a flop. Even with the sub augmentation.

Tom

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Given Carver's track record, frankly I was surprised.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I think "flop" may be a bit of an exaggeration, because I think the speakers have a lot of potential. They showed in too small a room, for one thing. The tonal balance was off as well. Both of those can be fixed and I for one would be curious to hear it again if some adustments/modifications were made

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I think you have a point. It just sounded like an unfinished design to me.

Odysseus

Jun 2, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Hi gents,
I've personally listened to the Amazing Line Source speakers in the proper environment -Bob Carver's listening room. Before making the trip to the Seattle area where he lives, I extensibility listened to some excellent speakers at my friends' homes: Sanus Faber, Focal, big Ushers, as well as my own Infinity Kappa 9, Kef reference, and Polk SDA 3.1tl. After listening to Bob's speakers properly setup, I can say that they're the most Majestic and involving speakers I've ever heard, they're truly addictive. While I was there I got to compare them side by side with a set of $32,000 Genesis 350se, a set of Sanus Faber Amati, and Sanus Faber Electa Amator and I prefer the sound of the Carvers... By a lot! I don't know what happened at RMAF, maybe they didn't have the final tube crossover/eq network and I know Bob wasn't there at RMAF to set them up properly. I know Bob is still working on them and I'm sure when the finished product is available, it will be truly amazing!

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Hi gents,
I've personally listened to the Amazing Line Source speakers in the proper environment -Bob Carver's listening room. Before making the trip to the Seattle area where he lives, I extensibility listened to some excellent speakers at my friends' homes: Sanus Faber, Focal, big Ushers, as well as my own Infinity Kappa 9, Kef reference, and Polk SDA 3.1tl. After listening to Bob's speakers properly setup, I can say that they're the most Majestic and involving speakers I've ever heard, they're truly addictive. While I was there I got to compare them side by side with a set of $32,000 Genesis 350se, a set of Sanus Faber Amati, and Sanus Faber Electa Amator and I prefer the sound of the Carvers... By a lot! I don't know what happened at RMAF, maybe they didn't have the final tube crossover/eq network and I know Bob wasn't there at RMAF to set them up properly. I know Bob is still working on them and I'm sure when the finished product is available, it will be truly amazing!

Great review on the Carver ALS in The Absolute Sound!

Anyone else thinks that the TAS reviewer has it right? (by asking the question, I somehow admit some scepticism with a magazine review is rarely out of place...)

TitaniumTroy

Jan 11, 2011
South Bend IN
Maybe they will show up at AXPONA 2016, with all the bugs worked out. I would love to hear them, curious as to what crossover points they use. Wonder if you can use another subwoofer besides Bob's SubRosa?

SeattleAudiophile

Feb 29, 2016
Interesting twist using ribbons (look like big EMITs) and side-firing "woofers". I wonder what the crossover point is, how well it images, and the frequency response...

I would guess the crossover is around 125 hz. Frequency response about 18-30000hz plus/minus 2 db, lesser from about 150 hz-20khz, more below 50 hz. Would otherwise have to see a graph. The sound is impressive. And they can handle power, about 950 rms watts/channel when I heard them.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Resurrecting a four year old post? Did he "finish" the ALS, anybody heard the newest version? I skimmed the review and it seems he has refined it significantly based on those listening impressions.

bradleyaudio

Mar 16, 2016
Resurrecting a four year old post? Did he "finish" the ALS, anybody heard the newest version? I skimmed the review and it seems he has refined it significantly based on those listening impressions.
Looking at the speakers, the ribbon drivers look identical to the Sunfire Ribbon XT series (which I used to own). Those crossover at 1.5KHz, I doubt that the Carver is far off from that. Using many drivers in parallel allows some reduction in crossover frequency, but not a ton. I could be wrong though...
Basically this speaker looks like a Ribbon XT with a whole bunch of ribbons and likely improved mid-bass units (and an included sub - I have heard the Sub Rosa, nice unit)
I liked my Ribbon XTs quite a bit, but replaced them with Newform Research, which is closer to the Carver ALS in configuration.

I have huge respect for Bob, I have owned a number of his products, and hope he is successful in his new company.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing