Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carver Amazing Line Source

Carver Amazing Line Source

For years I have been a fan of line source or quasi-line source speakers because of their imaging and their ability to function well in unusual spaces. Therefore, I am quite interested in the Carver Amazing Line Source speaker because while there is a lot of P.T. Barnum in Bob Carver, there is also a lot of talent and some formidable past achievements, plus some less than formidable ones.

Although the speaker was released last month, there is essentially nothing out there, nor are there any detailed comments about the sound from their official debut at Axpona show in April.

Does anyone know anything about the speaker and its sound, rather than just weighing in on the man behind it?
    Russ The Mobiusman

Hello, Mobiusman. While I have heard them, I heard them in an "un-final" stage. I have contacted some folks who have heard it at Bob's house. Very few members here [on this forum] have heard it and those that did may have observations that vary depending on what day they herd it on for the debut. It seems that some gear showed up late for the show and the room presented a challenge that took a while to get optimized. I wish I could offer more but at this point, my observations would be akin to evaluating the handling abilities of a Corvette on a track that has a layer of oil on it. That said, I can offer you a definitive answer in September. They will be at an audio event [Carverfest] held in the mountains of North Carolina September 7th-17th.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

I post my own opinions except when posting as a moderator in green.

I look forward to your observations. I have concerns about the ribbon because of reports of harshness in the past, plus unreliability, but one never knows with Carver.
    Russ The Mobiusman

WBF Technical Expert
    Interesting twist using ribbons (look like big EMITs) and side-firing "woofers". I wonder what the crossover point is, how well it images, and the frequency response...
    Don Herman
    "After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley

Apparently these speakers were at the RMAF and that the report was that everything was wrong with them. It is sad.
    Russ The Mobiusman

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    It was a dud for me Russ
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    Industry Affiliation........Lamm Dealer
    My System

WBF Founding Member MylesBAstor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Williams View Post
    It was a dud for me Russ
    Ditto. Disappointing. Though as people pointed out, the sound was the same everywhere in the room.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD
    Senior Assistant Editor, Positive-Feedback Online
    www.positive-feedback.com; Executive Editor, www.AVShowrooms.com

Skepticism is the sadism of embittered souls.

There is something to be said in doing things wrong the exact same way every time. Itís not a good thing, but still.

WBF Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MylesBAstor View Post
    Ditto. Disappointing. Though as people pointed out, the sound was the same everywhere in the room.
    Yep. It sounded like crap no matter where you were in the room.

Good afternoon, gentlemen. Please allow me to follow up from post #2. The speakers never did make it to Carverfest, even though his plans were to have a set there. Bob was still working on something with the speakers. That said, from all of the feedback I have read, they do seem to be a flop. Even with the sub augmentation.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

I post my own opinions except when posting as a moderator in green.

WBF Founding Member
    Given Carver's track record, frankly I was surprised.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast